On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
ULS Internet Librarian 2011 wrapupPresentation Transcript
ACRL-ULS Internet Librarian wrap-upOctober 26, 2011Internet Librarian2011 Learning, Innovation & Play Rudy Leon @rudibrarian email@example.com
• Change• The future is constant learning• Learning is play / play is learning• Libraries have a role to play• Cumulative learning, learning environments• John Seely Brown http://t.co/8NJWdGr7Overarching themes
• Learning is changing• Learning how to learn is no longer enough• Learning will now require dispositions which cannot be taught, but can only be cultivated• How to build spaces to cultivate dispositions?• How to train librarians to mentor these dispositions?John Seely Brown
• Curiosity. Amplify it.• Questing. Probe, seek, uncover• Connectivity. Learning with & from each otherJSB’s Dispositions
• Social view of learning: I participate, Therefore I am • Understanding is socially constructed rise of constructivism? • Dispositions toward forming affinity groups a key to success • Wikipedia/Brittanica: not accuracy, but new literacy, new way of reading, new abilities requiredThe end of Cartesianknowing & identity
• Homo Sapien (knower) Homo Faber (maker)• Now also, maker of context (remix culture. New context makes content new) Homo sapien Homo faber knowing making• New Blended Epistemology Homo ludenKnow, Make, Play playing
From Training to Learning Emily Clasper• Training happens to you, learning is a verb• Change• Responsibility on learner• Big concepts, transferable skills• Social, personalized• YouTube gamestraining & learning track
Making Learning Stick: A Dozen Tips Polly Farrington• What’s in it for them?• Keep it fun• Play! Encourage risk-taking, create a comfortable environment for failure• ‘Canoe time’/participation, mixed perspectives• Ask for 1 take-awaytraining & learning track
From Training to Learning: Institutionalizing Creativity and Innovation Lisa Hardy and Nancy MacKenzie• Librarian led, Library supported learning • Allows librarians leadership opportunities, leverage their own communities • Library must develop structural models that support innovation, bring into strategic plan, and measure successtraining & learning track
• Created Future Action think tank• What is a Library Future? blog• www.whatisalibraryfuture.tumblr.com• Imagine the Future day, everyone participating in different possibilitiesCalgary Public Libraryinitiatives
Helene Blowers• Developing a culture of innovation How it effects our services• Definitions of Innovation, of play• Fuel creativity, curiosity, collaboration• Idea exchangeInno-play-ion
• JSB • Live stream: http://bit.ly/Il2011JSB • Slides: http://bit.ly/tKiWDP• Emily Clasper’s slides: http://slidesha.re/IL2011EC• Polly Alida Farrington’s Slides: http://bit.ly/IL2011PAF• Lisa Hardy & Nancy MacKenzie’s slides http://bit.ly/s7hIOLLinks to Internet Librarianpresentations/slides
Rudy Leon Technology Training & Outreach Librarian University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign firstname.lastname@example.org @rudibrarian http://deepening.wordpress.comQuestions?