ID XIn the 2012 Armenian general election, a section of theyouth was frustrated with the candidates.Many of them started using __X__s name as an almightycharacter; the sort of leader they needed in their country.During election campaigns __X__s photos often appearedalongside the real candidates.As the Electoral Code of Armenia does not envisage“against all” option on the ballot, young voters added__X__s name by hand and voted for him.
● Chuck Norris
● Maratha Mandir – DDLJ still running
● The apartments in Friends
How is this place connected to the world of sports?
● This is Trent Bridge
Which summit?● The first summit meeting was held in Belgrade in 1961, and India has hosted it too, in 1983. The previous one was in Sharm El Shaikh, Egypt.● Usually held three years apart, the latest edition was held in Tehran in August 2012. (Fittingly, the US has complained about the UN Secretary Generals visit to the summit and thus Iran.)● The summits have lost a lot of popularity in India, although they were really popular when they started off
● The Non Aligned Movement summit
● __X__ is a British comic strip which started on 17th March 1951. It featured a boy __A__ and his dog __B__● In a staggering coincidence, another comic strip named __X__ debuted on 12th March 1951 in the US. Even it was about a boy named __A__ and his dog● Neither artist knew about the other development across the ocean when they launched their own strip, and hence no lawsuit was filed● To avoid confusion, the US version is marketed in UK under the name __A__ and the UK version gets the name __A__ and __B__ outside UK
● Dennis the Menace,● A – Dennis, B - Gnasher
ID the subject – painting is named particles whirling round in space
● Peter Higgs
● On 30 December 1995, in a match against Hibernian F.C, Paul Gascoigne of Rangers was booked by the referee for a certain action.● This action was much to the amusement of the 44,692 fans form both clubs in the stadium● On being questioned later, the referee Dougie Smith replied “He might be able to take the fucking piss out of you, but he’s not taking the fucking piss out of me”● What was the offending action?
The referee had dropped the card,Gascoigne picked it up and booked him
ID the actor on the right
● Irvine Welsh
Ad for what?
● United Colors of Benetton
Connect these Victorian gentlemen to modern day entertainment (not exhaustive)
● League of extraordinary gentlemen
● Poseidon had given a white bull to Minos so that he might use it as a sacrifice. Instead, Minos kept it for himself; and in revenge, Poseidon made his wife lust for the bull with the help of __A__. She made the archetypal architect __C__ make a hollow wooden cow, and climbed inside it to mate with the bull. This led to the birth of __B__● To contain the raging __B__, Minos had __C__ construct a gigantic labyrinth where __B__ was trapped.● As a sacrifice to Minos, the Athenians had to send seven young men and maidens to __B__ every seven years. One such sacrifice was Theseus, who volunteered to kill __B__● __D__, daughter of Minos, was in charge of the labyrinth and these sacrifices. However, she fell in love with Theseus and offered him a __E__ to find his way out.● The method of solving a logic puzzle or maze by exhaustive application of logic to all possible routes is known as __D__s __E__
Sports SpeakConnect the quotes to the sports-persons.
Quotes #11. 1932, that’s not a time, it sounds like my dad’s birthday2. Its just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up3. In the end, it’s extra effort that separates a winner from second place. But winning takes a lot more that, too. It starts with complete command of the fundamentals. Then it takes desire, determination, discipline, and self-sacrifice. And finally, it takes a great deal of love, fairness and respect for your fellow man. Put all these together, and even if you don’t win, how can you lose?4. Whoever said, Its not whether you win or lose that counts, probably lost.
Quotes #25. Sportsmanship for me is when a guy walks off the court and you really cant tell whether he won or lost, when he carries himself with pride either way6. Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win7. Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. Im very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.8. Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates.
Quotes #39. Somewhere behind the athlete youve become and the hours of practice and the coaches who have pushed you is a little girl who fell in love with the game and never looked back... play for her.10.An athlete cannot run with money in his pockets. He must run with hope in his heart and dreams in his head.11.I spent 90 percent of my money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered12.Im a big believer that the coach is something you travel in to get to and from the game
X, who had migrated from Madras, and begun working as acoolie at the Bombay port, went on to become a rich andimmensely influential man.In the 70s, X ruled the Mumbai underworld, and made afortune in gold smuggling. It was license-permit Raj era, andthe smuggling of imported goods brought him immense richesand as a result tremendous clout. However, he stayed awayfrom the dirty business - smuggling of weapons or narcotics.After his arrest during the emergency, he started using theprefix Y, which refers to those who have been on a pilgrimage
Why was the match abandoned?
● Trial Judge: The court has acquitted them because the Delhi police failed to sustain the grounds on which they had built up their case. The police failed to recover the weapon which was used to fire at __X__ as well as prove their theory that the two cartridges, emptied shells of which were recovered from the spot, were fired from one weapon● High Court: With very great respect to the learned judge [Bhayana], we point out that this manner of testing the credibility of the witness is hardly a rule of appreciation of evidence. ... Obviously, this reflects total lack of application of mind and suggests a hasty approach towards securing a particular end, namely the acquittal● Supreme Court: The evidence regarding the actual incident, the testimonies of witnesses, the evidence connecting the vehicles and cartridges to the accused — __Y__, as well as his conduct after the incident prove his guilt beyond reasonable doubt. The High Court has analysed all the evidence and arrived at the correct conclusion
X is a Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorist convicted of conspiracy in theDecember 2001 attack on the Indian Parliament and was sentencedto death by the Supreme Court of India in 2004The delay in __X__s death sentence has raised several eyebrows,despite muffled hints that he is being used by the government.Recently the delay in __Y__s sentence has been compared to thatof __X__On 7th September 2011, a high intensity bomb blast outside Delhihigh court killed 11 people and left 76 others injured. In an e-mailsent to a media house Harkat-ul-Jihad al-Islami, an Islamicfundamentalist organization, owned responsibility for the attack andclaimed the blast was carried out in retaliation to Parliament attackconvict __X__s death sentence.
● Haji Mastan
● Indira Gandhi was assassinated Goes into the connect – Assassins of Indira Gandhi – Beant and Satwant Singh
● Manu Sharma, of Jessica Lal fame
● Harshad Mehta
● Afzal Guru
Connect● They were all defended by Ram Jethmalani
Gold● After winning 6 consecutive golds in field hockey, India finally lost the medal in 1960. Who won the gold?
London 1908: Significance?
● Length of the marathon was decided. The royal family wanted to witness the start of the race, so the race was from the Windsor castle to the Olympic Stadium
More 1908 – What just happened?
● This flag dips to no earthly king
Name the move
● Fosbury Flop, which has become standard in high jumps these days
● The 1980 games were boycotted by twenty four countries, and fifteen of the participating countries marched under the Olympic flag.● What were they protesting against?
● Russian occupation of Afghanistan
Identify ● This petite 17 year old performed one of the most stunning moves in gymnastics history, which has subsequently been banned after being considered too dangerous. ● The judges received a lot of flak from the audience who couldnt believe that she was awarded just a 9.8
● Olga Korbut, and the Korbut flip
Since 1967, X, the worldssmallest micro-nation, hasbeen occupied by the formerBritish Army Major Paddy RoyBates; his associates andfamily claim that it is anindependent sovereign state.In January 2007, Y attemptedto buy X after harshercopyright measures in Swedenforced them to look for a baseof operations elsewhere.
● Principality of Sealand, and The Pirate Bay
Whats being talked about?Before becoming a living ___ platter, the person (usuallya woman) is trained to lie down for hours without moving.She or he must also be able to withstand the prolongedexposure to the cold food. Before service, the individualis supposed to have taken a bath using a specialfragrance-free soap and then finished off with a splash ofcold water to cool the body down somewhat for the ___.In some parts of the world, in order to comply withsanitation laws, there must be a layer of plastic or othermaterial between the ___ and the body of the woman orman.
ID the male character
What?In the 18th and early 19th centuries, the growing English sea port of__X__ became fabulously wealthy and most of that wealth wasearned by city businessmen and sea captains who took cheap tradegoods to the west coast of Africa and exchanged them for men,women and children whom they then shipped off to the West IndiesJames __Y__ was one of the leading protagonists in the battleagainst the abolition of slavery.in 2006 a well-meaning city councillor proposed that all the streetsnamed after slave traders should be re-named.However, it could not be carried out because a road named afterJames __Y__ had gained worldwide fame for a completelyunrelated reason.
● James Penny, and Penny Lane
Bridge between Hong Kong and China. Idea behind shape?
● HK drives on the left, China on the right. The bridge flips the traffic
● Twin brothers Reginald and Ronald Kray were the foremost perpetrators of organized crime in Londons East End during the 50s and the 60s● "They were the best years of our lives. They called them the swinging sixties. The Beatles and the Rolling Stones were rulers of pop music, Carnaby Street ruled the fashion world... and me and my brother ruled London. We were fucking untouchable..." – Ronnie Kray● What lasting impression did the Kray brothers leave on the world of literature?
● He who must not be named. People were scared to name the Kray brothers because the retribution was so brutal.
● The word __A__ comes from the Persian tale “The three princes of __B__”● __B__ was an old name for __C__, the name possibly originates from the Sanskrit Suvarnadweepa● The heroes in the fairy tale were always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things they were not in quest of
● A- Serendipity● B- Serendip● C- Sri Lanka
Who?● To be honest, X has provided as much marketing impetus to the Big Bash League, probably only behind Shane Warne. If he doesnt ever come, he has done more for this game, and Cricket Australia should put a street parade for him already. Maybe some of the people at marketing who are talking about it being a negative should come and have a chat to me and see what were actually doing and not worry about it.● We dont in any circumstance want to devalue the competition from a marketing point of view or just as a promo or PR, that wont come into it, but I think if you look at the bigger picture ... to have X, if hes good enough to play a game and he wants to be with us, thats pretty good, isnt it?
● Usain Bolt, who is being pursued by Warne led Melbourne Stars
● These two companies went public together at the same time in 1971● After a decade, the price of the shares of one of the companies was double of that of the other, so one analyst noted "This is proof that stock markets prefer memory over mammary”
● This practice is mentioned in the 1948 Vogue edition of the Book of Etiquette as something that should never be used in greeting cards. Although there is a misconception that the origins of this were for the purposes of secularism, many writers consider this practice a blasphemy against Christianity; some going to the extent of equating it to a war against Jesus Christ. What common practice are we talking about?