The impact would 100,000 times more powerful than the nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima
broke the record for the highest level on the Torino Scale,
diameter is approximately 390 meters (1280 ft).
What is Apophis 99942?
f irst discovered by..
- Roy A. Tucker, David J. Tholen and Fabrizio Bernardi and the Kitt Peak National Observatory on
-received the provisional designation “2004 MN4”
On June 24,2005..
- received the permanent number 99942
Actual photo of Apophis 99946
Predicted date: April 13 2036
There are ways to change the track of the asteroid:
Bump it: a 1-ton Kinetic energy impact
Thrust it: a ION-Drive rocket engine builds thrust over few weeks on the asteroid
Tug it: Gravity Tractor
Nuke it: Nuclear Explosion just above the surface
Kinetic Energy impact
- A device that will deflect objects like asteroids and comets by hitting them with a high-speed spacecraft.. As the material blows away from the object, preventing an impact. Kinetic energy equals the speed of impact squared times mass.
- The ion propulsion system will provide the spacecraft with the thrust that it will require to reach its target asteroids. Ion propulsion was proved on NASA's Deep Space 1 mission, which tested it and 11 other technologies while journeying to an asteroid and a comet.
- A gravity tractor (GT) is a spacecraft that deflects another object in space, using only its gravitational field to transmit the required impulse.
- Nuclear explosion plan is the gravity tractor attaching to an asteroid and firing the craft's engines to push the space rock away using the nuclear missile.
More Ways to stop this collision
- the solar energy from the sun can actually apply pressure on an object.
Robert Munch on it.
- Rocketing packs of ravenous robots out to an asteroid.