ACTIVITIES ANDMATERIALS TO ENCOURAGEAESTHETIC DEVELOPMENTTHROUGH SONGS ANDPOETRYBy: Siti Dhaniyah Muhamad FadzilSabariah Kese
Aesthetic Development?• An appreciation and feeling of wonder forthings relating to beauty.• Exploring imaginations and senses.
Objectives• Children integrate the arts.• Children’s natural influence, study of objectsand resources are related with their aestheticappreciation.
How to encourage aestheticdevelopment?• Create activities that promote opportunitiesto freely express children’s attitudes, feelingsand ideas on art.• Create activities that are free fromjudgement and competition.• Conduct activities that stimulate awarenessand interest.
Selecting and creating activities andmaterialsConsiderations:• Can the children experience the activity thatis more than one sense?• Can they interact with the activity?• Are they interested with the activity?• Is the activity organized well?
While selecting and creating:• Use materials that the children canexplore/experiment with their sense• Use materials that the children canmanipulate and can be used in different ways
1. “EXPRESS YOURSELF!”1) The teacher will makes several commonface. E.g: Starts with angry, followed bysad, then end with smile.2) This aims to catch the attention of thepupils, thus gain their interest to proceedwith the learning process.3) Then, ask the pupils if they have any ideaabout what you did before.
4) Starts to explain about facial expression andhow it differs from one to another and whatis the purpose.5) Use several pictures that show facialexpression.6) Ask your pupils to make some facialexpression that they love.
7) Divide your pupils into several groups(number of groups and members of eachgroup depend on the number of pupils ofthat class.)8)Then, each of them in that group mustcombine one adjective word with their facialexpression.E.g: Beautiful (smile face *without saying it).Scary (angry face *without saying it)9) Combine it to make a poem. One poem foreach group. Present it to the class.
How it suits the aestheticdevelopment?• Aesthetic is appreciation of beauty.• By conducting this type of activity, pupils willlearn:a) How to express themselves more vividly.b) Learn to combine words and turn them intopiece of art. E.g: poem.c) Their interaction among each other increasesince they work as a group and cooperationis needed.
• Learning about ourselves is a beauty itself.• It will help them to appreciate themselvesmore as they know themselves more.
2. “BEAUTY OF NATURE”1. Teacher will ask pupils, “what they knowabout nature?”2. Teacher then explain the correct meaning ofit to the pupils and also the examples fortheir better understanding.3. Divide pupils into pair and distribute thepicture cards. E.g: tree, flower, cat, dog etc.4. Each pair has to create a simple poem basedon the picture of that card.
E.g: I have cat,Its colour is brown,Love to sits under my hatIts name is Clown.She is bright like a sunshine,Beautiful like a flower,Cheerful like a birdies sing a happy song,
How it suits the aestheticdevelopment?• Pupils are given the freedom of expressingthemselves through a simple free versepoem.• It will give them an experience in creatingtheir own poem.• Help them in making connections betweenthe beauty of the nature and express it intopoem.• Be flexible and let them choose how theywant their poem to be.