1. How Meyer, Unkovic & Scott LLP CanHarness the Power of Social Media Ron Kubitz Recruiting/Training Manager Brayman Construction November 22, 2011 @ronbray @braymanjobs http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronrecruiter
2. WHAT IS (Briefly)Social Media?
3. Social media encompasses thosetechnologies that facilitate interactiveinformation sharing, user generated content and collaboration and are frequently hosted on third partyplatforms but must link back to your platform.
4. Or, it’s a fancy word for theconversations taking place 24/7 online
5. WHYSocial Media?
6. Because your clients are using it! 45 million update Facebook profiles once a day Google and Facebook battle monthly for most views YouTube is the second most popular search engine after Google 80% of people search for lawyers on Google/Yahoo* 18% of lawyers found clients directly through social media* *greenmarketing.net
7. Most Popular Websites• 1. Google• 2. Facebook• 3. YouTube• 4. Yahoo• 7. BlogSpot• 9.Twitter• 14. LinkedIn• 18.Wordpress*11/15/2011 mostpopularwebsites.net
8. Because law firms, in house counsel & CEOs are using it (Recruiting) Factors considered by legal firm/in- house counsel in hiring lawyers: Blogs published by lawyers: 27 percent Rankings and directories: 25 percent Twitter feeds from lawyers: 22 percent Endorsements and connections on LinkedIn: 18 percent Source: Green marketing net
9. Because your competitors are using it 63% of large firm lawyers personally maintain a presence in an online community/social network. [ABA Tech Report 2010] 28% of lawyers using social media for professional reasons 48% of Am Law 200 firms blog [Lexblog State of Blogging 2010]
10. Because it is fundamentally changing the way the world communicates“I simply cannot see how major changes inthe way we communicate, collaborate,network and trade are somehow irrelevantfor lawyers and their clients. Nor, giventhe sheer scale of [social networking]systems and the levels of their usage can Iconceive that this is a passing fad.”--Richard Susskind, The End of Lawyers?
11. Howto use Social Media? Again very briefly…
12. Step 1: Understand Categories of PlatformsCommunication: Blogs, Twitter CV: Avvo, Justia, LinkedInCommunity: Facebook, MHConnect Content: JDSupra, YouTubeCrossovers: MeetUp, Facebook Fan Page, LI
25. Step 2:What are your goals? Examples: -SEO -Finding clients -Establishing reputation -Competitive intelligence -Recruiting/HR -Marketing -Damage Control
26. STEP 3: Select Tools - Professional v. Personal Less Time More Time Guides, Q&AProfess-ional Mixed Use Water Cooler
27. STEP 3: Select Tools -Target Clients Less Time More Time Guides, Q&ABusinessMixed UseConsumer
28. Sample Strategy- Step 4 Engage: Becoming a recognized authority in your field in 90 Days**Caveat: This slide assumes you already have expertise in this area, but havent yet exploited it. If no expertise, go out and establish it and return later.
29. Step 1: Create content (a blog or an eBookStep 2: Upload content docstoc + JD SupraStep 3: Announce blog or eBook to other bloggersStep 4: Set up RSS reader to follow fieldStep 5: Follow trends & talk/market on TwitterStep 6: Identify relevant clients/candidates via Twitter & send eBook orblogStep 7: Conduct webinar on issues, record and upload to Slideshare orYouTubeStep 8: Establish a presence and build community on FB or LIStep 8: Repeat, repeat, repeat and create, create content!
30. Link with Others• The MBA, CAWP, AGC, APC, Various Unions, and hundreds of other construction related associations are using social media…….are you following and linking (sharing) with them?????
31. Final Step: Measure Success What’s your metric? Found leads or hires? More clients? More website traffic? More media interviews? More speaking invitations? Feeling less isolated?
32. Additional Resources• Social Media For Lawyers by Adrian Dayton• ABA Tech Report• Justia.com (legal birds)• Lextweet.com• Lexblog.com• Am Law 200 Blog/SM Survey
33. Questions…Comments…Concerns Thanks for your time!!!