1. STUDENT LAPTOPSInstructional Technology FacilitatorsWilkes County Schools
2. The US Department of Educationstates in the Partnership for 21stCentury Skills that student proficiencymeans using the appropriatetechnology tools and applying them tovarious tasks within the classroom.
3. WHY LAPTOPS?• Increase student engagement, motivation, and self- directed learning.• Improve school to home communication.• Improve the quality of student learning and academic achievement as they develop 21st Century skills.
4. WHY LAPTOPS• Provide greater access to educational opportunities, formative assessments, and differentiated instruction by providing one to one 24/7 access to laptops.• Equip students to become lifelong learners.• Prepare students for a 21st Century job market.
5. ISSUING LAPTOPS• All students registering for high school will be issued a laptop after a parent meeting is conducted and proper parent and student signatures are provided.• The laptop will be assigned in the same manner as a textbook.• Students will be reassigned the same laptop the year after year.
6. ISSUING LAPTOPS• One laptop per high school student• Power cord/charger• Battery• Laptop case• Appropriate software
7. ISSUING LAPTOPS• The serial number of the laptop will be recorded.• Once the laptop is issued to a student, it will stay with the student for the remainder of the school year, or until the student withdraws from school.
8. ISSUING LAPTOPS• Students will be reassigned their original laptop each year while enrolled in Wilkes County Schools.• Students are responsible for bringing the laptops to school, taking them home each day, and charging them for use the next day.• The laptops are not to be left unsupervised at school or at home in unsecured locations.
9. ISSUING LAPTOPS• Wilkes County Schools will loan a laptop to students upon compliance with the following: o Parent Orientation o A Laptop Agreement signed by the student and parent
10. LAPTOP RESPONSIBILITY• It is the responsibility of the students to care for the laptop and all other equipment in the manner outlined in the High School Laptop Handbook.• Misuse or abuse of the laptop and other equipment will result in lose of laptop use and/or financial restitution.
11. LAPTOP RESPONSIBILITY There will be a $50.00 insurance deductible charged for damage, abuse, or neglect of the laptop or any of its components. If the laptop is stolen, a police report must be filed and submitted to the school principal or assistant principal within 48 hours. The $50.00 insurance deductible still applies. Mysterious loss is not covered under the insurance policy. The full price of the laptop will be charged if the laptop is lost.
12. LAPTOP RESPONSIBILITY• Parents and students should read and understand the Laptop Handbook before signing.• Students and parents should understand that the equipment is the property of WCS and is on loan to their child.• Students will responsible for proper care and use of the laptop.
13. STUDENTSThings to know and keep in mind:1. Charge your computer every night.2. Do not remove the laptop from its case3. Do not remove the battery from the laptop4. Login only on the computer assigned to you.5. Using software to bypass the Internet filter is not permitted. Disciplinary action will be taken by the principal or assistant principal.
14. LAPTOP RESPONSIBILITY• Students who use Ultra Surf or any other software to get around the Internet Filter are in violation of the student laptop handbook.• Laptops needing repair due to use of this software will be charged $25 after the first violation.
15. STUDENTSThings to know and keep in mind:1. The laptop is assigned to you, but remains property of Wilkes County Schools.2. Do not place stickers on the laptop or case, write on it, or mark it in anyway.3. No downloading/installing of any other software4. The laptop is for EDUCATIONAL use.
16. STUDENTSThings to know and keep in mind!1. Don’t walk around with your laptop open2. Remove your flash drive before walking around with your laptop.3. Shutdown before you leave the school or else your laptop will overheat and will be damaged.
17. STUDENTSThings to know and keep in mind!1. The laptop will get Internet at school through the wireless network.2. You may plug a network cable into the laptop or use a home wireless network if you have Internet access at home.3. Wilkes County Schools will be distributing approximately 6,000 laptops this year. We cannot be responsible for home Internet issues.
18. STUDENTS Make sure the laptop form is signed by the parent/guardian and the student. You will turn these in on Monday when laptops are issued.For repairs…report them to Mrs.Norman in the Media Center ASAP. DONOT attempt to make repairs yourself.