1. Marketing independent films Conglomerate vs Independent
2. An independent film is…• A film not made or funded by the major studios/conglomerates.• Blair Witch and Paranormal activity are examples – how were they produced and distributed?
3. Paranormal activity• Cost $15,000• Made by Oren Peli• Took $193,355,800 at box office• Demand to see it through eventful.com• Full release in November• Viral marketing (below the line costs)
4. Blair Witch Project• Cost between $20,000 to $25,000• The movie was positively received by critics and went on to gross over US$248 million worldwide• Groundbreaking marketing campaign where they insinuated that the film was real• Viral marketing is a huge part of the industry• @thefirerisesJOIN
5. Who are…• Fox Searchlight?• Sony Pictures Classic?• Paramount Vantage?• Focus features?
6. Specialty forces• Studios have reassessed their approach to specialty units (film divisions of the major studios which specialise in ‘art house’ or independent style films.)
7. Story wise what are the differencesbetween indie and high concept films?
8. Indiewood…• A product that has had some help from the conglomerates• Like: – Juno (Fox Searchlight – 6.5 million) – Little Miss Sunshine – (Fox Searchlight 8 million)
9. Keira Knightly• Look at the images of Keira Knightly in these posters.• Why have they airbrushed the original image?