ALSO: no unnecessary information; includes storyteller’s feelings and emotions-CDS emphasizes ‘personal voice’ and ‘encouraging thoughtful and emotionally direct writing’ – creating magic, surprise and inspire workshop participants
why did I choose this as my project focus? –Digital literacy/technology; sharing who we really are – sharing what’s important to us, a part of our identity (+ CLB ‘can do’ for CLB 3: presenting information/write a short text about personal or familiar topic)
1. TESOL and Technology:‘e-(sl) learning in a new age’KaplanPLI2013–Session2Sara Yuensyuen@vcc.caPlease open the workshopblog page:sarayuentesol.blogspot.ca andclick on the‘Kaplan PLI June 2013’ tab.
2. Recap of Session 1:Google docs, formsBlogsVocarooSoundcloudWordleTagxedoWallwisher.comGlogsterEdububbl.usdigital literacy: “the abilityto effectively and criticallynavigate, evaluate andcreate information using arange of digitaltechnologies. It requires one"to recognize and use thatpower, to manipulate andtransform digital media, todistribute pervasively, and toeasily adapt them to newforms.” (Wikipedia, n.d.)
3. Today:More Web 2.0 Tools – project-based learning & digitalstorytellingDigital CitizenshipDeveloping your PLNBest PracticesWeb 2.0: sites that arenot static; “allow usersto interact andcollaborate with eachother…as creators ofuser-generated contentin a virtual community”(Wikipedia, n.d.)
4. What is DigitalStorytelling? “the practice of usingcomputer-based tools totell stories” (University ofHouston) text, images, recordednarration, music, videoclips personal stories that wewant to share using our ownvoice, thoughtful &expressive story creation
5. Digital Stories… are short (2 to 4 minutes long) are interesting & meaningful to the storyteller are clearly narrated have interesting pictures that match the story are „from the heart‟
6. Why?Project-based language learningWriting: brainstorming, outlining, draftingExpressivist writing: finding YOUR (English) voiceSpeaking, Listening, Pronunciation, VocabularyEditing: peer/self/instructorPurposeful language use, with an audience inmindDigital literacyIdentity, self-expressionSharing, collaborating, learning
8. Steps to Making a Digital Story1) Think about ideas:„What‟s my story?‟2) Choose a storyidea & focus3) Write a first draft4) Edit and rewritestory5) Make a storyboard(an example onpaper)6) Find(take, collect, draw)pictures to go withthestory, digitize/upload7) Record your story8) Make digital storyon a computer:photos + recordedstory9) Save or post digitalstoryScreening Party!concept written storydigital story
9. OtheralternativestousingiMovieorMovieMaker:Voicethread.comMyBrainshark.com…..?Task: Try your hand at workshop task(using MyBrainshark.com on the TESLCanada presentation blog:
10. Digital CitizenshipWhat is it?The norms ofappropriate, responsiblebehavior with regard totechnology use (Ribble, 2011).
11. access commerce communicationliteracy etiquette lawrights andresponsibilitieshealth andwellnesssecurityThe 9 elements of Digital Citizenship(Ribble, 2011)
12. Digital Citizenship (cont‟d)Think before you post!http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/17/us-teacher-blog-odd-idUSTRE71G4WQ20110217
13. Digital Citizenship (cont‟d)Think before you posthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbpKawqA6VQDigital tattoo - What‟s yours?http://digitaltattoo.ubc.ca/www.digizen.orgChecklist/Questions to consider:Does your school have a policy about Internet andtechnology use?
14. Developing your PersonalLearning Network"A personal learning network is an informallearning network that consists of the peoplea learner interacts with and derivesknowledge from in a personal learningenvironment. In a PLN, a person makes aconnection with another person with thespecific intent that some type of learning willoccur because of that connection."(Wikipedia, n.d.)
15. Don‟t Knock „Em…
16. Best Practices for TESOL &Technology:
17. Let‟s go back to ourgoals/questions from thequestionnaire:
18. Parting words:It‟s not really about “what wecan do online, but whyand how we are going todo it. Content alone willnot transform our teachingapproach. We need tothink about how studentscan best interact with thecontent, the medium, andeach other, in a quest forconnectivity andmeaning” (Felix, 2002, p. 3)The future is here. It‟s just notevenly distributed.-William Gibson