Role based- for example, everyone assigned to accounting roles are granted view-access to account balances, but only the users assigned the role of CFO can change the chart of accounts. Data security- For example, a data security policy can restrict sales representatives from viewing sales invoices from outside their territory. A different data security policy would enable accounts receivable staff to process sales invoices from all territories, but restrict them from changing prices. Auditing - For example, if an administrator changes a user's role, a security policy or a field on an order screen, those changes can be logged and audited.
Support ServicesCompiere provides the Support Services at the level of support selected in the Support Agreement for the Authorized Users. If the number of Users exceeds the number of Authorized Users, Customer must promptly provide a written report to Compiere of the number of actual Users who are not Authorized Users and immediately shall purchase such additional Support Services so that Customer has paid the relevant fee so that all Users are Authorized Users. Customer shall be responsible for any act or omission of Customer's Authorized Users and their compliance with all of the terms of the Support Agreement. Any action or breach of the terms of the Support Agreement by any of Customer's Authorized Users shall be deemed an action or breach by Customer.Support Services will be provided to Customer's Authorized Users only on unmodified versions of the Software. Each Compiere Subscription Agreement and Licenses covers one System and additional fees shall be due for each additional System. Compiere will use reasonable commercial efforts to respond to the Support Request within the Response Time specified in the Support Agreement. Compiere warrants that the Support Services will be performed with reasonable care and skill. If Customer believes that the Support Services have not met this standard, Customer shall promptly report such failure to Compiere (but in any case no later than thirty (30) days after such failure). Customer's sole and exclusive remedy, and Compiere's entire liability for a failure of the foregoing warranty, shall be for Compiere to promptly re-perform the Support Services free of charge so that it conforms to the foregoing warranty.EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED IN THIS SECTION 1, COMPIERE PROVIDES THE SUPPORT SERVICES AND SOFTWARE TO CUSTOMER AND THE AUTHORIZED USERS "AS IS." COMPIERE DISCLAIMS ALL OTHER WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD-PARTY RIGHTS, AND ALL WARRANTIES THAT MAY ARISE FROM COURSE OF PERFORMANCE, COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE.Customer agrees that as a condition of Compiere's providing the Support Services, Customer shall migrate to the most current version of the Software at least once per year using the Compiere Version Migration Services to enable Compiere to provide effective ongoing support.Support RequestsBefore submitting any Support Request to Compiere, Customer agrees to review the Documentation, try to replicate the Error in an unmodified version of the latest release of the Software, and research other support requests and bug reports available at www.compiere.com. If Customer has modified the Software, Customer must inform Compiere about the nature and extent of the modifications. Compiere may elect to provide Customer with support for Errors which Compiere reasonably believes are due to Customer's modification of the Software subject to the payment of a Support Request fee set forth in the Support Agreement.The Authorized Representatives must have received training on the Software as specified in the Support Agreement within six months of the earlier of (i) the Effective Date or (ii) an individuals' appointment as an Authorized Representative after the Effective Date.To be eligible for support services, the hardware on which the Software is installed must meet Compiere's minimum configuration requirements.Support Service ExclusionsNo Support Services will be provided for Software that is modified by anyone other than Compiere; problems caused by accident, neglect, misuse, or improper programming by Customer personnel; failure or fluctuations in electrical power or hardware equipment; or failure of Customer to fulfill its obligations under its written agreements with Compiere. Support services do not include services required due to a malfunction of equipment or software not supplied or maintained by Compiere.DefinitionsThe capitalized terms in the Agreement shall have the following meanings:"Affiliates"means any entity which is controlled, controlling or under common control with a party. For the purposes of this section, the ownership of fifty percent (50%) or more of the voting securities of an entity shall be deemed to be control."Authorized Representative" means the person or persons designated by Customer to communicate with Compiere about Errors and submit Support Requests. Authorized Representatives may be changed by Customer at any time upon written notice to Compiere, but such new Authorized Representatives must promptly comply with the training requirements for individuals."Authorized Users" means the number of Users set forth on the cover page to the Support Agreement as amended from time to time and for which Customer has paid the appropriate fees. All Users of the System must become Authorized Users. The failure to pay the appropriate fees when due is cause for termination of the Support Agreement."Error"means a reproducible defect in the Software that causes the Software not to operate substantially in accordance with its Documentation."Error Report" means the report of an Error by the Authorized Representative which is not a Support Request. Compiere will determine whether a communication is an Error Report or a Support Request."Intellectual Property Rights" means the copyrights, patents and trade secrets owned by Compiere. Intellectual Property Rights does not include trademark, service marks or domain names."Internal Business Purposes" means the internal business purposes of Customer and Customer's Affiliates. It does not include providing services to Third Parties which can be done under the terms of a separate ASP License Agreement."Production System" means a single installation of the Software running with a single database schema for operational purposes owned or controlled by Customer in a production environment."Response" means Compiere's acknowledgment of a Support Request received from Customer's Authorized Representative."Response Time" means, for any single Support Request, the elapsed period measured from the time that Customer's Authorized Representative initiates the incident until Compiere provides a Response."Software" means the Compiere ERP and CRM Smart Business Solution software existing on the Effective Date and the Updates, if any, provided by Compiere. Software does not include Third Party Software."Subscription Period" means the Initial Term and any Renewal Term except as terminated in Section 9."Support Agreement"means the agreement between Compiere and Customer for Support Services."Support Request" means a request communicated by Customer's Authorized Representative to Compiere using the designated procedure to request assistance with the product. An Error Report is not a Support Request. Compiere will determine whether a communication is an Error Request or a Support Request."Support Services"means the services provided to Authorized Users defined in the Support Agreement and at the level selected on the cover page."System" means a Production System. The System shall also include a temporary transfer to another computer in the event of a computer malfunction of the computer from the original System. The Support Agreement will cover a single Production System. If Customer adds another Production System or makes the Software available to any entity not classified as an affiliate, it will need to execute additional agreements."Test System"means a single installation of the Software running with a single database schema in an environment for test or quality assurance purposes which is owned or controlled by Customer. A Test System cannot be used for production purposes."Third Party" means an entity or person who is not Compiere, a Compiere Affiliate, Customer or Customer's Affiliate."Third Party Software" means software licensed by a Third Party."Update"means any error corrections and/or updates to the Software made available to its licensees by Compiere. The definition of Updates depends on the Support Service Level that Customer has selected as defined in Exhibit A."Users" means any individual who has one or more roles and can login to use the Software on a particular Production System and shall be limited to employees and contractors of Customer and Customer's Affiliate(s); provided however that Customer has the obligation to impose the conditions of use in the Support Agreement on any contractors and Customer is responsible for Customer's contractors' compliance with the terms of the Support Agreement. Users also include any employees or contractors accessing the Software through external computer programs or generating transactions through electronic devices. Users are counted for each Production System using the Software to which they have access. For example, the same employee having access to two Production Systems must be counted as a User for each System under each Agreement (i.e. a Customer with two Agreements must count any Authorized Users with access to both systems as an Authorized User under EACH Agreement). Users of Affiliates are Customer's Authorized Users unless the Affiliate is bound by a separate Compiere Subscription Agreement and Licenses.
Accounting, commercial & production suite for micro and small enterprises or medium enterprises with basic requirements It also offers basic functionality for purchasing, sales and inventory management Functionality and user interface can be tested online Migration scripts for upgrading from Quickbooks and gnuCash also available
Accounting data is stored in a SQL database server, for the display any text or GUI browser can be used. SQL-Ledger is platform independent and runs on any *NIX, Mac or Windows computer. It can be accessed remotely so people can be in different parts of a city, country or across the world. The assembly feature can be used to build manufactured goods from parts, services, labor units and assemblies. When the assembly is sold all the accounts linked to the individual items are updated and stock levels adjusted accordingly.
1. Customization Can be customized with external Perl modules and used like a framework Code has to meet defined calling conventions and main core needs not to be modified External module customizations apply on global or on user level Sophisticated meta data customization without special programming skills is not provided Layout for GUI and reports can be changed with templates
2. Flexible upgrades Depends on degree of customization When using external script approach, updates are not a problem3. Internationalization Language preference, comma and date formats can be configured on user level4. User friendliness Intuitive GUI
5. Architecture 3 – tier web architecture Web-based Perl program that interfaces with PostgreSQL using the relevant Perl modules The code is well partitioned, and the main operation modules are written in an object oriented way. Software stack -
6. Scalability Very scalable Two concurrent users can constantly (and rapidly) add financial transactions and run into one query that needs to be rewritten to accommodate their performance needs over a space of more than a year. With the right expertise, SQL-Ledger could be scaled up indefinitely.7. Security Access is controlled on user level Administration can grant several functionality groups per module to a user8. Interfaces CGI, SOAP, La Tex
9. OS independence Independent and runs on any *NIX, Mac or Windows computer10. DB independence Mature open source database system, for data storage, although already using Oracle or DB2, these databases can also be used with SQL-Ledger if preferred11. Programming language Perl
1. Support infrastructure FAQ and installation instructions on the download page for various platforms available for free user and several active regional mailing lists on which the developer pops in occasionally with his inputs. Uses mailing list where there are questions & comments of other users, that is active and helpful. Online demo
2. Documentation 289 page manual Commercial development support contract The developer appears negative towards community-based documentation, to buy theirs Community based documentation does exist to some extent however it should not be relied on as it may be incorrect.
1. Project structure Run by DWS Systems Inc. , Canada & backed by partners that provide customization & integration services Partners located in Australia, Belgim, Italy, Swizerland, Netherlands, U.K & U.S.A2. Community activity 150 – 300 mails a month
3. Transparency Planned features and their progress are documented Bug tracking and versioning systems are not public Developer support is offered on a commercial basis4. Update frequency Regular
1. Development status Stable2. Reference site Many reference site available Its Web site has only very superficial information There are a couple of helpful third-party Web sites, but none with a great deal of detail
Most popular ERP system nowadays Active community ( more than 900000 downloads) Targeted to small and medium companies operating in distribution/ retail and service areas Most system released under GPL, professional Edition available(purely proprietary) Functions: purchasing, material management & order management ( few manufacturing functions) Functionality is organized along business processes: - Quote-to-cash covers whole process from 1st customer contact, pre-sales, sales and order actvities to cash receive (strong CRM funtionality) - Requisition- to-pay covers whole supplier process from request, purchase order, request to payment
• CRM is integrated into other modules(not separate)• Performance analysis covers accounting & controlling• Production currently in beta state and reference customers are missing• Web store delivers basic shop system (integrated into other ERP system)• Service management and basic project management functionality available
1. Customization Allows meta based customizations on the fly without shutting down system Metabase is stores on the database in 114 tables called Application Dictionary Can be modified with Compiere client having administrator rights To create a new window database structure must be defined first GUI consists of a window with several tabs and fields & corresponding database elements
Windows GUI structure input handling and validation, print formats, default accounts, process buttons, menu structure and callouts are defined in Application Dictionary Modifications generate model code For lower level customizations this can be extended with callouts, document process workflows and SQL stored procedures Callout can change values of all fields in a window and access all tables Further customizations are done following patterns followed by Compiere2. Flexible Upgrades Commercial migration tool supports high-level customizations done via application dictionary and callout functions For changes in core code flexibility depends on patterns used
3. Internationalization GUI & reports are translated into English, Chinese, German, Spanish, French, Italian & Dutch Translation efforts in 26 languages Accounting schemes available for US, Spain, Italy, & Germany Supports multiple sites by providing 3 entity levels › System level (accessible by all organizations) › Client level(multiple accounting schemes for single client) › Organization level(lowest level where transactions are performed, virtual organizations supported)
4. User friendliness Tabbed layout Supports a subset of rich GUI Ex. Master views are not possible on one screen Users complain of bad look and feel5. Architecture Mixture of fat client 2-tier & 3-tier architecture Uses fat Java Client Accounting engine is on application server Thin web clients are used for web store and some CRM functionality Beta thin client serving all forms
6. Scalability On DB side Application is mostly 2-tier based and thus depends on DB scalability Used application server supports clustering No cluster installation is documented Scalability is not proofed, but the used components are known to scale well
7. Security Compiere provides a complete application-level security infrastructure, supporting role-based security, data security, data encryption and auditing. fully equipped with an application to implement security policies that protect valuable corporate data from inappropriate or unlawful access. Role-based Security - Each User account is associated with one or more roles. - Roles are used to secure access to both data and functionality. An inheritance-based model is used to grant or revoke privileges according to role. Data Security - Robust data-level security is applied using Roles to restrict read and write level access at the record or field level. - With data security you have the ability to automate internal controls using precise access rules, ensuring appropriate governance checks and appropriate segregation of duties for transactions. security policies are in your control.
Auditing - Compiere provides the ability to audit any transaction in the system, including changes to the Active Data Dictionary (metadata). - New transactions, changes to existing data and even queries of specific records and fields can be tracked in the audit log. - The choice of how restrictive or open your
8. Interfaces Emails can be sent and files can be attached to documents Built- in reporting engine CSV export-import of data is provided by the commercially available migration tool Other interfaces can be developed in Java using APIs9. OS independence Independent and runs on any Linux/Unix, Mac or Windows computer
10. DB independence DB abstraction layer is very SQL-centric Some open source DB’s are available as Sourceforge side projects, but they are neither supported nor tested Sybase also supported Runs under the Firebird database using the Fyracle extensions, without porting SQL code for PostGreSQL was translated manually11. Programming Language Java
1. Support Infrastructure (support services, support request, support service exclusions) Provides various levels of support Support Services will be provided to customers Authorized Users only on unmodified versions of the Software Uses reasonable commercial efforts to respond to the Support Request within the Response Time specified in the Support Agreement Except if expressly provided, Compiere provides the support services and software to customer and the authorized users "as is.“ Customer agrees that as a condition of Compieres providing the Support Services, Customer shall migrate to the most current version of the Software at least once per year using Version Migration Services to enable & provide effective ongoing support.
2. Training User & developer training Implementation Technique Documentation Pack Development Technique Documentation Pack Tutorial Video Online Q & A3. Documentation User manual consisting of 850 pages Little developer documentation is available Auto generated API documentation in Javadoc format is minimal Instructions on Community maintained developer documentation( 36 pages) & Developer forums
1.Product structure Company driven project, led by Jorg Janke (based in Portland, US) Concentrates on development, second level support & training Project management, planning and execution No implementation services no competition with partners More than 70 partners sell consulting & consulting services in at least 25 countries They determine development priorities Track costs associated with multi-phase projects across your business solution.
2. Community activity Active user community Responsive forums About 500 forum messages a month Support requests, bugs & feature requests tracked separately3. Transparency Project roadmap & detailed change log available Public services for bug tracking & change requests Public CVS access
4. Update frequency Regular5. Other lock-in effects PDF generation & migration tool need license Customers with support contract have access to installable fixes & patches They get priority support & optional embedded Oracle license
1.Development status Stable Manufacturing and full web client in beta status2. Reference site Many reference sites available Partners have customer cases on home page & more details are provided during contracting phase Few are presented on an open source conference Own Web site has accurate information Helpful third-party Web sites
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.