1. Social Media Monthly #4
Professional Dev, SM Discussions and Pizza
• Accounts Guidelines/Criteria
• Workshop Ideas
• What do you want out of SM Monthly?
• Name for Group
• SM Mgmt Tools
• “Students and Social Media”
• Discussion Topic: Should social media be taught as a
3. Accounts Criteria
• Social Stream
• Work in progress
• Following branding guidelines, formats, etc.
4. Workshop Ideas
• What are you having trouble with?
• Hootsuite 101
• FB Insights/Measuring
• Content channeling
• Fitting content in less than 140 characters
• Instagram, Tumblr, .gifs
5. What would you like from us?
• Tutorials, instructional talks?
• Professional development
• Open discussions?
• Guest speakers?
• Case studies
6. Possible group name?
• Social Media Managers
• FIU Social Media
• Socializers (wut?)
• Social Media Communicators
• Community Managers
• Social Media Pizza Eaters
7. SM Management Tools
• Simply Measured
• We’re thinking of making a switch…
• What do you use?
8. “Students and Social Media”
• Talk by Mallory Wood, mStoner
9. “Social Content”; Audit
• Does your content…
• Reach you audience
• Deliver timely info
• Provide customer service
• Build community
• Foster loyalty
• Encourage advocacy
10. Editorial Calendar
• Accurately target audiences
• Visually map interests
• Organize a vast array of content
• Evaluate success
• Should social media be taught as a degree?
• University of Florida offers an online grad degree: Mass
Communication, Social Media
• 27k tuition
• Social can be taught easily
• Communication, however, is a skill
• Degree worth it?
• “A lot of people have social media accounts, but not a lot
of people understand how to gain followers, when to post
to get the most hits, or how to write short copy to engage
people reading a gigantic newsfeed. In addition, we are
really learning about social media from the angle of
marketing, branding, and return on investments. A huge
component of life on social is being able to measure the
engagement and growth, and this program teaches you
how to grow your brand through social media and make it
part of an integrated marketing strategy.”