Where I live
Map of Suisun City CA, retrieved on Aug 21, 2011 from
What will we be
doing this year?
• Functions (Chapters 1-3)
• Types of functions, graphs of functions, and function
• Complex numbers
• Rational Functions & Asymptotes
• Exponential & Logarithmic functions
• Trigonometry (Chapters 4-6)
• 6 basic trig functions – SOH CAH TOA
• Graphs of trig functions on coordinate plane
• Radians & The unit circle
• Trig identities & Proof
• Vectors and other Trig applications
• Systems of Equations/ Matrices (Chapters 7-8)
• Sequences, Series & Probability (Chapter 9)
• Various other topics / Calculus intro
• 70% Math Content & Critical Thinking (Tests & Quizzes)
• 15% Professionalism (Homework & Projects)
• 5 % Written Communication
• 5% Oral Communication (Group & Individual Presentations)
• 5% Collaboration (Class Discussions & Group Participation)
1. Larson, Hostetler, Edwards:
Precalculus with limits 5th
2. Various other resources – Websites, Worksheets, Videos,
What you will need to bring every day..
A. Notebook (Spiral notebook is best)
– For Warm ups , Notes, and homework
B. Ti-83 graphing calculator (or similar)
– A free computer version is available –see echo
– You must use an actual calculator on tests.
C. Pencils - I do not accept work in INK
Suggested (not required)
-- Graph Paper
• Class Rules
Following The Rules will result in . .
• Verbal acknowledgement
• A stress-free learning
• A pleasant and orderly
Rule # 1
If you are not present after the bell
has rung, you will be marked tardy.
Be in your assigned seat and begin
working on the warm up activity
as soon as class begins.
Rule # 2
• Remain in your assigned seat
unless permission is given by the
• Bring your notebook, pencils,
calculator, and any other required
materials to school each day.
Rule # 3
Rule # 4
• Laptops, Cell phones, MP3 players,
and other electronic devices are to be
turned off and put away – except when
permission is given.
• Devices used during class will be
Rule # 5
• Respect the school property and
property of others.
• Treat each person in this room
with dignity and respect.
• When someone is speaking
(especially the teacher) we are all
quiet and listening.
Rule # 6
Follow all rules, procedures and policies
outlined in the ACHS and Napa Valley Unified
Includes: Tardiness, hats, profanity, dress
Everything that I do is in your best interest, so please
respect the No Whining” Rule this semester.
Action Plan Form
1. What is the problem?
2. What are the factors causing the problem?
(Please list all of the factors- and be specific)
______3. What plan will you use to solve the problem?
Student Signature: __________________________________________________
Teacher Signature: ________________________
Entering the Room
• Please enter quietly.
• Take your seat.
• Take out your notebook.
• Begin the warm up assignment.
Algebra 2 Warm up
1. Find the sum of each series:
The Lame Joke of the day..
What happens when you get a bladder
And now it’s time for..
When you are tardy . . .
Excused: Place excuse on my
Unexcused: Apologize to class
Find your seat and begin working
•The teacher dismisses you, not the clock.
Leaving early, or lining up inside or the classroom
before dismissal is unacceptable.
•Wait until the teacher finishes and officially dismisses
“Ok, I’ll see you tomorrow- Have a nice day.”
•Pick up all of your belongings and put all trash in the
proper place (i.e. not the floor)
Getting your Attention
When I want to get your attention, I will:
1. Ring my bell
Or 2. I will raise my hand and say
“Class, may I have your attention please.”
•Please stop whatever you are doing, quiet down, and
•When everyone is quiet, I will begin speaking.
Getting My Attention
When YOU want to get MY attention:
•Raise your hand
•Please wait for me to call on you, unless it is an
When you are absent
•Check the Agenda in Echo for the days you were
•Any missed assignments will be listed there.
•Any make up quizzes, tests, or re-teaching
needs to be done during access period.
•See me when you return to check if there
were any handouts given in class.
• Homework will be assigned most nights.
• The assignment will be posted on the
agenda in ECHO for that day.
• The following day we will review major
• I cannot emphasis enough the importance
These will be introduced on an “as needed” basis.
• Taking notes
• Turning in papers
• Progress Reports
• Working Cooperatively/Group work
• Fire Drills/ Emergency
• Substitute Teacher
“This will be an amazing year!”
– Mr. Eick
“I truly believe in your potential and I know
that you have the ability to succeed!”
Problem of the week
1. The problems will (usually) be posted on Fridays, and will (usually)
be due on the Monday 10 days later.
2. Each week one “winner” will be chosen from among the
submitted student solutions.
3. Points will be assigned to every submitted student solution, and at
the end of the quarter there will be a lottery in which 3 students
will receive prizes , and where a student’s chances of winning is
proportional to the number of points accumulated by the student.
4. Students submitting solutions must obtain their solutions through
their own work.
5. “Problem of the Week Party” at end of semester.