Introduction - What we
are looking to achieve
•The final outcome which is hoped to have been
achieved at the end of this presentation is to have
discovered WHO the target audience is for our
•We hope that from this we would have gained an
understanding of how to address that audience
through the structure of our video in terms of; its
storyline, subject matter, mise en
scene,camerawork and editing.
Kanye West - His Profile
- Kanye West is nothing short of a world wide superstar. He has heavily collaborated with Jay
Z and many other international stars and its therefore no surprise that he sells out top venues
from around the world.
- Since first coming on to the music industry in 2001, Kanye’s lyrics have always represented
struggle in the modern world but although the lyrics have the same meanings the genre of his
music over the last couple of years has slightly differentiated with more attention on rap.
- His very unique style in life is shown through his music videos as well as his music as his
videos try to incorporate a conceptual yet exciting element to them.
• Gender - From the research gathered from
musicmetric.com you can see there is a
fairly even split between the male and
female target audience, with a 57% male
audience and 43% female audience. This
slightly higher male audience could be due
to the overt swearing in the rapping and
lyrics which includes violent connotations,
which might not appeal quite as much to a
• Age - The 18-24 category dominates the
age distribution of his audience (35%), but
also 19% of his audience are 25-35 year
olds. This is to be expected and I believe
it’s linked to the genre of music (rap/hip
hop). With this genres the themes in the
lyrics, beat of the music, and image of the
artist all connect to a younger audience.
• Ethnicity - He is an American star so it
follows that a lot of his fans would be
Western. However the worldwide
distribution of fans (including East and
West) would suggest that the ethnicity he
appeals to is very diverse. Therefore no
ethnicity can be prioritised.
• Class - There is nothing to dispute that
most class categories would listen to his
music as his audience is so worldwide.
However, from his lyrics we can take an
educated guess that he would be more
popular with the classes E-B. Therefore
we can assume that people from Class A
might not make up a huge part of his fan
• THE EXPLORER - Young in nature, if not in reality. They are driven by the need for
discovery, often trying new things out first.
• THE ASPIRER - Driven by others’ perceptions of them. They make choices based on what
is popular at the time and whether other people will like it. Their core need in life is for
• THE SUCCEEDER - Tend to be very organised and self confident. They need control and
when it comes to brands they seek the best.
• THE REFORMER - They value their own independent judgement and are often perceived
as intellectual. They also crave enlightenment.
• THE MAINSTREAM - Daily routine is fundamental to their everyday life and as their
name implies they belong to the largest group across the world. They look for security in life.
• THE STRUGGLER - They live for today rather than tomorrow. They are heavy consumers
of alcohol and junk food and are likely to only become successful in life due to a lottery win.
Escape is what they look for.
• THE RESIGNED - Predominately older people who like familiarity above all else. This
determines many choices they make in life and their main aim is simple: to survive.
Based on these
definitions, we believe
that the psychographic
profile of his audience
would be of three
and Struggler. His
music, as already
mentioned, is seen as
very popular and cool.
element is also included
in his music which
would make it appeal to
people who aren’t doing
so well in life. We also
know from our
demographics slide that
younger people listen to
his music which also
justifies these choices.
• In order to learn more about the genre of the music we are going to make a video of,
we conducted a survey of 20 people.
• The questions we asked our shown in the box below (left). The reasons why we
asked these question are also shown below (right).
1. What is your preferred category of
music video - narrative, performance
2. What media do you consume?
3. Where do you go to listen to your
4. What other genre’s of music do you
5. Whats the most memorable music
video you have watched?
1. We will be able to gather an idea on what the
best category is for fans of Hip Hop.
2. By knowing the answer to this, we will know
what modern technology they are used to and
how to potentially advertise the video in the
3. This could give us extra ideas of where to
shoot some of the video.
4. After obtaining answers from this question,
we could look at music videos of these genres
and see if there are any elements we could
include from them into our video.
5. If there is a popular answer to this question
we will be able to see what makes a music video
Survey - The Results
The general consensus from
question 2 was that in this modern
age almost all media is consumed.
However, social networking sites
tended to be a very popular answer
when asked to be more specific.
- Concerts at venues such as The
O2 Arena, Wembley and Brixton
- Festivals are also common place
for these fans to listen to their
5. Various answers came back for
this question, but one video that
came up a few times was ‘What
I’ve Done’ by Linkin Park. This
video is on the following link http://www.youtube.com/watch?
- This mood board represents everything that would interest a typical member of our audience.
Attracting The Audience
• We will create a Digi Pack which shall look very current and we will do this
by keeping to a sophisticated colour scheme and things will be basic.
• The storyline that we are looking to create shall directly inspire a ‘struggler’
as it shall show of how someone from the bottom of society gradually makes
something of himself.
• As there is a slightly higher proportion of male fans to female fans, we shall
try to incorporate things that would interest men such as: cars, male clothing,
sporting items etc.
Addressing The Audience
• After watching various music videos of Kanye West we have learnt that there is a
very strong conceptual element to all of his videos. We intend to follow this trend.We
believe that this would be enjoyed by his audience and because of this we will also
include this element. The editing shall play a large part in creating this.
• The mise en scene of our video shall incorporate modern things, from clothes, to
phones, to buildings. This shall address our youthful audience as they are used to
being in a world surrounded by modern media/equipment.
• We also hope to do some filming in the heart of London, as the idea of a city will
excite a younger audience as a city represents innovation and opportunity.