Besides their work in the event industry, their team does work for large consumer companies in a lot of industries. This gives a breadth of experience that they bring to marketing events online.
Cassie does website, mobile and social networking.
Some of these are for your knowledge, and just to learn—some are things that you can help with at your fair!
Five years ago, most of us probably felt like we were spending a ton of time online. But internet usage has more than DOUBLED since then! The amount of time people spend overall on the Internet has increased 121% over the past five years.In 2010, for the first time ever, Internet usage surpassed television usage.Even if we’re not personally following this trend, our customers are, and they are the ones we most need to reach in order to grow.Are we following this trend?Do we think our customers are?
In the past, we all had a “guy.” Someone to keep our site updated.
Videos account for 50% of all online traffic as of January 2012
By 2014, more people will access your website via mobile devices than desktop computers. Based on the trajectory I’ve seen, I believe it!
So you know you need to be on Mobile, but what should you do- an app or a mobile site? And do you know the difference? App: Downloadable interface that installs Mobile site- DEFINITELY. You’ll reach MORE! That way you don’t have to guess which phone will “win!”The same technology you use to build mobile also works for tablets (no Flash)An app only reaches your most loyal followers while a mobile site reaches EVERYONEQR codes only go to mobile sites!
1. Share your Blog postsDoes your company blog? Why not take the time to share that wonderful content with your audience on Social Media? Sharing your blog posts with your Facebook and Twitter followers will not only help you engage with them, but it will also increase web traffic to your blog. If you increase this traffic you can then convert them into paying customers.2. QuestionsAsk a question on Twitter, LinkedIn, Quora or Facebook and then share the answers you get. Create thought provoking and engaging questions based upon your area of expertise or industry that will produce great responses. Then share those answers with everyone on your company’s page. You can generate great feedback and start interesting discussions.3. Highlight Customer Stories and TestimonialsLet your customers do the marketing for you! Share the stories and experiences that your customers have had with your company for all to see. This will show your company from different perspectives and show others what they can expect when doing business with you.4. Local ActivitiesA great way to get people involved with your business and the community is to let them know about the things that are happening locally. Keeping your fans engaged with what’s going on in the community will not only look good for you but when they tell others where they heard about the event, they will be reminded of your company and that they heard it from you first! A good way to do this is to run a contest and give away something relevant to your community.5. Fill in the BlankThis is a great way to get some conversations started. By creating fill in the blanks, you are setting yourself up for some interesting responses. These types of comments/ posts really get people to participate because when people see them they just can’t help themselves and feel the need to chime in with their two cents.6. Organize a contestCreate a Contest that is both engaging and simple, but make sure that the prize is enticing as well! Simplicity goes very far when it comes to online contests. The fact of the matter is that people want to enter to win something for free, but are more reluctant to do so when they have to give out their information in fear of being spammed and contacted for services or products that they don’t need or want. Therefore use contests to create more visibility for your company and attract more followers and fans rather than trying to sell them something!7. Top 10 ListsCreate top ten lists for different topics related to your industry. This is a great way to give your professional opinion on what you think is more important along with creating some discussion and engagement. Top ten lists usually draw a lot more attention because they are easier to read and people like to see how things rank in a list. This is why whenever you can create a list about a specific topic, you should. It’s also great for SEO (Search Engine Optimization)!8. How-to VideosShow a video on how to do something specific that’s related to your business or industry. By making a step-by-step video, you not only improve SEO, but you’re also helping your online credibility. Just make sure that you pick something that you are an expert in and make sure it is done right. No one likes watching a how to video and not being able to do what it is you set out to show him or her. Since video is very popular on the Internet, it makes sense to be one step ahead of the competition and take the time to film out exactly what you are trying to show them.9. Post Funny Photos or SayingsPeople love to laugh, so if you have something funny to say or something funny to show, then share it! Just make sure it’s appropriate for your audience and doesn’t pull in politics or religion. You don’t want to lose credibility for something you thought was funny but offended your audience.10. Customer ContentDon’t put the entire burden on your own shoulders all the time. Let your customers and clients do the work for you! Allow them to upload and share their content with their friends and followers. Make sure that you respond accordingly to any negative content that may arise! Encourage your audience and provide them a place where they can share their content, to get all around engagement! Just be sure that it doesn’t turn off topic or become spammy.Leave us a comment below and let us know what has worked for you! We’re always curious to learn about what strategies work for particular businesses! You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
1. ONLINEMARKETING FOR CASSIE ROBERTS DUMMIES
2. ABOUT US: HISTORY
3. SAFFIRE CLIENTS
4. SAFFIRE CLIENTS
5. SAFFIRE CLIENTS
6. ASSOCIATION PARTNERS
7. OUR AGENDABuzz Words: I’ve maybe heard of that, butwhat the heck IS it?Latest Trends in Online Marketing:Learn everything you need to know aboutonline trends even if you made the choice notto use computers for the past 15 years.Make it mobile: How can I make my onlineefforts reach people where they are?Take Charge: Well give YOU the knowledge& power to help market your event online!
8. Buzz words
9. You don’t need tomemorize this… …there will not be a quiz. Familiarize yourself with these terms—Use them in conversation! (wait for your kids to faint)
10. RESOURCE LOCATOR)Address designating thelocation of information onthe web; includes aregistered domain name.
11. URL VS. GOOGLEURL SEAR CH BOX SEAR CH BOX
12. RANGERS TICKETS
13. RANGERS TICKETS
14. ENGINE OPTIMIZATION)The process of making awebsite search engine-friendly to improve rankingin search results.
15. HOW DO YOU ACHIEVE SEO?• Google Keywords• Google Description• Page Title• Get other sites (sponsors, vendors, etc.) to link to yours
16. SEO MANAGEMENT
17. CACHEA storage of data so that futurethat reduces load time of pages• The Down Side: Can store out of date site info SAFFIRE RECOMMENDATION Use Shift+Control+Delete to clear your cache or clear your cookies.
18. LATEST TRENDS
19. POPULARITY CONTEST
20. WEBSITE• The MOST important thing you should know about your event website is that you HAVE to be able to manage your content in REAL TIME.
21. MANAGE YOUR SITE?
22. YOUR WEB GUY
23. ONLINE TICKET80/20 rule SALES • Approximately 80% of the tickets you sell online will be redeemed • Offer 20% discount • Come out evenFree shipping or print at home • ESPECIALLY when cheap to ship
24. TEXTING• Trends to a younger audience• A great way to get out a message to a bunch of people quickly
26. OTHER TRENDS Overwhelm ed?
27. DON’T WORRYFrom the marketer’s standpoint,it’s much more effective to havea solid presence in one or twochannels than it is to try todominate every platform.
28. FACEBOOKOver 1 BILLION monthly active usersOne in every seven humans on earth isan active Facebook userThe most important way to spend yoursocial networking energyFacebook trends to know• People use it on mobile• People use it for photosharing
29. TWITTERHow many of you have a Twitter account for your event? How many of you have a personal Twitter account? Don’t skip out on Twitter!
30. TWITTERYour 2nd priority for social media530 million accounts340 million tweets a day1 million accounts added toTwitter every day
31. WHY TWEET?Twitter is current on up-to-the minuteimportant news and culturalhappenings—Remember Blake Griffin!Ramp up your publishing frequency,and make timely content the focus ofyour Twitter activities in order tosatisfy information-hungry users.
32. WHAT IS THIS? #
33. THE ART OF THE HASHTAGPeople start including a hashtagwhen tweeting about a topic.It becomes easier to find thattopic in search.
34. PINTEREST Pinterest was the first site to get 10 million unique visitors in a month. Pin event photos (and more) and invite your customers to follow your boards! Not your highest priority, but do it! It’s fun!
37. YOUTUBE Customers exposed to videos are 437% more likely to engage in your brand. • Engagement = Purchases SAFFIRE RECOMMENDATIONMake your videos raw and not too produced to help customers identify with your brand.
38. YOUTUBE• 3rd in your social media priorities• 4 billion videos/day viewed• 800 million unique users visit YouTube each month• 44% of YouTube’s users are aged between 12 & 34
39. INSTAGRAM • Mainly for mobile • Known for image “doctoring” • Trends younger • Ease of use lowers barriers to content creation and helps fuel posts on other networks.
40. 1. CREATE AN ACCOUNT
41. 2. TAKE A PHOTO
42. 3. PICK A FILTER
43. 4. POST!
44. FUN FACTS ABOUT INSTAGRAM• Social media users plan to increase their use of Instagram at a rate higher than that of any other network.• Also, 85% of Instagrammers use the platform at work, way above any other social media format.
45. USE HASHTAGS ON INSTAGRAM TOO! SAFFIRE RECOMMENDATION Use the same hashtags that you use on twitter so people (and you) have less to remember.
46. MAKE IT MOBILE
47. THE RISE OF MOBILE Source: Morgan Stanley Research
48. …AND OF TABLET
50. If you don’t have a mobile site…
51. APP OR MOBILE SITE? 0% BlackBerr y 24% Android 46% Apple iPhone 30%
52. APP OR MOBILE SITE?
53. WHY MOBILE?Customers use mobile search toshop. • 95% of all mobile searches are for LOCAL products and services. • 61% of all local searches result in a purchase.
54. THE PERFECT STORM LOCAL Search +Mobile PURCHASE MOBILE
55. Take Charge!
56. BUILD YOUR NETWORKSSponsorsVendorsEntertainersVolunteersExhibitorsBoard members SAFFIRE RECOMMENDATION Follow people on a Tuesday morning; there may be better chance they’ll follow you back.
57. WHAT TO SEND OUT posts/emailWebsite changes/blogarticlesTestimonialsPhotos/VideosNews of weird/human intereststoriesContestsQuestions