Islam the divinely chosen way of life lecture 2 encore by amr dabour jan 2013Presentation Transcript
Islam The Divinely Chosen Way of LifePresented by:Amr DabourImam of Bay County Islamic Society
A way of life not just a religion 1.5 billion Muslims Only 15% are Arabs.
M+6+5 = ISLAM
M+6+5 M= Meaning 6= Beliefs 5= Deeds
(A) Linguistic meaning Submission – purity - peace.(B) Islamic meaning If a person fully submits himself to Almighty God alone, worshiping Him purely will live in peace and harmony in this life and in the life after . MUSLIM = A Person who submits to God
Relevant issues• Every human being is born pre-formatted to submit to GOD.• Human beings have free choice• No compulsion in religion.• People are born without any inherited sin (All humans from Adam and Adam from earth)• No supremacy: All people are equal. ( Piety not racism )
1. Almighty God (Allah)2. His angels3. His scriptures (Books)4. His messengers5. The day of resurrection6. The divine destiny
ال Genesis AllahAllah
UniqueHas No PartnersAlone is CreatorThe Sustainer of All That ExistsDoes Not Father Nor is Born
• The All Merciful The All Beneficent• The Savior The Knower of All• The Hearer of All The Seer of All• The Judge The Just• The All Aware The Magnificent• The Forgiver The Highest• The Greatest The Preserver• The Mighty The Generous
• The Watchful One The Responder to Prayer• The Perfectly wise The Loving One• The Majestic One The Resurrector• The Truth The Possessor of All Strength• The Ever living One The Self Existing One• The All Powerful The Supreme One• The Patient One The Peace• The Guide to Repentance
“In the creatIon of theheavens and the earth, andIn the alteratIon of thenIght and the day, there aresIgns for people ofunderstandIng” (Quran 3:190)
The nature of Angels. – Created from light. – They do not have free will – They do specific tasks such as: » Carry messages to the messengers of God. » They protect human beings. » They record our deeds.
Torah, Gospel, Qur’an, etc.“surely, We dId send doWn the torah (to Moses), thereIn Was guIdance and lIght, by WhIch the prophets, Who subMItted theMselves to allâhs WIll, judged the jeWs (Quran 5:46)“We sent jesus, son of Mary, confIrMIng the torah that had coMe before hIM, and We gave hIM the gospel, In WhIch Was guIdance and lIght and confIrMatIon of the torah that had coMe before It, a guIdance and an adMonItIon for the pIous” (Quran 5:46)
Carried by Gabriel 100% correctThe Qur’an is the only book that hasbeen maintained in its originallanguage; Arabic.
What is the Qur’an?• Last revelation.• Principal source of faith and practice.• Deals with all subjects:wisdom, doctrine, worship and law.• Its basic themes are the relationship between God and His creatures and between people one another.• The Quran provides guidelines for a just society, proper human conduct, and equitable economic principles.
sample In the naMe of god, the coMpassIonate, the MercIful1. all praIse be to allah, the lord of the Worlds.2. the coMpassIonate, the MercIful3. KIng of the day of judgeMent4. you alone We WorshIp; and to you alone We turn for help5. guIde us to the straIght path6. the path of those WhoM you have favored7. not of those Who have Incurred your anger, nor of those Who have gone astray. aMen.
sample #2“o’ ManKInd! We created you froM Male & feMale and Made you Into natIons & trIbes, that you May KnoW each other. surely the Most honored of you In the sIght of allah Is the Most rIghteous of you, and allah has full KnoWledge and Is Well acQuaInted .” (49:13)
• One Message for all messengers. Worship God alone and do not associate partners with Him
All messengers are the best humanbeings, They do not commit sinsNone of them is divineJesus (PBUH) is a messenger likeother messengersJesus (PBUH) is coming back
“say: We belIeve In allah, and therevelatIon gIven to us, and thatgIven to abrahaM, IsMaIl, Isaac,jacob and the trIbes, and thatgIven to Moses and jesus, and thatgIven to all prophets froM theIrlord: We MaKe no dIfferencebetWeen one and another of theMand We subMIt to allah (MuslIMs)”(2:136)
Prophet Muhammad is the final Messenger of Allahnot the founder of IslamHis traditions (Sunnah) are considered the numbertwo source of Islamic knowledge and legislationafter the QuranHis people used to call him the trustworthy and thetruthful
Tried to stop him Torture Negotiation KillingIf they put the sun In my rIght hand andthe moon In my left hand to quIt, I won’tstop conveyIng the message, tIll It Isconveyed or I dIe conveyIng It
The Most Beautiful Example prophet merchant warrior He Gave Hope To Billions If you are plantIng a tree and the end offather negotiator the world came , just go ahead and plant It quIckly husband politician teacher
TeachingsIf you see something wrong, then changeit with your hand, if you are not able, thenspeak against it, if you are not able to dothat either then feel bad about it in yourheart, but that is the weakest form of faith
A Sample of his traditions:“nonewho eats hIs fIll whIleuntIl “he of you truly belIeves hIs “the most harmful contaIner a neIghbor goes to bed wIthouthe wIshes forfIll brother what he person may hIs Is hIs stomach,“god does not belIever.” who “the powerful Is not hewIshes Is not ajudge accordIng to food for hImself.“ few bItes are enough for hIm or knocks the other down, Indeedyour bodIes and appearances but else then one thIrd for hIs food, the powerful Is he who controlshe scans your hearts and looks one thIrd for hIs drInk and oneInto yourInhIsfIt of anger.” hImself deeds.” thIrd for a breath.”
Lamartine (the famous historian in l’histoire de la turquie,1854,Vol II p.276)“If greatness of purpose,smallness of means andoutstanding results are thethree criteria of humangenius, who could dare tocompare any great man inmodern history withMuhammad.”
Mahatma GhandiI became more than convincedthat it was not the sword that wona place for Islam in those days inthe scheme of life. It was the rigidsimplicity, the utter self-effacement of the Prophet, thescrupulous regard for his pledges,his intense devotion to thisfriends and followers, hisintrepidity, his fearlessness, hisabsolute trust in God and in hisown mission.
Wolfgang Goethe, the most famous European poet"He is a prophet and not a poet and therefore his Koran is to be seen as a divine law and not as a book of a human being, made for education or entertainment."(Noten und Abhandlungen zum West-Östlichen Divan, WA I, 7, 32)
Michael Hart(The greatest 100 influential figures) My Choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world’s most influential persons may surprise some readers and may be questioned by others, but he was the only man in history who was successful on both the religious and secular levels. It is this unparalleled combination of secular and religious influence which I feel entitles Muhammad to be considered the most influential single figure in human history.”
Resurrection after death.Reading your book of deeds. Accountability. Fair trial judgment. Paradise or Hell. Eternal life.
• Nothing happens without His knowledge.• By His knowledge. He prescribed every thing.
Thank You Q&AContact me at:firstname.lastname@example.orgAmr DabourImam of Bay County Islamic Society
1- The inseparable testimony a- There is no deity but Allah. b- Muhammad is a messenger of Allah.2 - Establishing the prayer..3 - Paying financial obligation (Zakah).4- Fasting the month of Ramadan.5- Making pilgrimage.
1. Testimony Key to enter Islam A.There is no deity worthy of worship but Allah . B. Muhammad is a messenger of Allah.Whoever says this with sincerity is to be considered as a MuslimWhoever dies on this belief will enterParadise if his sins were forgiven by Allah
I bear witness there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah • The meaning of the Testimony None to worship except Him None to fear except Him None to Hope except Him None to ask except Him None to complain to except Him
2. PrayersThe five daily prayers » On time. » Any pure spot on the earth » One direction :All towards Makkah (Sense of unity). » All biblical Prophets like Abraham,Moses, Aron &Jesus fell on their faces in their prayers, Islam is reviving the prophetic traditions that people forgot.
3. Financial obligation (Zakah)2.5% of any cash savings held for one year.5% to 10% of any agriculture income.20% of any extracted resources & minerals.The right of the poor on the rich.Zakah = Growth & Purification.
4. Fasting Ramadan No eating, drinking, or sexual activities from dawn till sunset“O’ yOu whO believe, fasting has beenprescribed On yOu as it was prescribedOn thOse befOre perseverance through Patience and yOu, that yOu mightguard yOurselves” (Quran 2:180 discipline.
5. PilgrimageFor those who are able.Once in lifetime.Universality of the religion