Anatomy unit 3 cardio and respiratory system blood composition notes
Unit 3 Notes:
Transport nutrients and waste throughout
the body to their designated locations.
• Contains living and nonliving components:
– Living = Red Blood Cells, White Blood Cells
– Nonliving = Platelets, Proteins, Plasma,
(2) Blood Cells & Parts
• Red Blood Cells = Erythrocytes
– Carry oxygen-containing gases
– Use protein hemoglobin to bind with gases
• White Blood Cells = Leukocytes
– Part of Immune System
– Protect body against infectious agents
– Fragments of red blood cells
– Aid in clotting
• The liquid portion of blood.
• Made of mostly water, and various proteins
and inorganic compounds (like salts and
• Important Plasma Proteins:
– Albumin Regulates osmotic pressure within
– Fibrinogen and Globulin Aids in clotting.
(4) White Blood Cell Specialties
• White blood cells must be able to reach any
area in body with infection.
• Leukocytes use:
– Positive Chemotaxis To locate infectious
agents within body using the antibody-antigen
– Diapedesis To travel through organs to reach
the infectious agents.
(5) Types of White Blood Cells
– The most common and active.
– First to respond to an infection site.
– Release histamine during infection.
– Histamine dilates the blood vessels to increase
• Lymphocytes: Use antibodies and antigens.
– B Lymphocytes Produce antibodies to ID
– T Lymphocytes Respond to antibodies and
find foreign cells.
– Present during chronic infection.
– A last responder when other white blood cells
did not work.
– Attack and engulf larger parasitic organisms.
• Anemia is when oxygen is not being carried to
• Causes for Anemia:
Misshapen red blood cells
Low hemoglobin concentration
Low blood cell count
General lack of oxygen in system
Excruciating pains throughout the body.
Low endurance during physical activity.
Loss of body heat easily.
• Sickle Cell Anemia:
– Red blood cells are sickled shaped.
– Cannot bind with oxygen and often clog up
• Hereditary Spherocytosis:
– Red blood cells balloon out like basketballs.
– Cannot bind with oxygen and are destroyed by