Content of a CV
Create a Winning CV
• Personnel Details
• Statement of Career Aims (optional)
Careers Service • Education & Qualifications (most recent first)
St. Patrick's College • Employment History (action & results)
• Achievements/Positions of Responsibility
• Interests/Other activities
CV Formats General Guidelines
• Chronological – Short (1-2 pages)
– Organised-information easily extracted
• Skills based – Focused-only what is relevant to current position
- functional – Highlight aspects of your experience-supportive of
- targeted your application
– No irrelevancies-sex, marital status
• A Compromise
– Presentation-unbound, quality (white/off white)paper,
printed and proof-read
Use Positive Language
Active verbs & Accomplishments
Active Verbs + Excellent communication skills
planned, completed, designed, selected, arranged, – adequate communication skills
developed, managed, prepared, organised, facilitated.
Accomplishments + managed
– Organised publicised & conducted…………. – coped
– Designed & ran………….
– description of results: + succeeded
• Increased use of …………… – tried
Create a Winning CV 1
Presentation Guidelines CV Content
• Use year (2002-2005) not day/month Personal Details
• Do not abbreviate (‘02) • Not necessary to write Curriculum Vitae at top.
• Use Bold or Italics to highlight: Degree, Job Titles • Name (in large font)
• Use bullet points • Contact details: Term & Home Address/telephone
• Avoid use of personal pronoun ‘I’ • Mobile Phone-have a professional message on phone
• Restrict CV to 2 pages
• Type name in bold and size 12/13 font
• Remainder in 10-11 font
• Use white bonded A4 paper
CV Content CV Content
• Start with most recent
• Start with most recent (eg)
• Summer 2004 (omit exact dates-17 June-23 August)
• 2005-present Postgraduate Diploma in Education • Include job title and employer’s name and city ( not necessary to
• 2002-present B.Education/BA in Humanities include full address). e.g.
• St Patrick’s College, Dublin • 2003 -present Outreach Art Teacher National Gallery of Ireland
• List Degree subjects/electives + e.g.Music (first year) • List duties/responsibilities
• Thesis Title (if relevant) • Conducted research in N.Gallery on selected paintings, prepared
and facilitated short discussions & follow-up workshops relevant
• Overall Grade (if known or results pending) to the theme of the paintings in Dublin primary schools on behalf
• Leaving Certificate (not essential to list subjects unless of the N.Gallery.
CV Content CV Content
Skills profile Interests/Achievements
• present skills under appropriate headings Group interests into:
• Computing • Sporting
• Word Processing (Word 2000/97) • Cultural
• Spreadsheets (Excel ‘98)
List activities currently involved in & with level of interest
• German: Written-professional level
Oral- fluent e.g. Captain of Meath Soccer Team
• Teamworking indicate how this developed Member of National Youth Orchestra
• Communication ditto Mention any awards.
Create a Winning CV 2
CV Contents Sample CV
2007 Postgraduate Diploma in Education
• Two Referees (academic and previous employer) (primary)-St Patrick’s College, Dublin. H2:1
• Seek permission from referees Course Description
• Be Selective (relevant to job being targeted) Education 111: Teaching Practice and preparation for
• State Title: Principal/ Head of Department teaching. Classroom assessment, philosophy and sociology of
education, Children with Special needs, Mathematics
• Include contact details: address, Phone, email education, Teagasc na Gaeilge, Teaching Studies, SPHE,
Digital Learning. Teaching Practice and Preparation for
Elective subject: Drama.
Sample CV Sample CV
Education 11: Art & Drama in Education, Music, PE, History of • Teaching practice 1:
Education, Digital Learning, Psychology of Education, • Divine Word N.S., Rathfarnham, Dublin.
Sociology of Education, Crriculum Religion, Teaching Studies, • Teaching Practice 2:
Curriculum English, Teaching of Reading, Mathematics,
Teagasc na Gaeilge, Curriculum Geography, History & Science, • St. Ita’s N.S., Ballymun, Dublin
Teaching practice and preparation for teaching. Teaching Practice 3:
St Mary’s N.S., Tallaght, Dublin.
Education 1: Intellectual Development, Teaching Studies, The
Teaching Profession, Religious Education, Early Childhood
Education, Reading, Teagasc na Gaeilge, PE, Drama & Art
Education, Music Education, Preparation for Teaching Practice,
Sample CV Sample CV
• 1995-1998 BA (1998) 2.2 honours-University College Cork. • Voluntary Work
• Subjects: Mathematics and French, Geography (first year) • 2006 Tutor, Ballymun Comprehensive, Dublin.
• 1995 Leaving Certificate St Angela’s College, Cork Provided one to one tuition in Mathematics to Leaving
Certificate students. Gained experience of working with
• English (B1) Irish etc disadvantaged pupils.
• Skills Profile Communication: Can speak and write clearly, excellent
• Employment History presentation skills.
• Organisational: Organised graduate recruitment
programme, successfully produced shows and organised
• 2004-2005 Substitute Teacher, St Raphael’s School, Dublin 9. classes for different levels of ability.
Taught third class. Teamworking: Developed through work & leisure
• 1999-2004 HR Assistant, Bank of Ireland, Dublin. activities.
Responsible for graduate recruitment and induction. Computers: Microsoft Word 8.0, Excel 7.0, SPSS.
Languages: Fluent French. RELSA Certificate in TEFL.
Create a Winning CV 3
Sample CV Cover Letter
• Interests & Achievements
Tennis- member of Carlow Tennis Club.
Theatre-Member of Sutton Players, directed and acted in • Paper A4 white, off white
Film-particularly international films giving insight into
• One page
Structure • Education 1: Intellectual Development,
Teaching Studies, The Teaching
• Four parts: Profession, Religious Education, Early
• Opening- state position applying for and Childhood Education, Reading, Teagasc
where advertised & introduce yourself na Gaeilge, PE, Drama & Art
• Why Them target the letter to them Education, Music Education,
Preparation for Teaching
Practice, Teaching skills
• Why You indicate how you satisfy their
• Ending CV enclosed, availability for
interview, you look forward to hearing
from them, signature.
Create a Winning CV 4