1. A PRACTICAL TRAINING SEMINAR
SURATGARH SUPER THERMAL
SAGAR KR. SHARMA
VII SEM. (MECHANICAL ENGG.)
S.S.T.P.S is situated near village
Ranyawali , Tahshil Suratgarh District Shri
2. At present there are 6 units of 250MW .
3. These 6 units were installed in four
stages1st stage -1st and 2nd unit
2nd stage -3rd and 4th unit
3rd stage -5th unit
4th stage - 6th unit
Therefore, total generation capacity
3. LAND :
Water conducting 354
4. WATER CONDUCTING SYSTEM:
a) Length of Intake Canal=
b) Capacity of each Decilting Pump=
c) Intake Pump House=
90 Kw*6(1250M³/Hr.)Each Pump
d) Raw Water Pump House=
7 lacks M³
5. WORKING OF POWER PLANT
7. BOILER PARAMETERS:•Height of boiler
•Height of chimeny
•Total Water Flow
•Coal Requirement for 250MW
•Primary Air for pulverized fuel
•Secondary Air for ignition (Combination) 647.0 T/Hr.
156 Kg /cm²
A Steam turbines (prime mover)
converts heat energy of steam
into mechanical energy and
drives the generator. When
steam is allowed to expand
through a narrow orifice, it
assumes kinetic energy at the
expenses of its enthalpy (heat
energy).This kinetic energy of
steam is changed to mechanical
energy through the impact
(impulse) or reaction of steam
against the blades.
10. TURBINE SPECIFICATION
HP turbine having 25 Blades &
IP turbine having 17 Blades &
LP turbine having 8 Blades&
Inlet/Outlet Pressure And Temperature
1. H P Turbine Steam Inlet/outlet pressure
-150 Kg/Cm²/39.69 Kg/Cm²
A inlet/outlet Temperature
2 . I P Turbine Steam Inlet pressure
- 35.64 Kg/Cm²
a. Outlet pressure
- 6.83 Kg/Cm²
3. LP Turbine Steam Inlet pressure
- 6.83 Kg/Cm²
The condenser does the job of condensing the steam exhausted from
Thus, it helps in maintaining low pressure at the exhaust there by
permitting expansion of steam in the turbine to a very low pressure.
This improves the plant efficiency.
The exhaust steam is condensed and used as feed water in the boiler.
Maintenance of high vacuum in the condenser is essential for efficient
Any leakage of air into the condenser destroys the vacuum and cause
1) increases in condenser pressure which limit the useful heat drop in
the prime movers.
2) A lowering of the partial pressure of the steam and of the saturation
temperature along with it. This means that the latent heat increases and
therefore, more cooling water is required. As it is not possible to
eliminate air leakage completely, a vacuum pump is necessary to
remove the air leaking into the condenser.
12. Condenser Used In S.S.T.P.S.
In S.S.T.P.S. surface condenser is used.
condenser consists of an airtight cylindrical shell having
a chamber at each end. Water tube extends between the
chambers. The shell is made of welded steel plate
construction and the tubes are made of copper zinc alloy.
Cooling water flow through the tubes. The steam is
admitted from the top and gets condensed due to contact
with the tube surface. The condensate leaves from the
bottom. For efficient operation, the temperature rise in the
cooling water passing through the condenser should be
around 10degree C.
13. COAL &ASH HANDLIG PLANT
1. COAL HANDLING PLANT (CHP)
The function of CHP is automatic
feeding of coal to the boiler furnace.
The coal is transported to the power
station by rail. One rail (rack) consists
of 58 or 59 boxes with 60 – 70 tones
coal loaded in each box. There are 6-7
racks of coal are used.
14. The main equipments of CHP are:
1. Wagon trippler: - A tripler is a equipment that is used for unloading the
coal from box by lifting and tilting the box.
2. Side arm charger: - It is used for pushing or carrying the loaded or empty
3. Conveyors: - Different sized and diff. Capacity conveyors are installed
for feeding the coal from Tripler to bunkers.
4. Crusher: - Crushers are provided for crushing the coal in desired sizes.
5. Primary crusher
6. Secondary crusher
7. Stacker cum re-claimer
8. Stacker/Reclaimer: - The stored coal is stacked or reclaimed by the
9. Bunkers: - Crushed coal is led to the mills via canonical shaped bunkers.
10. Coal feeders: - Coal feeder delivers the coal from the bunkers to the mill.
11. Pulverization of coal:- Pulverizing mills In modern TPS’s coal is
pulverized i.e. ground to dust likesize. Pulverization is a means of
exposing a large surface area to the action oxygen and consequently
helping the combustion. mill used for one unit in which one standby. Mill
is 4.7met in dia. &7.2 met in length.
15. Useful Heat Value Of Different Grade Of Coal
U.H.V = 8900-138[A+M]
Where A=% of ash
M =% Inherent moisture
16. 2. ASH HANDLING PLANT (AHP)
Coal contains a considerable amount of ash. The
percentage of ash in the coal varies from about 5% in good
quality coals to about 40% in poor quality coals.
Generally poor quality coal is used in steam power plant,
so the plant produces hundred tones of ash daily.
For removal of ash from the boilers and its disposal to the
suitable site is quite difficult.
 Ash handling comprises the following operation:
1. Removal of ash from the furnace ash hoppers.
2. Transfer of ash to a fill or storage
3. Disposal of stored ash.
17. In S.S.T.P.S. Hydraulic System Is Used For Ash
In this system stream of water carries
ash along with it in a Closed channel and disposes it of
to the proper site. This is the healthy clean dustless and
completely enclosed system.
In this system the hoppers below the
boilers are fitted with water nozzles both at the top and
on sides. The top nozzles quench the ash while the side
ones provides the driving force for the ash. The ash and
water then flow along a trough to a receiving hopper or
sump where the ash is separated from the water. The
water is used again while the ash is sent out through