HASTAC web site
Director of New Media Strategy
Developing the RFP
Bi-weekly standing meetings of HASTAC staff.
June 1 MISSION & VISION Ruby updating RFP
- group mindmap
- individual follow-up
June 14 STRATEGIES Ruby adding to RFP
- Ruby drafts online communication (site specs & strategy)
strategies to meet our GOALS
- group discussion
June 28 TACTICS Ruby adding to RFP
- individuals share/bring ideas for site (site features & functions)
content, features, tools that support our
STRATEGIES (also comparable web
sites that we like)
- group process & discuss
July 12 Ruby will prioritize TACTICS, develop Ruby finish writing RFP.
OUTCOMES, and turn this into site
specifications for the RFP.
July 20 Release RFP!
• GROW • TEACH & LEARN • CONNECT
GOAL: To build the feld of GOAL: To inform the GOAL: To build an
digital media and learning by academy, the public, and interdisciplinary network of
sharing information, ideas, and ourselves about new ways of visionaries and practitioners for
practices. thinking and learning mutual support, information
(pedagogies) exchange, and movement
Regular public communication in
a variety of formats and media • CathyCentral
Platform/showcase • HASTAC events
(opportunities for social &
(events, job opps, CFPs, etc.) • Showcase
(eg: projects, people)
• Reach out to and include the
UNusual suspects • Curate
(eg: syllabi, projects, • Profles
recommended reading) • Groups
Identify & support innovative
• Demonstrate our values in • Social tools...
efforts, connect innovators,
action (eg: enable & support
showcase their work. • Share
• Highlight • Network weaving?
• Discuss (forums)
• Social network presences (ie:
• HASTAC Scholars! Twitter, FB, etc)
(Forums, blogs, network,
Portal concept: simple & fexible
• Portal templates for different types of collections, such as: gallery, tagtopic, group,
guest curator, homelanding page, programinitiative, "top 3," ... Plus custom portals we
• Types of portal blocks (views), ie: modular puzzle pieces:
meta info (ie: about the author/post), excerpts of recent or featured blog entries (w/
icons), excerpts of recent or featured forums (w/ icons), recommended/external links,
media (images, documents, videos, etc.), feature (with image) from a node or custom,
user list or grid (w/icons), list of recent comments, list of most read or most comments,
activity stream (or social media links), RSS aggregator, search box, internal links
(related to the program/info), upcoming events, map?, ...
• Layout??? Can we say they'll be 3 x 3, for example? Probably not, or at least some will
span 2 or 3 columns.
• Use common language/symbols so users come to understand/expect what things mean
“Portals” → “Collections” & “Sets”
Sets: curated content
Collections: modular presentation
• Sites we like (or don't)
(internal list and
• Community feedback
• E-mail suggestions from
stakeholders like you
The Request for Proposals
a. About HASTAC b. Web site purpose
c. Current site statistics
2. Site specifcations and strategy
a. Platform b. Design c. Usability
d. Audience e. Key features
3. Content migration
4. Site content and structure
a. Content types b. Content organization
c. User profles and social networking
d. Home page e. Scenarios
5. Proposal requirements
Proposals were due August 23.
Received 20 qualifed proposals!
Selected 7 semi-fnalists.
Interviewing 3 fnalists.
Next: select vendor,
launch new site in 2011!
Director of New Media Strategy