What is celebrity endorsement ?
A celebrity endorser is an individual who is known by
the public for his or her achievements in areas other
than that of the product class endorsed
• Greater believability
• Favorable evaluation of the product.
• Positive purchase intention.
Celebrity endorsement are impelled by virtue of
the following motives
• Instant brand awareness and recall.
• Celebrity values define, and refresh the brand image.
• Celebrities add new dimensions to the brand image
• Instant credibility or aspiration PR coverage.
• Lack of ideas.
• Convincing clients.
Impact of celebrity endorsement on a
S=P* D*AV --the multiplier effect
Where S is a successful brand,
P is an effective product.
D is Distinctive Identity
and AV is Added values.
the realm of celebrity`s impact is
confined to bring in a distinctive identity
and provide AV to the Brand.
Establishing a Perfect
Effectiveness depends on the existence of a 'fit‘
Reid & Taylor and Amitabh Bachhan,
Accenture and Tiger Woods
• FOR FITNESS
• FOR HEALTH
• PERFECT BODY
• SPORTS PERSON
• SPORTS SHOE
• 64% of all the Males chose Expertise (in the product)
as their most important variable when purchasing
from a celebrity endorse.
• 50% of all the Females placed the greatest amount of
emphasis on Attractiveness for their purchase
• Celebrities have always been the easiest way for
a product launch and will remain to do so in the
near future on the account of their mass appeal
and a world full of star struck loyal fans.
• Celebrities overtime can influence the loyalty and
make a person friendlier to a brand.
• Consumers are more willing to purchase products
from companies that have perfectly matched the
celebrity to the product they are representing.
• Baker, M.,Tagg,S.(2001). Selecting Celebrity Endorsers: The Practitioner’s Perspective.
Journal of Advertising and Research. 41. pp. 39-49
• Bush, A., Craig, A., Victoria, D. (2004) Sports Celebrity Influence on Behavioural Intentions
of Generation Y. Journal of Advertising Research. 44. pp. 108-118
• Elberse, A.,Verleun, J. (2012). The Economic Value of Celebrity Endorsements. Journal of
Advertising Research. June 2012. 146-165.
• Friedman, H., Friedman, L. (2009). Endorser Effectiveness by Product Type. Journal of
Advertising, 19, pp 63-71.
• Gaied, A.,Rached, K. (2010). The Persuasive Effectiveness of Famous and Non Famous
Endorsers in Advertising. IBIMA Business Review.Volume 2010. pp. 14
• Ponpitakpan, C. (2003) The Effect of Celebrity Endorsers Perceived Credibility on Product
Purchase Intention: The Case of Singaporeans. Journal of International Consumer
Marketing, 16. pp. 55-74.