1. Chapter 1 Becoming a Teacher: Looking Forward and Backward at the Same Time
2. "Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher." ~Japanese proverb
3. Metaphors offer a great way to help create images for others of what teaching means to you. <ul><li>the metaphor of an octopus might evoke the image of a teacher with many "arms" reaching out to the needs of many students </li></ul>
4. <ul><li>the metaphor of a sheep herder might create the image of a teacher who is guiding a "flock" of students in a particular direction </li></ul>
5. <ul><li>the metaphor of a social director might form the image of a teacher who offers students a wide range of activities to interest them </li></ul>
6. <ul><li>the metaphor of a decathlete might produce the image of a teacher who is required to be talented in many events in order to be successful at his/her job. </li></ul>
7. <ul><li>Just as every teacher has his/her own style of teaching, every teacher's metaphor for teaching is different. </li></ul>
8. http://www.learner.org/channel/workshops/nextmove/metaphor/ Look at some samples!