Bridging: Search Network & Display Ads by Yehoshaphat Schellekens
Data Driven Model
Click stream of
Where to credit the sale???
• “I only advertise on search, why do I need to investigate attribution?”
• “What are the actionable insights you can do with attribution analysis?”
• “what does an attribution analysis/model look like?”
• “I’m not a mathematical person, how can I still use attribution?“
• “In which cases could attribution save me money?”
Possible Segments For Attribution
Possible for SEM, SEO & content but also for:
• In-channel SEM: Brand vs. non-brand
• Day of week segments (people search on weekends and buy
during the beginning of the week)
• Different type of Keywords (Some keywords tend to lead to
• Different devices (if possible)
Attribution for Re-pricing Segments
Sales (Using attribution
Sales (Using Last click)
• In most cases:
• ~ 5%-15% difference in attributed sales compared to
last click sales
• More granularity = more attribution
• Conventional wisdom: Non Brand drives brand
lower than last
• But not always
Re-pricing – Tier 2 publishers
• Tier 2 publishers typically have more
attribution with Google/Bing/Yahoo
• Example :
up to 50%
Last click model
Ozone Media Quantcast Casale Media Accordant
Visualization: click count vs. CR
Highest difference in Conversion
Rate -> in Second click
Flow from click 1
to click 2.
Visualization : Click Path
Each blue line: full path
of a searcher who
clicked six times
In this account, searchers who started in the same hour kept on
searching in that hour
Researchers VS. Transactional
• Some segments are In a state of purchasing while others are
• Find segments that click differently!
Dark bars: faster
Evaluate as many segments as possible
– Click count vs. sale count & click count vs. CR (sales/clicks)
– Sankey plot (flow of clicks)
• Try to detect:
– Searchers who need further information
– Searchers who want to get the product now.
– Important to have tracking system, for visitors & all click to sale data, such as:
DSMM/ DS3/ other click tracking platforms
Save money, mainly in the following cases:
– +10%/-10% of performance change, will make a big difference.
– Large proportion of Tier 2 publishers.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.