1. Used under CC from http://www.flickr.com/photos/kesta/2639982875, last accessed 10/22/10
2. State of the Market• Association of American Publishers – Adult eBooks: $99.5M in Jan 2012; $66.6M in Jan 2011; +49.4% increase – Children’s eBooks: $22.6M in Jan 2012; $3.9M in Jan 2011; +475.1% increase
3. Two Options
4. What is EPUB?• A digital container for text and images that allows the content to reflow based on the size of the screen.• A standard managed by the International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF).• A structured document that used XML, XHTML, and CSS.
5. Adobe Reader Mobile SDK• Non-platform specific• Supports both EPUB & PDF• Manages DRM• Robust Language Support• Used with Adobe Digital Editions and most e-readers
6. ADE Devices
7. Apple Products• Read EPUB & PDF• Uses iBook app• Allow video in EPUB format• Full-color• Also allow other readers (Kobo, Nook, Kindle, etc.)
8. Mobi vs. ePubMobi ePub• Used exclusively on • Used by almost every Amazon Products. other e-reader.• Format owned by • Format managed by IDPF Amazon. organization.• Kindle format is .mobi • Text conforms to the set with DRM added. of standards developed• Limited display by group. functionality. • ePub3 current version- no• KF8 launched 2012 for reader fully supports. Fire.
9. What about Kindle?• Uses AZW and KF8, both proprietary formats based on Mobi format.• AZW based on older HTML standards from 90s.• KF8 is modern HTML5-based format for the Fire.
10. Usability and E-readers• Modeled after the print book. – Linear text divided by the physical limitations of screen size. – Searchability: fill-text or index. – Organization is by table of contents. – Footnotes, margin notes: end notes – Images and Tables
11. Options1. Automated Conversion Program – Closed systems – Introduce errors• ePublishers – Handle complete process – Expensive• Do it Yourself
12. Print Workflow
13. Program Workflow
14. Ebooks in Workflow
15. Ebooks in Workflow
16. I hate to see people not having fun… just because they dont have the right tools-- which is not to say they need the prettiest, best, most expensive tools. They just need the tools that are right for them. ~Alton BrownImage from foodnetwork.com, http://www.foodnetwork.com/alton-brown/bio/index.html, last accessed 9/7/10
17. Free Tools• Coding – Notepad++ (PC) – TextWrangler (MAC) – iBooks author (MAC)• Creating/ Zipping – Sigil – Calibre – ePub Zip from MobileRead• Quality Checking – Adobe Digital Editions – EpubCheck – Kindle Direct: Gen & Previewer
18. Distribution• Amazon Direct- 65% or 30% of price• PubIt! (Barnes and Noble) -65% or 40% of price• iBooks- 30% of price• Aggregators – Smashwords, Lulu, Ingram, LibreDigital
19. Used under CC from http://www.flickr.com/photos/kesta/2639982875, last accessed 10/22/10
20. Rental/ DRM/ Cross-Platform• Retail price: purchase or a rental? – Purchase? Can I use it across any device? – No? Then it’s a rental.• All devices promote DRM to manage device libraries.• Richard Stallman- Danger of Ebooks•
22. From the poem Un coup de dés jamais nábolira le hasard, poème
23. The Other Elephant• “Non-traditional” books (on-demand titles produced by reprint houses specializing in public domain works and by presses catering to self- publishers and ”micro-niche” publications) are estimated at 2,776,260 titles for 2010.• This number is a 169% increase over 2009-- which nearly tripled 2008’s output (Bowker).
24. Resources• Twitter: #eprdctn• Liz Castro – EPUB Straight to the Point – Pigs, Gourds, & Wikis• Mobile Reads Forum• IDPF• DefectivebyDesign.org