TCS IT WIZ 2009, Delhi Finals
QUIZMASTER : GIRI ‘PICKBRAIN’ BALASUBRAMANIAM
DATE : 31ST OCTOBER 2009
VENUE : IIT DELHI
Round One – TWITTERING [Direct Orals; +10/0; Passable]
1. In May 2005, Brian Chase anonymously posted a fictional hoax regarding the assassination of
the US President. This controversial episode eventually led to what?
Verification/moderation of information posted on Wikipedia.
2. The key with the number 5 on it on a mobile phone keypad is dented. Why?
For the blind to navigate and dial numbers easily.
3. Justin Frankel created a skinnable, multi-format shareware, which he called ‘Nullsoft’ or ‘nothing
to do with software’. How do we better know this today?
4. What is the concept behind Blackle?
A website powered by Google Custom Search, which aims to save energy by displaying a black
background and font color for search results.
5. This was started in 1988 originally at Mumbai as a non-profit association with specific focus on
IT software and services. Registered under the Indian Societies Act, its Head Quarters are now in
6. Which visual computing lab focusing on services like gaming has provided the special effects for
films like Dhoom 2 and Tare Zameen Par?
Round Two – TAGGING [Direct Orals; +10/0; Passable]
1. The computer scientist John McCarthy coined which term?
2. Name this computer named after a young woman.
Apple Lisa, after Steve Jobs’ daughter.
3. What are these? (A slightly changed question)
Google Chrome themes.
4. Identify the gadget.
5. Identify the device (a different picture used).
GPS Tracking collar for pets.
Round Three - @TCS [Buzzer Round; +5/-5; Round exclusively on TCS]
1. TCS launched a business solution called Provider Performance Insight for
2. In a first of a kind move, TCS became a partner for a Cricket team. Which team?
3. TCS has tied up with which networking giant?
4. In which of the following states did TCS obtain a contract for SWAN (State Wide Area Network)?
i. Andhra Pradesh
Round Four – CROP IT [Direct Orals; +10/0; Passable; Connect using the given clues – Visuals/Words]
i. Thomas and John Knoll
ii. A creek
iii. Buzz Word
iv. A video clip
i. Braeburn Capital
ii. One To One
iii. Al Gore
iv. Snow Leopard
i. The Power of We
iii. Korbo Lorbo Jeetbo Re (Audio)
ii. Rahul Dravid
iii. Connect U
iv. April 6th Movement
i. Better By Design
iii. Cool n Quiet
iv. Superman Theme (Audio)
Round Five – SWODS [Buzzer Round; +5/-5; Work out the name by adding up the clues]
1. The name of a gadget/device.
Movie - Fruit -
Black + Berry = Blackberry.
2. The name of a person.
Slang term for this – Type -
Bill + Gate = Bill Gates.
3. The name of a person.
Name – Segment -
Steve (Austin) + Jobs = Steve Jobs.
Fourth question discarded as winners had already been decided.
The Final Standings:
Winners………………………….. DPS, NOIDA
First Runners Up……………… Sardar Patel Vidyalaya, New Delhi
Second Runners Up………… New Era Public School, Mayapuri
Joint Fourth…………………….. Bluebells, DPS Vasant Kunj and DPS RK Puram
SHARING IS CARING
The Tree of Knowledge
Help It Grow
‘The Nothing Official About It’ Indian Quiz Forum