MAFF2014 The Best 25 New Ideas for Online MarketingPresentation Transcript
25 NEW IDEAS
FOR ONLINE MARKETING
CASSIE ROBERTS|PARTNERSHIP DIRECTOR
South Texas State Fair
Rodeo Belton/ 4th of July
Brazos Valley Fair
Heart O' Texas Fair & Rodeo
Amarillo Tri-State Fair
Fort Bend County Fair
Central Texas State Fair
Comal County Fair
Okeechobee County Fair
Amador County Fair
Coors Cowboy Club
Washington County Fair
Texas State Forest Festival
Colorado State Fair
Napa County Fair
Dodge City Round Up
Brazoria County Fair
Rogers County Fair
Greater Baton Rouge State Fair
Black Hills Stock Show/Rodeo
Twas the Lights
Northwest Washington Fair
Delaware State Fair
Sangamon County Fair
Park of East Texas
Laramie County Fair
Carroll County Fair
Pony Express Days
Yolo County Fair
California Rodeo Salinas
Rio Grande Valley
Old Sorehead Trade Days
Fiesta San Antonio
Glenn County Fair
State Fair of Louisiana
Four States Fair
Montgomery County Fair
Agricultural Learning Center
Grant County Fair
North Texas State Fair
West End Fair
Trinity Valley Exposition
Brackenridge Recreation Complex
Kitsap Rodeo Cowpokes
Refugio County Fair
Rockdale Fair & Rodeo
SAFFIRE ASSOCIATION PARTNERS
NOTES ABOUT THE PROGRAM
• No need to write it all down– Leave me your
business card or a piece of paper with your
contact information and I’ll send you the slides.
• Feel free to Use your device!
• Ideas are not in order of importance.
INFO ON HOMEPAGE
Now more than ever, your homepage must be enticing.
• Users want to spend an average of 10 seconds on a
webpage. What would a user see in 10 seconds on
• Could they find what they needed and move on
within your site or would they leave?
CONSIDER BIG BRANDS
ADD A PHOTO UPLOAD TOOL
Use entertainment options to increase time on site.
• Allow your customers to upload their photos to
your website. Have a photo contest! (Then, you can
later use the photos for your marketing.)
ADD OTHER INTERACTIVITY
• You can also have:
Polls, Photo galleries, Video galleries, Twitter Feeds etc.
Your website has to be your main priority. It affects every
other portion of your online marketing & ecommerce
• GOAL: Drive traffic to your website.
ON SOCIAL: INCLUDE A PHOTO
A VERY IMPORTANT TIP
• EVERY social platform reports higher interaction
when a photo is included.
• Tweets with image links get 2x more interaction.
• The Engagement Rate on Facebook posts with
photos is .37%. Without a photo, it’s .27%.
PHOTO IN POST, NOT LINK
• Use the Upload Photos/Video function to publish
photo files directly into your post instead of
posting a link that shows a thumbnail.
LINK TO PHOTO
CAN EVEN EXPAND POST
ALSO INCLUDE VIDEO
• Include video on your website, on your social
media, wherever you can. Link to YouTube or
embed the video right in your page.
• Consider This: 100 MILLION videos are watched
every week on YouTube. Don’t you want to be a part
of the party?
Videos are shared
than links/text posts
HOT FAIR VIDEO
FACEBOOK GRAPH SEARCH
• Have you used this yet? Figure out what types of
people have friended you!
• Let’s try it out!
MAKE FOLLOWERS INSIDERS
• Make sure your Facebook & Twitter followers are
the first to know about entertainers, ticket sales
and other big event announcements.
AMAZON GOLD BOX
POST VENDOR DEALS
• Ask your vendors in advance if they want to
participate in a “2 for 1” or other discount deal,
and then post it to your social media, website or
• Remember to include a photo if you’re sharing on
WEST END FAIR
PARKING-GREAT FOR TEXTS
• If your event is notorious for bad parking, promote
your text list as a parking update mechanism.
• Easy to send out as your situation changes—put a
volunteer in charge.
• Might want to include a “Don’t Text & Drive!” every
so often for your civic duty.
CREATE INTERACTIVE CONTESTS
Facebook has changed its contest rules!
• Biggest change: You can now utilize likes and
comments as voting mechanisms.
• You still can’t make people tag themselves as part
of a contest.
BE A BIG DEAL
• Post information about weather, big local news stories,
incidents, accidents whatever you can think of on your
• Sometimes the things that people care about will SHOCK
• You can also post YOUR breaking news and ask local news
organizations to follow you.
COLORADO STATE FAIR
WHO USES INSTAGRAM?
• It seems crazy, but on Instagram, Fortune 500
companies recently reported getting 20% higher
interaction on photos with #nofilter than the next
highest filter option.
WHAT IT MEANS
DON’T FAKE IT!
• It stands for: IF THIS THEN THAT.
• You create “recipes” to make something
automatically happen within your social media.
• For Saffire, we use: IF we post to our Instagram,
automatically post it on our Facebook.
• Search IFTTT in your App store or go to
PROMOTE YOUR SPONSORS
• Use your social media as a way to interact with
your sponsors—especially big ones!
• You can post about their deals, and they may
return the favor during your event.
• They will retweet and favorite you.
USE THE 80-20 Rule
Make 80% of your posts fun and 20% promotional.
POST FROM MASCOT
SHARED 522% MORE
• Put up screens that show your live twitter feed,
with #YourEventName to get your tweet on the big
• Post photos of your fairgrounds in the winter,
covered in snow…or rain as the case may be!
• Say something creative like, “We’re in hibernation!
What do you miss most about the fair?”
MORE OFF SEASON
• Everyone loves a random holiday. Look them up in
advance, and post about them. You can even
schedule it in advance through Facebook now!
“Happy Grandparents Day! If
you have a special memory with
your grandparent or grandkid at the
fair, please share!
“Playing washer pull or draw a number. It
was something my family could afford & it
benefited a great group. We'd win a small
plant or something & just could not walk
away. We would just keep playing.”
Make sure you
acting as your
• No need to use all 140 Characters! (That would be
• Tweets under 100 characters get 17% higher
engagement than longer tweets.
• This is partially because they can be retweeted.
QUALITY NOT QUANTITY
Most effective tweets ask for:
1. A Download:
Increase clicks by 11%
QUALITY NOT QUANTITY
2. A Retweet:
Increase retweet by 311%
QUALITY NOT QUANTITY
3. A Follow:
Increase follows by an average of 85%
WHEN TO TWEET
• 24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a week. Interaction levels
don’t point out a clear “winner” for when you
• You may find something different for your own
event by looking at your analytics—if so then
follow that trend.
• You can now view analytics from your twitter
• Go to http://analytics.twitter.com/
• It’s going to say “Advertise on Twitter” (Since
you’re smart, you will know it’s more than that
• Add boards of things to do in your city, links to
your vendors pages, places to stay
• Craft projects, ‘how to’ cooking boards, etc.
COOL PINTEREST IDEAS
JOIN THE (EMAIL) CLUB
• EVERYBODY loves to be a part of a club.
• Make your email list or text list a “club” sign up or
encourage people to pay to join with perks.
• Can do kids & adults!
MOBILE IS A MUST
• According to Forbes:
“87% of connected devices sales by 2017 will be
tablets and smartphones.”
ARE YOU READY?
ALMOST LIKE AN APP
EXAMPLE MOBILE STATS
40% Mobile Visits
43% Mobile Pageviews
54% Mobile Visits
40% Mobile Pageviews
47% Mobile Visits
44% Mobile Pageviews
ONLY WRONG TO BE SILENT
• The internet is fast moving; people are quick to
forget. Today’s story is yesterday’s history.
• ALWAYS RESPOND to comments, even negative. The
worst thing you can do is not be a part of the