5 Essential Requirements when Talking with
Prospects and Referring Partners
To Avoid CRAAP
When you are speaking with a buyer prospect (or a listing prospect), ask yourself these
questions as you dialogue. If they meet ALL five requirements, you have yourself a
great prospect and you will be on your way to making a lot of money. If someone
doesn’t meet all FIVE requirements, they are probably not a good match and your time
would be best spent speaking to other people.
One thing to keep in mind, especially when speaking with prospects, is that some of
them have been through a very difficult time and are going to be defensive. Always be
as pleasant as possible and don’t take things personally.
1. C- Cooperate: When speaking with them, are they amiable and willing to
cooperate? Although they may be hurting because of today’s market or because
of credit issues, if they get belligerent, you do not have to work with them.
2. R- Realistic: Do they have realistic expectations? Do listing prospects realize
that the housing market may not be the same as it was 3 years ago. Do buyer
prospects realize that loan programs are not the same today as they were 2
3. A- A Conversation: Are they willing to have a conversation with you? Do they
even answer the phone or have they been avoiding you for weeks? Are they
short with you and give clipped, one word answers or do they at least provide a
4. A- Action: Do they want to move forward anytime within the next 6-12 months?
Are they ready to start or do they not have an established time frame?
5. P- Plea for Help: Do they want to be helped? Are they ready to do a little work
and aren’t expecting things to be handed to them on a silver platter?