3. Introduction to TajFounded by Jamshetji Nusserwanji Tata and part of TataGroup.Opened as Taj Palace in Colaba, Mumbai onDecember16, 1903.Operates 76 hotels, 7 palaces, serviced apartments, 6private islands and 12 resorts and spas, spanning 52destinations in 12 countries across 5 continents andemploy over 13000 peopleInspired to open this grand luxury hotel after Jamshetji
4. Why Taj ? To get an insight as to• How HR works in an hotel industry?• How HR Department helps the employees to grow and adapt to diverse cultures that they haveencounter on a day to day basis ? Employees have to face clients directly on 24 x 7 basis. Customer satisfaction is key success factor in Hotel Industry which lies majorlyin employees hand. So employee is key to success in a Hotel Industry.Thus, Employee Satisfaction is the foremost goal. Some extra-ordinary heroic stories of taj employees came forward during 26/11terror attacks.
5. Success StoryTraining and Hiring Policies.360-degree Feedback.ESTS.STARS.“Employees share a deep connection and sense of pridefor being associated with the legend that is Taj”
6. Recruitment & Selection
7. Selection of various depts. like collection, security, house keeping, etc. is quite STRICT & DIFFICULT. The process of selection is as follows: Application Form Written Examination Medical Examination Various rounds of Personal Interview.
8. Training & Development Policy
9. 18 months training - 6 months more than the industry standard Believes That, “The employees can be trained to be better chefs or waiters, but they cannot be taught to be good individuals.” Build Leaders - Each employee is given an authority to take the decisions pertaining to his work and this empowers them and helps in building a leader in all. Train not just on the area of expertise but all the related functions
10. 360-degree Feedback
11. Employees, including the managers and departmental heads are also evaluated by their immediate subordinates. Counseled at a personal level and apprised of where they fell short of the expectations and how to go about it. Guides them to prepare a roadmap for the future ,endeavors and tone their skills.
12. ESTS : Employee Satisfaction Tracking System
13. Conducting surveys to elicit response from the employees and the records collected are used to rate the overall satisfaction level of the employees. Targeted to achieve 100% satisfaction in the course of its operation. Regularly looks into the employees‟ concerns and strives to address them. Forums for the employees to voice their recommendation or compliment their colleagues. Mandatory for the review committee to reply to the employees‟ suggestions within 2 days or he shall be allotted „default points‟
14. STARS : Special Thanks and Recognition System
15. “Customers of an organization can be satisfied by it only when its employees are satisfied.” Recognizing and rewarding employees who showcased excellent performance at their work. Promoted successively to various levels. Employees were not just assessed on their performance but also on parameters like honesty, trustworthiness, concern for the environment, team spirit, cooperation etc. Appreciations from the customers also fetched points.
16. GFT : Guarantee of Fair Treatment
17. Taj has a comprehensive complaint resolution system in place, known as the Guarantee of Fair Treatment (GFT), to ensure that employee grievances were addressed. Under GFT, complaints passed through successive stages in Tajs hierarchy, starting with the immediate superior, depending on whether or not the said employee was happy with the redress response given at each stage.
18. Comparison Taj Palace Leela Palace Taj family considers every Our brand, our employee as an important reputation, our focus on people and commitment to member. service excellence. Has a dedicated forum to raise recommendations Suggestions accepted only and compliment peers. by customers. Feedback is given not only by bosses or peers but Feedback only by seniors. also subordinates.
19. Taj Palace Leela Palace Assessed not only on Assessed on performance but also performance and on on personal qualities. feedback by customers. Employees are Employees have to encouraged to take follow their seniors. authority of the situation.
20. Outcomes of these Policies ERR (Employee retention rate) is the highest amongstall its competitors. Drives employees beyond their duties which was totallyunexpected of them as was in the case of 26/12 Tsunamiand 26/11 attacks. In 2002, Taj Group was conferred HERMES Award for itsinnovative HR practices.With the implementation of STARS, there wastremendous improvement in the service standards andalso the customer satisfaction level.
21. What they do ???Seek fresh recruits rather than lateral hires.Hire from small towns and semi urban areas, not metros.Recruit from high schools and second-tier business schoolsrather than colleges and premier B-schools.Induct managers who seek a single-company career and will behands-on.Focus more on hiring people with integrity and devotion to dutythan on acquiring those with talent and skills.Train workers for 18 months, not just 12.
22. What they do ??? Ensure that employees can deal with guests without consulting asupervisor.Teach people to improvise rather than do things by the book.Insist that employees place guests‟ interests over the company‟s.Have incumbent managers, not consultants, conduct training.Use timely recognition, not money, as reward.Ensure that recognition comes from immediate supervisors, not top