Richard W. Yarger
Placentia, CA 92870
Highly motivated Operations SQL DBA using T-SQL with experience in SQL Enterprise
Manager from SQL Server 2000, and Server Management Studio from SQL Server 2005,
2008, and 2008 R2. Network support background with Novell and Microsoft Network
Operating Systems in various environments. Demonstrated leadership abilities as well as
the ability to accomplish tasks under minimal direction and supervision.
Former Novell NetWare CNE / CNI
Database Management Systems:
SQL Server 2000/2005/2008/2008 R2
SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS)
Red Gate DBA Tools
SQL Server Management Studio
Microsoft Visual Studio / BIDS
Red Gate SQL Backup
Red Gate Monitor
SQL Server DBA Best Buy Secondary Markets 9/2012 – Present
• Lead DBA supporting 20 physical servers housing SQL 2005, SQL 2008, and SQL
2008 R2 instances.
• Resolved a major database design issue - June 2013 – in a Production 2008 instance
that resulted in securing the largest trade-in revenue period in the company's
• T-SQL Code review, query optimization, and query analysis via SSMS tools (SQL
Profiler, Database Engine Tuning Advisor).
• Code deployments gatekeeper for multiple SQL instance deployments.
• Contracted in through Beacon Hill Staffing Group.
SQL Server DBA (Contractor) Spireon 4/2012 – Present
• Lead DBA for new OLTP database design (logical, and conceptual to physical
• Object development for all SQL Server objects, and T-SQL Queries.
• Query optimization using various techniques built into SSMS (Enterprise Edition
• Solid best practices for disaster recovery, backup and restore scenarios, along with
DBCC data integrity checks, statistics updating, and reorganization or rebuilding of
• Hardware spec design for physical implementations of RAID systems (internal arrays
and external SAN design).
• Improved performance for existing production systems with new file system designs
utilizing Filegroups and table partitioning for tables with 300+ million rows of data.
• Responsible for 5 production SQL Servers, and 30+ OLTP databases ranging in size
from 100mb to 500gb in 24/7 shop.
• Contracted in through Robert Halt Technology of Irvine, CA.
Database Consultant Digineer 3/2011 – 9/2011
• Created new data model design to replace SQL 2000 OLTP systems to SQL 2008 R2
using both Visio and SSMS for modeling and reverse engineering
• Created upgrade processes for bringing SQL 2000 DBMS objects into SQL 2008 R2
• Created Metadata documentation for newly designed OLTP system
• T-SQL Queries for Stored Procedures, Triggers and Views.
• Best practices for performance tuning of queries and indexing
• Hardware spec design for physical implementation.
• Performance Monitoring through SSMS and PAL (Performance Analysis of Logs)
• Monitored multiple client databases for effectiveness of queries, SQL Agent jobs,
database engine performance monitoring via 3rd party tools (PAL), and
troubleshooting failed procedures via job logs.
• Performed multiple edition and version upgrades for SQL 2000, 2005, and
2008/2008 R2 both using the full GUI and unattended installation files.
• Created documentation of database tables and attributes for SQL 2005 and SQL
• Modified existing SSIS ETL packages for code reuse.
SQL Server DBA (Contractor) Control Assemblies 12/2010 – 3/2011
• Contracted in through Xigent Solutions of Plymouth, MN.
• Lead DBA for new database design (logic and concept to physical implementation).
• T-SQL Queries for Stored Procedures and Triggers.
• Solid best practices for Backup and Restore scenarios along with DBCC checks in
• Best practices for query optimization with development staff for C# Code Containers
• Performance tuning for queries, indexing, and best practices (SQL 2005/2008)
• Hardware spec design for physical implementation.
• Data Model design from logical to physical implementation (SQL 2005 OLTP system)
• Worked with various department liaisons to determine metadata needs for OLTP
• Responsible for 2 major database systems with total user access of over 2,000 web
Systems Analyst RI Transcription Solutions 5/2009 – 8/2009
• Provided support for external clients over the phone and via email.
• Installed in-house software, via remote, onto customer systems for secure file
• Managed SQL Server 2000 database entries for new customers, providers, and small
custom scripts to compile data for report analysis.
Configuration Analyst Hill-Rom, Inc. 7/2007 – 10/2008
• Responsible for database configurations of NaviCare customers. These databases
use various DBMS systems via ODBC to our Web based application - NaviCare
(Oracle 9i, Sybase 8.0.3, and SQL Server 2005). Used Microsoft Access 2003 as a
front end tool for configuration.
• Created database processes to load data using DTS packages and other various
techniques via ODBC and OLEDB connections
• Responsible for documentation of the NaviCare system in various capacities
including, but not limited to (Configuration Detail, Primary/Foreign Key Detail,
Process Detail, and Version Control methodology).
• Was asked to learn specific pieces to the system for my team which included (Bed
Manager technology built on SQL Server 2005, Location Proximity, Oracle to Sybase
• Responsible for on-site configurations during Go-Live weeks for new customers.
Systems Engineer Pitney Bowes 10/2004 – 7/2007
• Responsible for Pre-Sales discovery of technical data for research prior to project kickoff,
installation and configuration of SQL 2000/2005 based shipping systems, ODBC data
integration, and various background import mechanisms for bringing data into other
Pitney SQL based products. These include products based in both MS-Access and SQL
• Provided monthly presentations of Pitney products to our Sales Partners marketing
• Was the technical escalation point for entire St. Louis district for all installation issues.
Network Consultant Technical Systems Group, Inc. 6/2002-10/2003
Primarily responsible for desktop and server support of all TSG customer environments.
Applications range from Microsoft Office, Corel Office, and Lotus Smart Suite. Maintenance
party servers (Trend Micro).
Associate Engineer Revcor, Inc. 9/2001-6/2002
Primarily responsible for desktop and server support. Applications ranged from Microsoft
Office to 3rd
party Drafting/CAD programs. Maintenance of 3rd
party servers (McAfee). Also
created PC image library using Norton Ghost, for all model PC’s.
Set Focus SQL Master’s Program Minneapolis, MN
SQL Server 2008 R2 Course Training: T-SQL, SSIS/SSRS (November 2010 - May 2011)
Minneapolis Community & Technical College (MCTC) Minneapolis, MN
AS Business Management/Pre-Pharm
PASSMN Minneapolis, MN
Membership & Treasury Director