21 Things About 21 Things: Lessons Learned fromStaff Development Presented by: Karen Streeter, Dr. A. Ruth Okoye, and Nancy Butler Portsmouth Public Schools Portsmouth, Virginia http://iste2010pps.pbworks.com/
Session Goal: Upon completion of this session, the educator will recognize that a “21 Things” initiative provides flexible, cost effective, high quality, self-paced staff development for a range of stakeholders.
Portsmouth Public Schools Southeast Virginia Urban Setting 14,000 students 1100 educators 2 pre-school centers, 14 elementary schools, 3 middle schools, 3 high schools Every building unique
Challenged with introducing 21st Century Skills and Web 2.0 technologies in the classroom?
The Original 23 Things Helene Blowers http://plcmcl2-things.blogspot.com/
2. Apply Instructional Design Start with the end in mind: Plan, Design, Develop. ID target groups, focus, nature of training, end products. What will have changed in terms of the participants skills, knowledge and attitudes?
3. Chunk It Chunks- Quick & Easy. Quantity and Quality built-in.
4. Mix It Up Freebies: web 2.0 apps Paid resources/subscriptions
5. Keep It Simple NING WIKI
6. Customize for Stakeholders Role Grade or content
7. Track Progress Postings - visible to all. Digital vs. hard copy
Track with posts to NING (example)
8. Form a Community of Learners
Community of Learners
9. Unblock Sites Test under separate profiles Recheck after web filtering updates
10. Garner Support Administrators Teachers TRTs Information Technology
11. Find a Way to Generate Interest Strategies…
12. Provide Tiered Support Individual need for help Prodding teachers
13. Provide Classroom Support Using tools learned In classroom
14. Remind them to… Have fun!
Evaluation (Lessons Learned)
15. Technologies that Worked Support curricula Enhance learning