SPECIAL FEATURES & REALITIES OF RURAL COMMUNICATION
RURAL AREAWhere the people are engaged in primaryindustry in the sense that they producethings directly for the first time incooperation with nature.
Rural areas are separately settled places awayfrom the influence of large cities and towns.Such areas are distinct from more intensivelysettled urban and sub-urban areas, and alsofrom unsettled lands or wilderness, such asforest.Rural areas can have an agriculturalcharacter, though many rural areas arecharacterized by an economy based on cottageindustry, mining, oil and gas exploration, ortourism.
RURAL COMMUNITYA group of people with a common characteristicor interest living together, in a village.A Rural Community can be classified as ruralbased on the criteria of lower populationdensity, less social differentiation, less social andspatial mobility, slow rate of social change, etc.Agriculture is the major occupation of ruralpeople.
MAIN FEATURES OF RURAL COMMUNITYVillage is an institution-The Village is a primary institution. The development ofvillages is influenced considerably by the life of the village.It satisfies almost all the needs of the rural.Community-They have a sense of unity and a feeling of belongingnesstowards each other.Religion-Faith in religion and universal power is found in the life of thevillages.Agriculture-Main occupation is agriculture which involves dependence onnature. Nature gives the livelihood to them. Farmers worshipforces of nature.
Lifestyles in rural areas are different thanthose in urban areas, mainly because limitedservices are available.Governmental services like lawenforcement, schools, fire departments, andlibraries may be distant, limited in scope, orunavailable.Utilities like water, sewer, streetlighting, and garbage collection may not bepresent.Public transport is sometimes absent orvery limited, people use their ownvehicles, walk or ride an animal.
Rural development is a strategy designed toimprove the economic and social life of ruralpoor.It is a process, which aims at improving thewell being and self realization of people livingoutside the urbanized areas through collectiveprocess.Rural Development is all about bringingchange among rural community from thetraditional way of living to progressiveway of living. It is also expressed as amovement for progress.
The United Nations defines Rural Development as:“Rural Development is a process ofchange, by which the efforts of the peoplethemselves are united, those of governmentauthorities to improve their economic, socialand cultural conditions of communities in tothe life of the nation and to enable them tocontribute fully to national programme.”
DEV. IN RURAL AREA CAN BRING INFA- STRUCTURE TECHNO ECONOMY LOGY EDUCATION HEALTH
OBJECTIVES OF RURAL DEV.1. To develop farm, home, public service andvillage community.2. To bring improvement in producing of cropsand animals living condition.3. To improve health and education condition etc.improvement of the rural people.4. To improve villagers with their own efforts.5. To improve village communication.
Main Objectives To buildInfrastructure Public Service Communication To improve Health Education Living condition To generate Economical Employment Farm & storage activities
PROBLEMS IN RURAL DEVELOPMENT1. People related2. Agricultural related problems3. Infrastructure related problems4. Economic problems5. Social and Cultural problems6. Leadership related problems7. Administrative problems
1. Traditional way of thinking.2. Poor understanding.3. Low level of education to understanddevelopmental efforts and new technology.4. Deprived psychology and scientific orientation.5. Lack of confidence.6. Poor awareness.7. Low level of education.8. Existence of unfelt needs.9. Personal ego.
1. Lack of expected awareness, knowledge, skilland attitude.2. Unavailability of inputs.3. Poor marketing facility.4. Insufficient extension staff and services.5. Multidimensional tasks to extension personnel.6. Small size of land holding.7. Division of land.8. Unwillingness to work and stay in rural areas.
INFASTRUCTRAL RELATED PROB.Poor infrastructure facilities like-:1. Water2. Electricity3. Transport4. Educational institutions5. Communication6. Health7. Employment8. Storage facility etc.
ECONOMIC PROBLEMS1. Unfavourable economic condition toadopt high cost technology.2. High cost of inputs.3. Under privileged rural industries
LEADERSHIP RELATED PROBLEM1. Leadership among the handsof inactive and incompetent people.2. Self interest of leaders.3. Biased political will
ADMINISTRATIVE PROBLEMS1. Political interference.2. Lack of motivation and interest.3. Unwillingness to work in villages.4. Improper utilization of budget.5. No proper monitoring of programs. and lack in their implementation.
Importance of Rural DevelopmentRural development is a dynamicprocess, which is mainly concerned with therural areas. These include-Agricultural growth, putting up of economic andsocial infrastructure, fair wages as also housingand house sites for the landless, villageplanning, public health, education andfunctional literacy, communication etc.Rural development is a national necessity andhas considerable importance in India
Rural development is needed because-:1. To develop rural area as whole in terms ofculture, society, economy, technology and health.2. To develop living slandered of rural mass.3. To develop rural youths, children and women.4. To develop and empower human resource of ruralarea in terms of theirpsychology, skill, knowledge, attitude and otherabilities.5. To solve the problems faced by the rural mass fortheir development.
6. To develop infrastructure facility of rural area.7. To provide minimum facility to rural mass interms of drinkingwater, education, transport, electricity andcommunication.8. To develop rural institutions likePanchayat, cooperatives, post, banking and credit.9. To develop rural industries through thedevelopment of handicrafts, small scaledindustries, village industries, rural crafts, cottageindustries and other related economic operations inthe rural sector.10. To develop agriculture, animal husbandry andother agricultural related areas.
11. To restore uncultivated land, provide irrigationfacilities and motivate farmers to adopt improvedseed, fertilizers, package of practices of cropcultivation and soil conservation methods.12. To develop entertainment and recreationalfacility for rural mass.13. To develop leadership quality of rural area.14. To improve rural marketing facility.15. To minimise gap between the urban and rural interms of facilities availed.
16. To improve rural people’s participation in thedevelopment of state and nation as whole.17. To improve scopes of employment for ruralmass.18. For the sustainable development of ruralarea.19. To eliminate rural poverty.20. To empower them.
TOPIC DISCUSSED1. RURAL AREA2. RURAL COMMUNITY & ITS MAIN FEATURES3. LIFE OF RURAL PEOPLE4. RURAL DEVELOPMENT5. OBJECTIVES OF RURAL DEVELOPMENT6. VARIOUS PROBLESMS IN RURAL DEVELOPMENT(PEOPLE, AGRICULTURE, INFASTRUCTURE, ECONOMIC, LEADERSHIP & ADMINISTRATION RELATEDPROBLEMS).7. SCOPE & IMPORTANCE OF RURAL DEVELOPMENT.