Indian Women in public lifeIndian Women in public life
H.E Mrs. PratibhaPatil President of India
Sanya Mirza- TennisFirst woman Officer from
Indian police Service
• Need of empowermentNeed of empowerment
• What makes us differentWhat makes us different
• Pathway of empowermentPathway of empowerment
• Impact of empowermentImpact of empowerment
What is women empowermentWhat is women empowerment
““women empowerment refers to increasingwomen empowerment refers to increasing
the spiritual, political, social or economicthe spiritual, political, social or economic
strength of women. It often involves thestrength of women. It often involves the
empowered developing confidence in theirempowered developing confidence in their
own capacitiesown capacities””..
Why we need empowermentWhy we need empowerment
• Educational problems
• Gender prejudice
• Low confidence
• Lack of unity
• Problem related with health
• Poverty and Ignorance
• The Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Act, 1886.
• The Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961.
• The Commission of Sati (Prevention) Act, 1987.
• National Commission for Women Act, 1990
• Protection from Domestic Violence Bill, 2002
• Sexual Harassment of women at the workplace and other
Institutions – Implementation of Guidelines as per Supreme
Legislative effortsLegislative efforts
• In Society –In Society – »» Establishment of EthicsEstablishment of Ethics
»» Happy environmentHappy environment
»» Secured societySecured society
• In Politics-In Politics- »» Development of NationDevelopment of Nation
»» Opportunities for all.Opportunities for all.
India’s picture after empowermentIndia’s picture after empowerment
In Economic sectorIn Economic sector
Some positive impacts in Economic sectorSome positive impacts in Economic sector
The proportion of women in the IT industry constitutesThe proportion of women in the IT industry constitutes
about 20% of total IT work force.about 20% of total IT work force.
““It is more important to create a general awarenessIt is more important to create a general awareness’’ andand
understanding of the problems of womenunderstanding of the problems of women’’s employment in all thes employment in all the
top policy and decision making and executive personnel. There istop policy and decision making and executive personnel. There is
also the special problem facing women like the preference foralso the special problem facing women like the preference for
male children for social and cultural reasons. This will requiremale children for social and cultural reasons. This will require
awareness, understanding and action. The best way to do so is toawareness, understanding and action. The best way to do so is to
educate the children, orient the teachers, examine the text bookseducate the children, orient the teachers, examine the text books
and teaching-aids and ensure that theand teaching-aids and ensure that the next generation grows upnext generation grows up
with newwith new thinking.thinking.””
• Ramesh Bhandari- Women right and welfare.Ramesh Bhandari- Women right and welfare.
• Asha Kaushik- Women Empowerment.Asha Kaushik- Women Empowerment.
• Pukhraj jain- Political sciencePukhraj jain- Political science
• Hindustan Times news paperHindustan Times news paper
• India Today.India Today.
• Internet Access.Internet Access.