“The survival Story of
Shackleton and all his 27 men
Endurance and the
wanted to be the first
man to cross
Antarctica on foot via
the South Pole.
• He set off from England 8th August
1914 to South Georgia.
• Left South Georgia island 5th
• Sailed for 6 weeks then he got stuck
in the ice on 18th January 1915.
• The ship got crushed on the 27th
October 1915 and then on the 21st
November it sinks
• Ice gets to thin and they have to
launch the life rafts to go to Elephant
Island on the 9th April 1916.
The Endurance beset in the ice of the
Wedell Sea in a photograph taken by
Photo: Frank Hurley/Scott Polar
Voyage of Endurance
Set up camp on ice
under life rafts with
very little supplies.
15th April arrived at
Elephant Island left
most men there while
Shackleleton went for
rescue with 5 men 24th
Over high seas and wild ocean they land on
South Georgia on the 10th of May but he
landed on the wrong side. So he had to
climb over lots of big mountains to get to a
small whaling station on the other side.
On the 30th August 1916 all the men got
rescued no one died and Shackelton was
Shackleton contributed to
society by showing the
world that he was a
He was a strong and
determined leader who
protected all of his crew.
He also continued to
teach the world about
the Antarctic circle.
Ernest Henry Shackleton
15th February 1874 – 5th January 1922
• Ice trap - Meredith Hooper & M P Robertson.
• The Danger zone – Jen Green
• The Shackleton Voyages – Roland Huntford
• Endurance – Shackletons Incredible Voyage –
• Google images