Innovation:Innovation is the amazing intersection between imagination and realityWatts Humphrey-innovation is the process of turning innovation into a tangible formBlowers- about mashing up the known and the unknownPlay:Play is the highest form of human researchFredrick Froebel 1782-1852----education researcher, father of kindergarten Innovation is creativity and risk takingPlay is creativity and active engagementMaker stuff: Published knowledge is known knowledgePublished knowledge is olpd knowledgeLibraries have a stronghold in the knownOur facilities give us the abilities to create the unknownThe evolution of idea exchanger:communication one wayConversation: two wayCollaboration:thinking, planning, making decisionsCocreation! Pay! Joint activity making, joint doing
ULS Internet Librarian 2011 wrapup
ACRL-ULS Internet Librarian wrap-upOctober 26, 2011Internet Librarian2011 Learning, Innovation & Play Rudy Leon @rudibrarian email@example.com
• Change• The future is constant learning• Learning is play / play is learning• Libraries have a role to play• Cumulative learning, learning environments• John Seely Brown http://t.co/8NJWdGr7Overarching themes
• Learning is changing• Learning how to learn is no longer enough• Learning will now require dispositions which cannot be taught, but can only be cultivated• How to build spaces to cultivate dispositions?• How to train librarians to mentor these dispositions?John Seely Brown
• Curiosity. Amplify it.• Questing. Probe, seek, uncover• Connectivity. Learning with & from each otherJSB’s Dispositions
• Social view of learning: I participate, Therefore I am • Understanding is socially constructed rise of constructivism? • Dispositions toward forming affinity groups a key to success • Wikipedia/Brittanica: not accuracy, but new literacy, new way of reading, new abilities requiredThe end of Cartesianknowing & identity
• Homo Sapien (knower) Homo Faber (maker)• Now also, maker of context (remix culture. New context makes content new) Homo sapien Homo faber knowing making• New Blended Epistemology Homo ludenKnow, Make, Play playing
From Training to Learning Emily Clasper• Training happens to you, learning is a verb• Change• Responsibility on learner• Big concepts, transferable skills• Social, personalized• YouTube gamestraining & learning track
Making Learning Stick: A Dozen Tips Polly Farrington• What’s in it for them?• Keep it fun• Play! Encourage risk-taking, create a comfortable environment for failure• ‘Canoe time’/participation, mixed perspectives• Ask for 1 take-awaytraining & learning track
From Training to Learning: Institutionalizing Creativity and Innovation Lisa Hardy and Nancy MacKenzie• Librarian led, Library supported learning • Allows librarians leadership opportunities, leverage their own communities • Library must develop structural models that support innovation, bring into strategic plan, and measure successtraining & learning track
• Created Future Action think tank• What is a Library Future? blog• www.whatisalibraryfuture.tumblr.com• Imagine the Future day, everyone participating in different possibilitiesCalgary Public Libraryinitiatives
Helene Blowers• Developing a culture of innovation How it effects our services• Definitions of Innovation, of play• Fuel creativity, curiosity, collaboration• Idea exchangeInno-play-ion
• JSB • Live stream: http://bit.ly/Il2011JSB • Slides: http://bit.ly/tKiWDP• Emily Clasper’s slides: http://slidesha.re/IL2011EC• Polly Alida Farrington’s Slides: http://bit.ly/IL2011PAF• Lisa Hardy & Nancy MacKenzie’s slides http://bit.ly/s7hIOLLinks to Internet Librarianpresentations/slides
Rudy Leon Technology Training & Outreach Librarian University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign firstname.lastname@example.org @rudibrarian http://deepening.wordpress.comQuestions?
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.