2. CONTENTS• Media in UAE• Abu Dhabi Media Company• Dubai Media City (DMC)• Tecom Business Parks• Radio Stations• Print Media• Television Channels• City Of Life (movie)• UAE’S Information Technology• Dubai Internet City (DIC)• Strengths & Weaknesses in IT
3. MEDIA IN UAE• The UAE is the commercial heart of the Middle East’s mediasector, serving as both a regional hub for a rapidly growinglist of international media companies.• Nevertheless, because the local industry saw the mostgrowth in the region during the boom that preceded theglobal economic downturn, it has been the hardest hit by thefall in advertising revenues that followed.
4. ABU DHABI MEDIACOMPANY• Abu Dhabi Media is one of the fastest growing, multi-platform media organizations in the Middle East. Thecompany manages more than 20 market-leading brands.• The company is committed to leading the development of theregion’s media industry by cultivating local talent and bymanaging market-leading brands that inform, educate andentertain.• Abu Dhabi Media is headquartered in Abu Dhabi, withoffices in Beirut, Cairo, Dubai and Jeddah.
5. BRANDS IN ABU DHABIMEDIA
6. DUBAI MEDIA CITY(DMC)• Dubai Media City (DMC) was launched in January 2001 in line with the visionto establish Dubai as a centre for communications and a media hub for theregion.• Since its opening, DMC has evolved with businesses in segments such asPublishing and Printing, Music, New Media, Leisure and Entertainment,Broadcasting, Film, Information Agencies and Media and MarketingServices.Milestones• 2010Supports Music Rights Workshop organized by the InternationalConfederation of Music Publishers.• 2010Organizes Explore Creativity an event offering independent creativemedia professionals the opportunity to showcase their skills and work.• 2011Launches ‘Thought Incubator’ workshop series.
7. DMC’S MISSION• DMC’s mission is to offer superiorgrowth opportunities for the mediasector by providing platforms forlearning and innovation throughcluster-based initiatives impartedwith commitment, flexibility, andresponsibility.
8. TECOM BUSINESS PARKS• As 1 of 3 parks under the Media Cluster, Dubai Media City(DMC) works closely with the other two sister parks;• Dubai Studio City (DSC)• International Media Production Zone (IMPZ)
9. • DUBAI STUDIO CITY (DSS)Dubai Studio City (DSC) was launchedin February 2005 in response to thephenomenal success of the broadcastingsegment of Dubai Media City; a growth,which necessitated a completetechnical and community infrastructurecatering to the film, TV, radioproduction and broadcast industries• INTERNATIONAL MEDIAPRODUCTION ZONE (IMPZ)The strong success of the publishingsegment in Dubai Media City,led to the launch the InternationalMedia Production Zone (IMPZ) inJuly 2003 as a specialized mediaproduction zone.
10. KEY PLAYERS OF DMC
11. RADIO STATIONS• There are many radiostations in the UAE. Here’s a list ofthem that the people of UAE listen to:• Asianet radio - 657 AM• Virgin Radio Dubai - 104.4• City - 101.6 FM• RADIO 4 - 89.1FM• CHANNEL 4 - 104.8FM• COAST - 103.2 FM• GOLD - 101.3 FM• Sawa - 90.5FM
12. Virgin Radio Dubai104.4:• Launched in 2008.• Joint venture betweenVirgin International & ArabMedia Company (UAE’slargest media organisation).City 101.6 FM• First contemporary Hindimusic channel in the UAEon the ARN networkconnecting with the youthlike nothing else.
13. 89.1 RADIO 4FM:• Has over 2 million listenerssince 1999.• UAE’s premium Bollywoodmusic station.104.8 CHANNEL 4FM:• Channel 4 FM is the groupsflagship station.• Channel 4FM is hugelypersonal, giving listeners thebest in English CHR Hitsfrom the UK & US.
14. COAST 103.2 FM:• Is the group’s secondEnglish Radio station.• The music programmingpolicy of Feel-Good songswith More Music, Less Talkhas helped the station givethe listeners more of whatthey want.GOLD 101.3 FM• Launched on 9th May, 2010.• Gold 101.3 FM will targetupper and middle-classMalayalis with a package ofhit contemporary Malayalamand Tamil music.
15. Asianet radio 657AM:• Launched on 6th Feburary,2000.• Broadcast from Abu Dhabi,Asianet Radio reaches theUAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar,Bahrain, Oman, Kuwait andIranSawa 90.5FM:• Launched on 23rd March,2002.• Radio Sawa is also availableon Arabsat, Eutelsat andNilesat.
16. PRINT MEDIAThere are many newspapers printed in the UAE. Here is a listof few of them:-• English Newspapers• Gulf News (Dubai)• Khaleej Times (Dubai)• The National (Abu Dhabi)• XPRESS (Dubai)• 7 Days (Dubai)• Arabic Newspapers• Akhbar Al Arab (Abu Dhabi)• Al Bayan (Dubai)• Al-Ittihad (Abu Dhabi)• Al-khaleej (Sharjah)
17. GULF NEWS:-• ESTABLISHMENT:30th September, 1978• OWNER:Abdullah AlRostamani (dead in 2006)now runed by familynominee• ABOUT IT: UAE’s numberone best selling englishnewspaper. Majorcompetitor – KhaleejTimes.KHALEEJ TIMES:-• ESTABLISHMENT:October 1st, 1978• OWNER: Galadari Brothers• ABOUT IT: UAE’s numbertwo best selling englishnewspaper. But has lostmost of its readers to dailytabloids like 7Days and TheNational.ENGLISHNEWSPAPERS
18. THE NATIONAL:-• ESTABLISHMENT:April 17th, 2008• OWNER:MubadalaDevelopment Company.• EDITOR-IN-CHIEF:Hassan Fattah• ABOUT IT:The paper isorganized in four sections;News, Business, Sports andArts & Life and a magazine‘M’ only on Saturday.XPRESSNEWSPAPER:-• ESTABLISHMENT:MARCH 15th, 2007• OWNER: Al Nisr Group• ABOUT IT: as a sisterpaper to Gulf News, coversnews, leisure andentertainment and sports,with an emphasis on thelocal.
19. TELEVISIONSCHANNELS• There are a few terrestrial television channels but most peoplechoose from the hundreds of regional channels on offer viasatellite or cable.• The main free to air English television channels are as follows:• Dubai One• MBC 4• MBC Action• MBC 2• City 7 TV• Pay or subscription television in Dubai is available on cable via E-Vision or via satellite directly from the providers such as:• OSN• STAR TV• ART
20. TELEVISION CHANNELSIN THE UAE• Abu Dhabi TV• Dubai TV• Dubai One• City 7 TV• MBC• MBC Max• MBC 4• MBC Action• MBC 2• MBC 3• MBC 1• Al-Arabiya
21. CITY OF LIFE (2009)City of Life is a 2009 multilingual Emirati film written,directed, and produced by Ali F. Mostafa. Set in the UnitedArab Emirates, the film revolves around three parallel lives,amongst many cultures in one city, namely,Dubai.Released on 11th December 2011.
22. UAE’S INFORMATIONTECHNOLOGY
23. DUBAI INTERNET CITY(DIC)Dubai Internet City is one of the largest Information andCommunications Technology (ICT) business parks in the Middle Eastand North Africa region. UAE Vice President, Prime Minister andRuler of Dubai His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid AlMaktoum announced Dubai Internet City at a Gala Ceremony inOctober 1999. This announcement generated a huge interest fromICT companies, resulting in the Licensing of 100 companies inJanuary 2000.As a knowledge-oriented business model, DIC was the pioneerbehind the creation of the business park concept in the region andtoday, hosts well over 15,000 knowledge workers.
24. COMPANIES IN DIC• IBM• Microsoft• Oracle Corporations• Infor Global Solutions• Sun Microsystems• Cisco• HP• Nokia• Siemens• Dell• Canon• Logica• Sony Ericsson• Acer
25. STRENGTH &WEAKNESSES OF ITSTRENGTHS WEAKNESSSize of the population ETISALAT is a monopoly companyLocation between Middle East& AsiaNo local manufacturing plantBasis computer skills part oflower education institutionsCost of internet was costlyOffering courses fortelecommunication & IT fields60% of Etisalat owned bygovernmentHuge government supportDue to Free Zones, advantageto the IT industry in the UAEConstant growth in ArabicLanguage Packages
26. CONCLUSION• Identified as the regional ICT hub in the region, Dubai is a leadingcity in adopting technology. The Dubai Technology E-Commerce &Media Free Zone (TECOM), which was established in 2000, has atotal of 680 companies (from IT and Telecom sectors). TECOM isalso home to Dubai Internet City, Dubai Media City, and DubaiKnowledge Village.• UAE 27th on a world scale in Information and CommunicationTechnology (ICT). The technological readiness, which is a sub-component of the Global Competitiveness Index, measures firm-level technology absorption, laws relating to ICT, FDI andtechnology transfer, mobile telephone subscribers, Internet usersand personal computer.