Name : Prof. Dr. Ram Sharan Mehta
Designation : Professor (Medical-Surgical Nursing Department)
Date of birth : 30-12-1962 (2019-09-15)
Sex : Male
Marital status : Married with one son.
Nationality : Nepali
Religion : Hindu
Language : Fluent in English, Nepali, Hindi, Bhojpuris and Maithili (both written and
Permanent address : District: Sunsari, Rajgunj Sinuwari, VDC–5, Nepal
Degree Institution year percentage
S. L.C. SLC Board, Nepal 2039(1982) 62.5(1st
I. Sc. T. U. Institute of science 2044(1987) 57.7(2nd
Degree Institution Year Percentage
PCL (GNM) in nursing TU, IOM 046(1990) 77.2(1st
Bachelor in Nursing TU, IOM 2054(1997) 85.7(distinction)
M. Sc. Nursing P. U. (PGIMER) 2059(2002) 70.47 (1st
(Medical-surgical) Chandigarh, India
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) TU, FOHSS, RD 2068 (2011)
Designation Institution Duration
Health-aid Koshi zonal hospital, Biratnagar 2046-11-3 to 2046-12-4 (1.0M)
Staff-Nurse Rukum district hospital 2046-12-10 to 2047-6-9 (6.0M)
Clinical In-charge NFPA, Nepalgunj. 2047-7-15 to 2048-3-27 (8.0M)
Staff Nurse Bir-hospital, Katmandu 2048-2-21 to 2048-9-20 (7.0M)
Staff Nurse ERH, Dharan 2048-8-22 to 2050-4-1 (1.5Y)
Staff Nurse BPKIHS, Dharan 2050-4-1 to 2054-10-16 (4.5Y)
Nursing officer BPKIHS, Dharan 2054-10-17 to 2060-1-5 (5.0Y)
Senior Nursing Officer BPKIHS, 2060-1-2 to 2060-5-7 (4.0M)
Assistant Professor BPKIHS 28-8-2004 to 23-12-2007 (3.5Y)
Associate Professor BPKIHS 24-12-2007 to 13-3-2011 (3.2Y)
Additional Professor BPKIHS 14-3-2011 to 09-02-2014 (3.0Y)
Professor BPKIHS 10-02-2014 to continue
Presently involved in teaching learning activities of CN programme, Generic B.Sc. nursing
programme, Bachelor in Nursing & M.Sc. Nursing Programme of the subjects Medical surgical
nursing, Fundamental of nursing, Advance Nursing Concepts, Leadership & Management and
Research. Completed the responsibility of deputy programme coordinator & coordinator of
Certificate and B. Sc. Nursing. Involved in In-service Education Programme of College of Nursing.
Supervisor of medical surgical nursing units, Provide clinical guidance on Basic nursing concepts,
fundamental of nursing, Medical-Surgical Nursing, Leadership-Management and Research to the
students. Assist in administrative activities and clinical Supervision of M. Sc. Nursing, B.Sc. and
C.N. student. Trainer of various workshops and training within and outside the Institute. Involved as
Member of various committees like, Entrance Committee, coordinator anti-raging rapid response
team, quality control committee of BPKIHS, and actively involved in various research activities and
research guide of M.Sc. Nursing & B.Sc. Nursing Students. At Present I am involved in teaching
Certificate Nursing, B.Sc. Nursing and M. Sc Nursing students along with B.Sc. Radiology, B.Sc. in
Laboratory Technology and B.Sc. OT at B.P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences. At present I am
the Coordinator of Post Graduate Nursing Programme (M.Sc. Nursing) at BPKIHS.
CORDINATOR/MEMBER OF SPECIAL COMMITTEE
1. Member, Quality Assurance Committee: 2061-4-10 to 2063-5-29
2. Member, Research Committee: 21st
April 2008 to 21st
3. Coordinator, Certificate Nursing Programme: 1st
September 2008 to 1st
4. Member, Scholarship & Loan for Students committee, 2004-2005.
5. Member: HIV/AIDS core committee, BPKIHS, 2009 till date
6. Coordinator: M. Sc. Nursing Programme: 1st
September 2012 to 1st
7. Member: Entrance Committee of BPKIHS 2013.
PARTICIPATED IN RESEARCH RELATED TRAINING AND WORKSHOPS:
1. Research Methodology Training: 19-23 September, 2005, Organized by NHRC.
2. Training of Trainers on Data management & Analysis: 24-28 October 2005 Organized by
3. Clinical Epidemiology Training Programme: 11-13 July 2005, Organized at BPKIHS.
4. Training of Trainer’s on advanced statistical Measures used in Epidemiological Research
Design (13-22 dept. 06) conducted by NHRC.
5. Epidemiology training (15-17 Nov. 06) organized by INDIACLEN.
6. Statistical Methods in Medical Research and introduction to SPSS: 10-11 July 2010,
NIMHANS, Bangalore, India.
7. Medical Writing Training: 17-20 May, 2011, PHSI, New Delhi, India.
8. Organizer and Resource Person: Research Methodology Training 3-7 March 2013.
9. Design and Conduct of Observational Studies: 11-14 March, 2014, New Delhi.
1. International Conference on Pain: 25-26 February 2000.
2. M.Sc. Nursing Curriculum Development Workshop: 24-27 November 2003.
3. ONAI, Oncology Nursing Conference, 6-8 January 2005. Mumbai
4. ISCCM, Critical Care Congress 2012: 15-19 February 2012, Pune, India.
5. SARS Surveillance and Hospital Infection Control Training: 25-26 May 2004, MOH.
6. Short Term Training on HIV/AIDS: 17-18 January 2008.
7. Workshop: Nursing Management of Patient with Epilepsy. 10-19 September 2001.
8. Workshop: Nursing Management of Spinal Injury. 28th
August to 6th
9. Workshop: Palliative Care-Role of Nurse. 16-25 April 2001.
10. Workshop: Airway, Ventilation & Resuscitation. 13-14 March 2004. BPKIHS
11. Conference: Cancer Nursing 8-12, 2004, Sydney, Australia.
12. Primary Trauma Care: 3-5 October 2007, at BPKIHS
13. Logistic Management TOT for ARV drug and HIV test kits. 30th
May to 6th
14. Conference: ANEMECON-21, 5-8 March 2003. BPKIHS
15. Participation: INDIACLEN MEETING 2006. 15-17 November 2006.
16. Conference: GPAN.26-27 November 2006. Kathmandu.
17. Conference: 7th
Asian Cardiac Nursing. 20-22 February 2007, Escort, New Delhi.
18. Participation: National CME of Psychiatrics. 29-30 November 2007.
19. Conference: EMCON 2008, 14-16 November 2008, Salem, India.
20. Workshop: Head & Neck Live Surgery. 12-14 October 2007. BPKIHS.
21. Conference: 3rd
National AIDS conference. 4-7 July 2008. Kathmandu.
22. Conference: SAARC Tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS & Respiratory Disease. 15-18 December
2008. Kathmandu, Nepal.
23. Conference: Cancer Nursing. 17-21 August 2008, Singapore.
24. Workshop: Trauma and Emergency Nursing Course. EMCON, 2008. Salem, India.
25. Participation: Holistic Health Conference for Nursing Professionals. 18-22 September 2009.
Abu Road, Rajasthan, India.
26. Course: Comprehensive Trauma Life Support, ITACCS, INDIA, 20-22 August 2009,
27. Teachers Training Completion: 2-4 May 2010.
28. European AIDS Conference, 12-15 October 2011, Belgrade, Serbia, Europe
WCTOH, Singapore, 20-24 March, 2012.
30. Criticare. 18-19 October 2012, Pune, India
31. Duty: International Conference, 3-5 Jaunary 2013, Kochin Kerala
32. Participated and Presented Paper on World Congress of Nephrology, 31 May to 4th
2013, Hong Kong.
33. Global Nursing Leadership Training (GNLI), 7-13th
August 2013, Geneva, Switzerland.
European AIDS Conference, 16-19 October 2013, Brussels, Belgium.
FACILITATOR, RESOURCE PERSON OF WORKSHOPS/SEMINARS:
1. Resource Person: Training of Trainers on Clinical Management of Sever
Malaria. 28-31October 2007, BPKIHS
2. Facilitator: Short Term Training for Ward Attainments & Hospital Aids.
3. Resource Person: Development of Nursing Procedure Manuel. 8-10 June 2011. BPKIHS
SPECIAL GUEST LECTURE, PLENARY TALKS & APPRECIATION:
1. Appreciation for participation in: Diabetes, Hypertension, and Kidney disease screening
2. Appreciation for judge for 19th
Scientific Session September 2012, BPKIHS.
3. Appreciation for conducting Entrance exam 2007. BPKIHS.
4. Appreciation: 7th
Convocation Ceremony of BPKIHS. 22 January 2010.
1. Chitwan Medical College, TU, for M.Sc. Nursing Programme.
2. National Medical College, TU, for Bachelor Nursing Programme.
1. India: New Delhi, Mumbai, Chandigarh, Cheeni, Kanya Kumari, Kochin, Kerala, Selam,
Pune, Amritsar, Simla, Hariduar, Risikesh, Kolkata, Patna, & Others.
4. Sydney, Australia
5. Austria, Europe
6. Serbia, Belgrade, Europe
7. Hong Kong
8. Belgium: Brussels
9. Netherlands: Amsterdam
10. France: Paris
11. Switzerland: Geneva
PRIZE, AWARD, SCHOLARSHIP & MEDALS RECEIVED:
1. Awarded “VICE-CHANCELLOR GOLD MEDAL” in 1997- for topper in all bachelor
programmes in Tribhuvan University (TU).
2. MERA DEVI RANA GOLD MEDAL of 2055 of TU, IOM- For topper in medical-surgical
3. MAHENDRA BIDYA BHUSHAN (GA) of 2000-For distinction and topper in bachelor
programme in T.U.
4. Rup Kumari Gurng Nursing Scholarship, for 2052/2053 BS.
5. Mahendra Bidhya Bhusan (KA): Completing PhD, 2013
6. Ph.D. Scholarship, 2008, UGC, Sanothimi, Bhaktpur, Nepal
7. Travelling Scholarship: to attain 13th
Europian AIDS conference, Belgrade, Serbia
8. Travelling Scholarship: to attain ISNCC cancer conference at Sydney, Australia
9. EAC travelling grant, 2011 to attain 13th
EAC at Belgrade, Srbia, Europe
10. WCN travelling grant, 2013 to attain Nephrology Conference at Hong Kong
11. EAC travelling grant, 2013 to attain 14th
EAC at Belgium, Europe
12. ICN, leadership training grant 7-13 August 2013 at Switzerland, Europe
13. Best Teachers Award, 2014, BPKIHS & Parikarma Society, Nepal
Examiner of Practical examinations of “Fundamentals of Nursing”, “Basic Nursing Concepts”,
“Medical-Surgical Nursing”, “Research”, “Leadership & Management” and “Nursing
Education” to the Certificate Nursing, B. Sc. Nursing and M. Sc. Nursing Students and served as
the external examiner in other universities of Nepal like Tribhuvan University, Purbanchal
University and Kathmandu University.
LIFE MEMBER/MEMBER/ADVISOR & OTHERS:
1. Life Member of Nursing Association of Nepal (No- 1011)
2. Life Member of Asian Association of Cardiac Nurses (No- 00611)
3. Nepal Nursing Council Registration No- 507
4. Founder President of Rural Awareness Center, Sunsari, HMG-Reg. No. 482/447(2054), SWC
5. Advisor and Members of various NGOs & INGOs of Sunsari & Morang District
8. President: Nursing Association of Nepal, BPKIHS Unit, Dharan (2010 till date)
9. Member: International AIDS Society (IAS)
10. Member: Academic Council, Purbachal Universtiy, 2011-2013.
1. Change in the Knowledge and Attitude of ANMs Working at BPKIHS Regarding Cervical
Cancer after Educational Intervention. ( B. Sc. Nursing 2003)
2. Quality of Life of Patients of with Hypertension ( B. Sc. Nursing 2005)
3. Impact of Education Intervention on Knowledge Regarding Legal Issues among the Nursing
Personnel working in BPKIHS. ( B. Sc. Nursing 2006)
4. Knowledge and Practice of Universal Precaution among the nurses working in Medical-
Surgical Nursing Department of BPKIHS (B. Sc. Nursing, 2007).
5. Professional Satisfaction among the Pass-out B. Sc. Nursing graduates from BPKIHS. (B. Sc.
6. Knowledge Attitude and Practice Regarding Post Exposure Prophylaxis of HIV among the
Nurses Working in BPKIHS (B. Sc. Nursing, 2009).
7. Effectiveness of Education Intervention Programme on Hepatitis-B among the High School
students at Dharan (B. Sc. Nursing, 2010).
8. Nutritional status of the People Living with AIDS receiving ART at BPKIHS (B. Sc.
9. Knowledge and Self Care Practice among the Clients of Chronic Liver Disease Attending
B.P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences (B. Sc. Nursing, 2012).
10. Effectiveness of Educational Intervention on Knowledge Regarding CKD among the Nurses
working in a Tertiary Care Hospital in Eastern Nepal (Master Thesis, 2013)
1. Impact of training programme on care of people living with HIV/AIDS among the nurses
working in BPKIHS. Nursing Journal of Nepal. 2010; 5:11-17.
2. Patient’s attitude towards nursing students of BPKIHS. Journal of Nepal Health Research
Council. 2006; 4(2):45-50.
3. Risk factors, associated health problems, reasons for admission and knowledge profile of
diabetes patients admitted in BPKIHS. KUMJ; 2006; 4(1):11-13.
4. Effect of training programme regarding First-aid management among the high school
students. 2005; 3(1): 17-22.
5. Satisfaction of patients and their relatives receiving nursing care at BPKIHS. Journal of
Nepal nursing council. 2004; 2(2): 45-47.
6. Analysis of Nursing work activities in relation to patient care in medical surgical wards of a
tertiary level super-specialty hospital of Nepal. Journal of the Hospital Administration.
7. Socio-demographic profile and outcome of the admitted AIDS patients in BPKIHS Nepal.
Journal of Tuberculosis, Lung Disease, and HIV/AIDS. 2007; 4(1): 19-22.
8. Perception of nursing students about nursing Profession. Nursing Magazine of NNC. 2006;
9. An overview of nursing service in TUTH. Journal of nursing education of Nepal. 1998;
10. Job-related stress among the nurses working in PBKIHS, Nepal. Nursing and Midwifery
Research Journal. 2005; 1(2): 70-76.
11. Research article, "Overview of nursing service at TUTH”, published in Journal of Nursing
Education of Nepal, 1998.
12. Nurses responsibilities in pain management. Published in Journal of Nursing Education of
13. Satisfaction of client’s and their relatives receive nursing at BPKIHS published in journal of
the Nepal nursing council 2004.
14. Nursing standards. Published in the Journal of Nepal Nursing Council 2004
15. Stress and it’s management co-author. Published in Journal of NEN 2004
16. Biomedical waste and Hospital Acquired infection. Published in Journal of Nursing
Education of Nepal 2004
17. Article, “quality patient care and nursing audit”, published in SOVENIR 40th
celebration of nursing campus, Lalitpur, 1st
18. Research article (co-author):-Initial experiences with intermittent peritoneal dialysis at
BPKIHS. (Published in Indian kidney society journals).
19. Article, "Nursing profession in Nepal: past present and future”, published in Vision of
BPKIHS 2056. (In Nepali)
20. Article, "common legal issues related to nursing”, published in VISION of BPKIHS 2056.
21. A study about health hazards among nursing personnel working at TUTH. Published in
NAN, Journal, 2056.
22. Relationship between admission eligibility criteria and academic success of the B.Sc. nursing
students admitted at BPKIHS ( Co-author).(Published in Indexed Journal-JNMC)
23. Publication of booklets: [for public information & interest: Free distribution by author]
a. Diabetes Patient Care
b. First-Aid: Common Problems
c. Cancer: Education & Information
d. Renal Failure
e. Hypertension: Information
f. HIV/AIDS: Information
g. HBC to the People Living with HIV/AIDS.
24. Publication of Books: [By: Jaypee Brothers, India & Makalu Publication, Nepal]
a. NURSING CONCEPTS”: ISBN: 99946-679-5-5: 2nd
Edition on 2009
b. Hand book of Diagnostic Procedures: ISBN: 99946-705-6-5
c. Leadership and Management: ISBN: 99946-755-9-1: 3nd
d. Oncology Nursing, Jaypee Brothers, India: ISBN: 81-8448-098-9
e. Text Book of Nursing Research. ISBN:978-9937-503-76-1, 2012
f. Nursing Entrance Guide: 2012
SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH PROJECTS COMPLETED:
1. Knowledge and practice of Health Hazards among the nurses working in the general wards of
2. Satisfaction of patients and their relatives receiving nursing care at BPKIHS; 1998. (Under
3. Initial experiences with intermittent PD at BPKIHS; 1998.
4. Effectiveness of maintaining oral hygiene nursing care among self-care deficit patient. (paper
presented on BPKIHS Scientific forum 2003)
5. Socio-Economic, cultural, and Knowledge profile of kala-azar patients from eastern Nepal.
(Paper presented on BPKIHS Scientific forum)
6. Prevalence of Breast cancer among the admitted patients at BPKIHS.
7. Satisfaction of patient and their relatives regarding Emergency-Nursing service (Under
BPKIHS research grant and paper presented at BPKIHS Scientific forum 2004)
8. Socio-demographic, Knowledge and Health profile of the patients undergoing dialysis at
BPKIHS. (Paper presented on BPKIHS Scientific forum 2003)
9. Risk factors, associated health problems, reasons for admission and knowledge profile of the
diabetic patients admitted in the BPKIHS. (Paper presented at BPKIHS Scientific forum
10. Confidence of ANMs on performing basic nursing skills before and after planned training
programme for newly appointed ANMs at BPKIHS.2003 (paper presented on BPKIHS
Scientific forum 2003)
11. Analysis of nursing care needed for the patients admitted in medical-surgical wards at
BPKIHS.2003. (Paper presented on BPKIHS Scientific forum 2003)
12. Opinion of Bachelor nursing graduates (B.Sc./BN) regarding M.Sc. nursing programme.
(Findings presented during M.Sc. Nursing Curriculum Development Workshop)
13. Relationship between admission eligibility criteria and academic success of the B.Sc. nursing
students admitted at BPKIHS (paper presented on BPKIHS Scientific forum)
14. Job-satisfaction among staff nurses working at BPKIHS
15. Effect of planned training programme on cervical Cancer among the nurses working at
BPKIHS. (Research co-guide)
16. Perception about nursing among the newly admitted nursing students in 2003 batch at
BPKIHS (paper presented on BPKIHS Scientific forum)
17. Reasons for turnover among the nurses working at BPKIHS. (Under BPKIHS research grant)
18. Effectiveness of informational booklet on Dialysis (under BPKIHS research grant)
19. Job related stress among the nurses working in critical care areas at BPKIHS.(Paper
presented in BPKIHS Scientific forum)
20. Satisfaction of clients in relation to hospital expenditure (Under BPKIHS research grant &
Paper presented in BPKIHS Scientific forum 2005)
21. Effectiveness of first-aid training programme among the high-school students. Under NHRC
Research grant. ( Among 696 Participants) (paper presented on BPKIHS Scientific forum
22. Effect of First Aid Training Program For School Teachers And School Management
Committee Members of Morang District Nepal
23. Effect of Training for Nurses Working In Teaching District Hospitals. (paper presented on
BPKIHS Scientific forum 2006)
24. Perception of Newly Admitted Nursing Students in 2005 Batch at BPKIHS about Nursing
Profession. (paper presented on BPKIHS Scientific forum 2006)
25. Patients’ Attitude towards Nursing Students of BPKIHS. (paper presented on BPKIHS
Scientific forum 2006)
26. Socio-Demographic Profile of the HIV/AIDS Patients Admitted In BPKIHS. (paper
presented on BPKIHS Scientific forum 2007)
27. Knowledge Profile About the Care of Spinal Cord Injury Patients & Their Caretakers at
BPKIHS (paper presented on BPKIHS Scientific forum 2007)
28. Reasons for Ingestion of OPP among the Admitted Clients in BPKIHS. (Paper presented on
BPKIHS Scientific forum 2007)
29. Effectiveness of Training Programme on Care of Patients with AIDS among the nurses
working in BPKIHS in 2007. (Paper presented in scientific session of BPKIHS in 2008)
30. Profile of the Admitted Cancer Patients in B.P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences Nepal.
(Paper presented on BPKIHS Scientific forum 2007)
31. Knowledge and attitude towards the people living with HIV/AIDS among the nurses working
in BPKIHS. (paper presented on BPKIHS Scientific forum 2008)
32. Knowledge about HIV/AIDS among the nursing students studying in BPKIHS (Paper
presented in scientific session of BPKIHS in 2008)
33. Needs and Experiences of family members of the patients admitted in ICU/CCU of B. P.
Koirala Institute of Health Science (Paper presented in Scientific Session 2009)
34. Home-based Care to the People living with AIDS and their Effects on the Family in Eastern
Rural Nepal: An Aspects analysis (Paper presented in Scientific Session 2009)
35. Family Burden of the People living with AIDS getting treatment of BPKIH (Paper presented
in Research Forum Meet of BPKIHS 2009)
36. Professional Satisfaction among pass-out B.Sc. Nursing Students of BPKIHS. (Paper
presented in scientific session of BPKIHS 2009)
37. Impact of Education Intervention Programme on Care and Support to the People Living with
HIV/AIDS Receiving ART at BPKIHS.
38. Audit of the Patients Admitted in Critical Care Units of BPKIHS
39. Critical Care Nurses’ Knowledge on Adult Mechanical Ventilation Management
40. Impact of Education Intervention Programme on Care and Support to the People Living With
HIV/AIDS Receiving ART at BPKIHS
41. Critical Care Nurses’ Skill Working in B P Koirala Institute of Health Sciences
42. Nursing Care Times Required Providing the Care to the Patients on Adult Mechanical
Ventilator Admitted in ICU of BPKIHS
43. Home-based Care to the People living with AIDS and their Effects on the Family in Eastern
Rural Nepal: An Aspects analysis.
44. Strengthening leadership qualities among the nurses working in BPKIHS.
45. Enhancing the knowledge and practices on PEP of HIV among the Nurses working in
46. Nutritional Status of the People Living with AIDS Receiving ART at BPKIHS.
47. Enhancing the Knowledge and Practices regarding the prevention and care of Hepatitis-B
among the nurses working in Medical Units of BPKIHS.
48. Strengthening Knowledge and Practices Regarding Life Support Measures among the Nurses
Working in Medical Units of BPKIHS.
49. Lung Cancer Patients in Eastern Region of Nepal
50. Lifestyle Pattern among the People Living with AIDS in Eastern Nepal
51. Cancer in the People Living with AIDS.
52. Smoking, Alcohol and Sexual Practices among the PLWHA.
53. Economical Problems Faced by the People Living with AIDS.
54. Profile of the hospitalized Japanese Encephalitis Patients admitted in BPKIHS.
55. Telephone Health Service to Improve the Quality of Life of the People Living with AIDS in
56. Self-management Intervention to Improve the Quality of Life for People Living with AIDS.
57. Effectiveness of Education Intervention in Improving the QoL of the PLWA in Eastern
Ram Sharan Mehta, Ph.D.
Medical–Surgical Nursing Department
College of Nursing
B. P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences
Dharan, Sunsari, Nepal
Post Box No: 56701
Tel. No.: 00 977 – 25 – 525555 Ext. 5430(O), 3022 (R)
Fax No. 00 977-25-520251
Mobile: 00977- 9842040537
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Websites: www.bpkihs.edu & www.slideshare.net/rsmehta