1. TRANSMEDIASTORYTELLING INTHE LONDONOLYMPICSPP1 - RESEARCH PRESENTATION XIAODI LIU (FIONA) – s3267266 NIKITA MELWANI – s3314783
2. Investigate how transmedia storytelling is used not just on a media scale, but how it is used for different sectors and industries for a majorworld event with focus on the London Olympics 2012
3. THE LONDON OLYMPICS 2012- One of the biggest Global sporting and cultural events in the World.- 4 billion estimated global audience for the opening ceremony on 27thJuly 2012.- Held in London, U.K. from 27th July to 12th August.- 10,500 athletes representing 205 nations, competing in 302 events.- Approx. 52 million people - 90% of the UK population watched theOlympics for at least 15 minutes. The London Olympics is considered the first real social media games, with millions of people – including many of the athletes themselves – commenting on Twitter
4. HOW IS THE OLYMPICS ATRANSMEDIA EXAMPLE?- Hundreds of platforms ranging fromdifferent tools were used in both„online‟ and „offline‟ methods.- These platforms interweaved with oneanother to create awareness, unity andexcitement for the Olympics.- Sponsors and Brands such as CocaCola, Visa, Samsung & McDonaldswere given the chance to be part of theaudience conversation, instead ofsolely being an advertising tool.- In particular, interaction was sharedbetween athletes and audience makingthe „star athlete‟ a „global superstar‟ asfans connected with athletes via socialmedia.
5. WHATTRANSMEDIAELEMENTS WEREUSED FOR THEOLYMPICS ANDHOW?
6. 1. PLATFORMS- A massive range of platforms wereused to promote, sponsor and sharethe journey of the Olympics frombeginning to end.- Platforms ranged from socialnetworking & mediawebsites, collaborationtools, multimedia sharing tobroadcasting!- The joint use of these platforms wasused for the first time since the historyof the Olympics.- The effect of this made sponsors thelink between consumer and product.
9. KEY THEORIST #1 – CARLOSALBERTO SCOLARI“TS (Transmedia Storytelling) not onlyaffects the text but also includestransformations in the production andconsumption processes. Researchersand producers visualize new businessopportunities for the media market asnew generations of consumers developthe skills to deal with the flow of storiesand become hunters of informationfrom multiple sources.”(Scolari, C.A. 2009, pp, 589)
10. 3. AUDIENCE INTERACTION- Audience interaction came into full force with theLondon Olympics.- For example, fans were given the option torecord a cheer for their favorite athlete onFacebook.- This gave fans the opportunity to engage at apersonal level with athletes, as well as creating abigger social network for the fan base.- The mixture of different levels of interactionbetween audiences can be categorized into threepersonas; hardcore, casual and the observer.- Audience interaction was highly successful dueto the range & consumption communicated fromthe vast range of platforms.
11. 4. ‘ONLINE’ AND ‘OFFLINE’ COLLABORATION- „Online‟ and „Offline‟ collaboration methods workedhand in hand and contributed significantly to audienceinteraction.- In particular, in terms of a „Offline‟ method, Coca Colabuilt a Beatbox Pavillion in the Olympic Village wherepark visitors came and “played” the building like amusical instrument once the Olympics began.- The „Offline‟ collaboration never stops – even untilnow!- On February 27th 2012, it was announced that anOlympian Museum will be opened at the park in 2014for all types of audiences – whether it be the fans, thepeople of London or tourists!- This gives audiences the chance to visit and re-experience the London Olympics 2012 through aphysical event.- This links and feeds to Coca Cola‟s „Move to the Beat‟campaign that was advertised worldwide.
12. KEY THEORIST #2 – HENRYJENKINS“Storytellers exploit thispotential for TransmediaStorytelling; advertisers talkabout branding as dependingon multiple touch points;networks seek to exploit theirintellectual properties acrossmany different channels.”(Jenkins, 2006, pp. 46).
13. WHAT WE FOUND INTERESTINGOVERALL- How transmedia storytelling is not just utilized inmedia but rather, how it can be employed in every field& industry.- How „universal‟ it was in terms of catering to alldemographics.- How successful the transmedia elements contributedto high engagement of audiences worldwide.
14. CONCLUSION- This case study has been a demonstration of how transmediastorytelling has developed within recent years.- Reinforces that fact that transmedia is going to play a prominentrole in the future.- Redefined the future of broadcasting, social media, accessibilityand the use of platforms to audiences worldwide.- To conclude, this was a very unique way of transmediastorytelling that we think should inspire future projects to come.
15. REFERENCES• Katie Kuhn, 2012, Transmedia: The 2012 Approach to Sponsoring the Olympics, iMEDIA CONNECTION, viewed April 1, 2013, <http://blogs.imediaconnection.com/blog/2012/07/30/transmedia-the-2012-approach-to-sponsoring-the-olympics/>• Jenkins, H, 2006, Convergence Culture, NYU Press, pp. 46• Scolari, C.A, 2009, Transmedia Storytelling: Implicit Consumers, Narrative Worlds, and Branding in Contemporary Media Production, International Journal of Communication, viewed April 4, 2013, < http://ncadjarmstrong.com/year-3-postmodern- moving/transmedia_storytelling-.pdf>• The Olympic Partner (Top) Programme, viewed April 6, 2013,<http://www.olympic.org/sponsors>• IOC Marketing: Media Guide, viewed 7 April, 2013, <http://www.olympic.org/Documents/IOC_Marketing/London_2012/IOC_Marketing_Media_Guide_2012.pdf>• Douglas, T, 2012, London Olympics Give Boost to Media, viewed 7 April, 2013, <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts- 19253278>• Youtube, Move to the Beat of London 2012 Commercial, viewed 7 April, 2013, < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bgVbBvp4X8>• Transmedia: The 2012 Approach to Olympic Sponsorship, viewed 8 April, 2013, < http://transmedia.ca/2012/07/transmedia-the- london-2012-approach-to-sponsorship/>• Brian, C, 2012, A transmedia Olympic Games, viewed 8 April, 2013, <http://www.warc.com/Blogs/BlogTitle.blog?id=1576>• ABC Grandstand Sport, ABC Local Radio Olympic Games Broadcast Schedule, viewed 8 April, 2013, <http://www.abc.net.au/news/sport/olympics/broadcast-schedule/>• Olympian Facebook – The Social Media Hub for London 2012, viewed 8 April, 2013, < http://www.lucidity.ie/blog/141-olympian- facebook-the-social-media-hub-for-london-2012>• Youtube, Visa Olympics London 2012: Michael Phelps Team Visa Athlete Countless Medals Commercial, viewed 8 April, 2013, < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9m5SOfxPxk>