1. First Prize£10 Amazon.co.uk gift card for eachmember of teamSecond PrizeSmashing Magazine CSS bundle(3 eBooks)
2. Programming &Development
3. Question 1If you add the two binary numbers0111 and 0110, what is the decimalequivalent of the result?
4. Question 2What is the diﬀerence between arraypop and push?
5. Question 3Can you determine the output of  thevery badly written piece of codeprovided?
6. Question 4According to craigslist.com, in 2011,most job posts required whichprogramming language?
7. Question 5What does BASIC stand for?
8. Question 6Which programming languagereleased version one ﬁrst, PHP orRuby?
9. Question 7This piece of code (next slide) was required fora ﬁrst stage interview with a well known socialnetwork:i.  What is the name of the sorting algorithm used in sortMe($binaryNumbers)?ii.  In what order do the binary numbers appear in the variable $output at the end of execution?
10. Question 7
11. Question 8What is the name of the person whooriginally founded PHP?
12. Question 9What letter option is used to invertthe sense of matching in thecommand line tool grep?
13. Question 10What is the highest value an unsigned32-bit integer can store?
14. The Google Interview
15. Question 1A parking spot is unoccupied 1/3 ofthe time, but, you ﬁnd it empty fornine consecutive days in a row.Find the probability that it will beempty on the tenth day.
16. Question 2A book has N pages, numbered theusual way, from 1 to N.The total number of digits in the pagenumbers is 1,095.How many pages does the book have?
17. Question 3A man pushed his car to a hotel andlost his fortune. What happened?
18. Question 410, 9, 60, 90, 70, 66,What number comes next in theseries?
19. Question 5When can you add 2 to 11 and get 1 asthe correct answer?
20. Question 6I am the beginning of the end, and theend of time and space. I am essentialto creation, and I surround every place.What am I?
21. Question 7A woman shoots her husband, thenholds him under water for ﬁveminutes. Finally, she hangs him. Fiveminutes later they enjoy a wonderfuldinner together. How can this be?
22. Question 8I live above a star but never burn. Ihave 11 neighbours but they neverturn. My initials are p, q, r andsometimes s. What am I?
23. Question 9Im not the sort thats eaten, Im notthe sort you bake, dont put me in anoven, I dont taste that great, but whenapplied correctly, around me you willﬁnd, problems are so simple when mydigits come to mind.
24. Question 103 men are buried in the sand all facing the same waywith only their heads above ground. Each man has a hatplaced on his head which is either red or blue, but theycant see it. The men know that their hats were selectedfrom a bag containing 3 red hats, and 2 blue hats. Theman at the back (who can see the hats of the two men infront of him) is asked what hat he is wearing. Heanswers: "I dont know". The middle (who can see thehat of the man in front of him) man is asked what hat heis wearing. He also replies: "I dont know". Finally, theman at the front is asked what hat he is wearing. Heanswers: "I am wearing a red hat". How did he know?
25. Geek News:Hot off the press
26. Question 1Olympic spectators at the London2012 games were asked not to usetheir phones at the events.Why?
27. Question 2A team from the Agency for Science,Technology and Research (A*STAR)printed a colour photo, measuring just50 micrometres across, the width of ahuman hair.What was the photo of?
28. Question 3Who was the most mentioned athleteon Facebook during the whole of theOlympic Games?
29. Question 4Which image hosting service recentlycontributed to science when a newspecies of insect was identiﬁed in oneof its posts?
30. Question 5Yahoo have employed Marissa Mayeras their new CEO.According to Wired.co.uk, she shouldtake one simple action if she wants thecompany to succeed. What is it?
31. Question 6US TV broadcaster NBC were at the centre of controversy recently after it persuadedTwitter to suspend journalist Guy Adams fora message he posted during the OpeningCeremony. In a statement, NBC said: "Weﬁled a complaint with Twitter because auser tweeted the personal information ofone of our executives."Who was the executive in question?
32. Question 7Microsoft recently revealed they areaxing their web-based email serviceHotmail after 16 years of business.What are they replacing it with?
33. Question 8The Japanese recently unveiled a giantrobot at the Wonder Festival in Tokyo.Kuratas is 4m high, weighs 4.5 tonnesand is capable of ﬁring 100 rounds asecond – or even working as a cleaneror ﬁreﬁghter. It can be controlled in 2ways. The ﬁrst is a human pilot in amid-torso cockpit. What is the second?
34. Question 9Nintendo Wii have announced they areto release an exclusive new game thatwill give players the chance to sing,dance and even duet with world-renowned musical theatre stars insome of their favourite musicals. Butwhich famous composer is the star ofthe game?
35. Question 10Apple have recently been granted apatent for a Smart Cover with anintegrated display.What revolutionary new way could itbe powered?