LECTURE 2: GOALS AND LISTENING
OUT OF CONTROL C.
Markets truly became a conversation
How will you measure success?
How do you want to speak?
What is the market saying?
What do you want to accomplish?
Informer Seller Worker “One-liner
LEAD GEN: HUBSPOT
As the sales blogger Jim Keenan puts it, “A lead today can
be a complaint on Twitter, a question on LinkedIn, or a
discussion on a Facebook page.”
• Getting into the conversation
• Know what is going on
• Don’t be the “dig me” guy
• General market intelligence
• Hearing what the pain points are
• Understanding your customers’ concerns
• Empowering sales people
• Solving problems
• Being available
HOW TO LISTEN
Define inbound marketing. Contrast with outbound marketing
List and describe the three skills (according to HubSpot) to
maximize inbound marketing.
Why do you think inbound marketing is less expensive than
Why do B2B companies derive greater value from inbound
marketing (and HubSpot’s offering) than B2C?
Write compelling content
Engage a community
Email sign ups
• Case: EMC
• The B2B Social Media Book, Chapter 5, 7
• Article: Adding Social Media to the Marketing Mix
• Article: What’s your social media strategy?
Credit; Grade Students:
• Answer the attached questions and submit before class
via email email@example.com
• Answers can be in short paragraphs or bullet points.
• One page is sufficient