OTEN RPL Information


Published on

Published in: Business, Technology
1 Like
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

OTEN RPL Information

  1. 1. Applying for Recognition with OTEN Version 1.6 August 2008
  2. 2. What is Recognition? <ul><li>Recognition is the formal assessment of s kills and experience you have gained from: </li></ul><ul><li>school and post-school formal and informal training </li></ul><ul><li>employment & volunteer work in Australia or overseas </li></ul><ul><li>work & life experience </li></ul><ul><li>other qualifications from Australia and overseas </li></ul><ul><li>on-the-job training </li></ul>
  3. 3. The benefits of seeking Recognition <ul><li> Gaining up to 100% of Recognition of your qualification </li></ul><ul><li> Gaining entry requirements for higher qualifications </li></ul><ul><li>Gaining new qualifications of equivalent value </li></ul><ul><li> Completing your qualification faster* </li></ul><ul><li>* Depending on the type of course you are enrolled in, completing within a shortened timeframe may mean paying for fewer semesters . </li></ul>The main advantages of applying for Recognition are:
  4. 4. Types of Recognition <ul><li>There are 5 types of Recognition in TAFE NSW: </li></ul><ul><li>Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) </li></ul><ul><li>TAFE NSW Credit Transfer </li></ul><ul><li>Pre-arranged RPL </li></ul><ul><li>National Recognition </li></ul><ul><li>Recognition of Current Competency </li></ul><ul><li>(See the Glossary at the end of this Presentation for definitions of these terms) </li></ul>
  5. 5. What you can apply for, and what it may cost <ul><li>What you can apply for: </li></ul><ul><li>Single units of competency </li></ul><ul><li>Groups of units of competency </li></ul><ul><li>Up to 100% of a qualification </li></ul>What it will cost: If you are already enrolled in the qualification you are seeking, there may be no charge for Recognition. Non-enrolled applicants may apply for Recognition via a Commercial Recognition Service . A fee applies for this service (determined on a case by case basis and in accordance with the TAFE NSW Commercial Recognition Policy ). Enterprises or individuals requiring a customised service may access the Commercial Recognition Service.
  6. 6. Things you can do before you apply for Recognition <ul><li>Complete a self assessment using Prove It (available for some qualifications only) </li></ul><ul><li>Or </li></ul><ul><li>Access your course/qualification information through the OTEN website - Search Course feature </li></ul><ul><li>Browse the list of PINK forms for the units of competency you wish to apply for, and follow the instructions </li></ul><ul><li>List the elements of units of competency for which you can provide evidence </li></ul><ul><li>If you need help: </li></ul><ul><li>Discuss your application with a teacher or OTEN counsellor </li></ul>
  7. 7. A sample self-assessment checklist <ul><li>If you can answer ‘yes’ to any of the questions in the table below, you may be eligible to receive Recognition for one or more units of competency in your qualification. </li></ul>Have you worked or volunteered in an Industry related to your qualification? Yes No Have you completed any previous study in TAFE, University or other registered training organisation in Australia or overseas? Yes No Do you have Indentures, trade papers or Industry awards relevant to your planned study? Yes No Do you have skills and knowledge related to the competency / competencies you are enrolled in? Yes No Have you completed the HSC or any vocational subjects (eg TVET) at high school? Yes No
  8. 8. Important things to consider before submitting your application for Recognition <ul><li>Recognition may affect: </li></ul><ul><li>Your outcome in a graded course or qualification </li></ul><ul><li>The Centrelink payment you receive to study </li></ul><ul><li>Your eligibility for a refund or Course to Course transfer </li></ul><ul><li>Your study visa status if you are an International student </li></ul><ul><li>* If you are unsure, please speak to a teacher, OTEN Recognition Officer, Multicultural Education Officer, OTEN International Consultant or Centrelink </li></ul>
  9. 9. Putting together the evidence of your skills, knowledge and experience <ul><li>Evidence: </li></ul><ul><li>Gather evidence to show current, equivalent and relevant skills / knowledge to support your claim </li></ul><ul><li>Supply certified* copies of relevant documents , including : certificates, transcripts of academic record, course outlines, testamurs and statutory declarations from employers </li></ul><ul><li>Attach all the evidence you have gathered for each unit of competency to its relevant ‘ Recognition for Unit of Competency ’ (PINK) form. You only need to print a PINK form for the unit of competency / groups of units of competency you are making application for.  </li></ul><ul><li>Complete an ‘ Enrolment Adjustment – Recognition’ (PURPLE) form listing each unit of competency for which you seek Recognition and attach it to on top of your application as a cover sheet. </li></ul><ul><li>* Certified means you need to have your original documents sighted and a copy signed by a teacher or Course Information Officer at OTEN or another TAFE NSW staff member, or by a Justice of the Peace (JP) or any Officer of the Court. The original signed copy must be provided to the person certifying your copies. If you have changed your name, provide certified change of name document, eg Marriage Certificate. </li></ul>
  10. 10. Evidence of skills, knowledge and experience: examples of what is meant by ‘evidence’ <ul><li>Previous study: </li></ul><ul><li>courses completed at work </li></ul><ul><li>statements of results </li></ul><ul><li>certificates </li></ul><ul><li>degrees </li></ul><ul><li>diplomas </li></ul><ul><li>Documents </li></ul><ul><li>You can collect documents such as: </li></ul><ul><li>job descriptions </li></ul><ul><li>resume / work history </li></ul><ul><li>relevant newspaper articles, </li></ul><ul><li>books etc </li></ul><ul><li>photos </li></ul><ul><li>Letters of evidence from </li></ul><ul><li>employers </li></ul><ul><li>people you have worked with (paid and unpaid work) </li></ul><ul><li>community groups you have been involved with </li></ul><ul><li>clients you have completed work for </li></ul><ul><li>Records of workplace activities </li></ul><ul><li>Notes or reports on activities you have been involved: </li></ul><ul><li>worksheets </li></ul><ul><li>meetings </li></ul><ul><li>committees </li></ul><ul><li>presentations </li></ul>
  11. 11. Evidence of skills, knowledge and experience: examples of what is meant by ‘evidence’ (Cont.) <ul><li>Skills Test / role play </li></ul><ul><li>complete a skills test </li></ul><ul><li>complete a task in a simulated role play </li></ul><ul><li>complete an assessment for the competency </li></ul><ul><li>Portfolio </li></ul><ul><li>samples of relevant information of any work you may have been involved in: </li></ul><ul><li>drawings & photographs </li></ul><ul><li>articles & reports </li></ul><ul><li>pod casts & videos </li></ul><ul><li>Interview / workplace assessment </li></ul><ul><li>interview by a TAFE teacher about your knowledge and experiences </li></ul><ul><li>TAFE teacher to assess competency at your workplace </li></ul><ul><li>Email evidence / Telephone communications that highlight: </li></ul><ul><li>assistance you have provided </li></ul><ul><li>work activities </li></ul><ul><li>* ask someone you work with if they could be contacted by phone to confirm your skills </li></ul><ul><li>** your employer may agree to help you verify some of your evidence or documentation </li></ul><ul><li>Use a diary or journal to record what you do: </li></ul><ul><li>at home </li></ul><ul><li>in paid and unpaid work </li></ul><ul><li>in your spare time </li></ul>
  12. 12. How your application for Recognition is assessed <ul><li>A qualified teacher will assess your application based only on the evidence you have submitted (which could include a demonstration of your skills and knowledge). </li></ul><ul><li>The assessment should be completed within three (3) weeks (contact a teacher or the OTEN Recognition Officer if you do not hear anything within 3 weeks). </li></ul><ul><li>You may appeal a Recognition outcome but must do so within three (3) weeks of you being notified. </li></ul>
  13. 13. Applying for Recognition at OTEN: the Forms <ul><li>Now you’re ready to apply for Recognition: </li></ul><ul><li>‘ Recognition for Unit of Competency’ ( PINK ) forms can be found by searching the course/qualification drop-down menu listing under the Find a course or qualification section on the Home page of the OTEN website </li></ul><ul><li>Or </li></ul><ul><li>Type in the qualification name or number into the Search Courses box and click Find . </li></ul>Enter your search criteria in the box - then click on FIND
  14. 14. Applying for Recognition at OTEN: the Forms (Cont’d) <ul><li>On the OTEN Website, click on the qualification you are seeking Recognition in. </li></ul>Click on the qualification / course number
  15. 15. Applying for Recognition at OTEN: the Forms (Cont’d) <ul><li>Click on the unit of competency numbers to access the PINK forms you require . </li></ul>Scroll Down Click on the link to access the Enrolment Adjustment – Recognition ( Purple) form
  16. 16. Applying for Recognition at OTEN: Pink form These are the elements that make up the unit of competency These are the Performance Criteria that make up the elements of the unit of competency
  17. 17. Applying for Recognition at OTEN: the Forms (Cont’d) <ul><li>Complete the specific PINK form for each unit of competency you wish to apply for. </li></ul><ul><li>You can complete these forms on screen before printing them, but you will not be able to save the information you have entered. It is advisable to retain an extra copy for your records </li></ul><ul><li>Sign all documentation and attach certified copies of as much relevant supporting evidence as possible </li></ul><ul><li>You only need to print a PINK form for the unit of competency / groups of units of competency you are making application for.  If you believe the evidence you are providing applies to more than one unit of competency (i.e. a group of units of competency), clip the relevant PINK forms together and attach just one copy of your evidence </li></ul><ul><li>No matter how many PINK forms you submit for your application for Recognition, a PURPLE form must be completed and attached as a cover sheet </li></ul>
  18. 18. Applying for Recognition at OTEN: Purple form In this section, list all the units of competency (PINK form) applications you are submitting. <ul><li>Complete the ‘ Enrolment Adjustment – Recognition ’   (PURPLE) form and place it on top of your application as a cover sheet. </li></ul><ul><li>Submit your application by post or in person </li></ul><ul><li>Please note: these forms do not need to be printed in colour </li></ul>Tick this box to apply for Credit Transfer
  19. 19. Applying for Recognition at OTEN: Credit Transfer <ul><li>To apply for a TAFE NSW Credit Transfer : </li></ul><ul><li>Speak to a teacher about the relevance of your previous qualifications </li></ul><ul><li>Provide the teacher with details of your previous TAFE NSW study </li></ul><ul><li>Apply for Recognition by ticking the appropriate box on your OTEN Enrolment Application Form </li></ul><ul><li>or </li></ul><ul><li>Submit a completed ‘ Enrolment Adjustment – Recognition (RPL)’ [PURPLE] form with ‘request Credit Transfer’ ticked. (please refer to the previous slide) </li></ul>
  20. 20. Applying for Recognition at OTEN: Pre-arranged RPL To apply for Pre-arranged Recognition of Prior Learning (for qualifications gained from RTOs other than TAFE): <ul><ul><li>Speak to a teacher about the relevance of your previous qualifications </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Attach certified copies of transcripts/testamurs of your previous qualifications </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Complete an ‘ Enrolment Adjustment – Recognition (RPL)’ [Purple] form </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>A qualified teacher will then assess your application </li></ul></ul>
  21. 21. Some typical situations and how to respond <ul><li>1) You have experience but no qualifications </li></ul><ul><li>Speak to a teacher about an appropriate assessment </li></ul><ul><li>Arrange for an assessment of your knowledge and skills. </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Example 1 : If you were studying for a Certificate IV in Training & Assessment , and you had done previous training work, you would have a good case to apply for Recognition to reduce your study time. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Example 2: If you work on a building site, you would probably need a qualified assessor to watch you at work as well as getting a report from your supervisor. The assessor might also ask you questions about your work. </li></ul></ul><ul><li>2) You have completed some other kinds of training </li></ul><ul><li>You must still be assessed </li></ul><ul><li>The assessor will assess your previous training for equivalences </li></ul><ul><li>3) You can’t access or provide proof of your training and experience </li></ul><ul><li>Arrange for an assessment of your knowledge and skills. </li></ul>
  22. 22. Some typical situations and how to respond (Cont’d) <ul><li>4) You want to complete a course you started years ago. To do so, consider: </li></ul><ul><li>Talking to a teacher or counsellor about your options </li></ul><ul><li>Re-enrolling in the same course / qualification and finishing the remaining modules or units you need to complete, if the course / qualification is still available </li></ul><ul><li>Enrolling in a current version of the course / qualification and applying for Recognition in equivalent modules or units of competency </li></ul><ul><li>Gap training - allows your partial skills and experience to be recognised and provides training and assessment to meet the gaps </li></ul>
  23. 23. Overseas qualifications, training and assessment for Recognition and/or employment <ul><li>For more information contact the International Training Consultant, OTEN Multicultural Education Coordinator, OTEN Recognition Officer, or a Teacher </li></ul><ul><li>Qualifications gained Overseas may be recognised by TAFE NSW </li></ul><ul><li>You may qualify for credit for up to 100% of a TAFE NSW course/qualification </li></ul><ul><li>There may be implications for the status of your visa (speak to the Multicultural Education Coordinator) </li></ul><ul><li>The evidence you are supplying must be in English </li></ul><ul><li>Certified translated documents are required </li></ul>
  24. 24. How Units of Competency gained through Recognition are shown on a TAFE transcript Category of Recognition Reported on student’s Transcript of Academic Record as: 1) National Recognition BY ADVANCED STANDING (no result) 2) Pre-arranged RPL BY ADVANCED STANDING (no result) 3) Recognition of Current Competency (RCC) RCC Granted COMPETENT (no result) RCC Not Granted NOT COMPETENT (no result) 4) Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)   RPL Granted BY ADVANCED STANDING (no result) RPL Not Granted Not reported on the student’s record 5) TAFE NSW Credit Transfer   Credit BY RESULT TRANSFER Equivalent BY RESULT TRANSFER TAFE Exemption BY ADVANCED STANDING (no result)
  25. 25. Further assistance and advice <ul><li>Recognition of Overseas Qualifications </li></ul><ul><li>OTEN Multicultural Education and Support Unit </li></ul><ul><li>Ph: + 61 2 9715 8676 or 1800 637 53 </li></ul><ul><li>Email: [email_address] </li></ul><ul><li>For International Students only </li></ul><ul><li>OTEN International Consultant </li></ul><ul><li>Phone: + 61 2 9715 8335 </li></ul><ul><li>Email: [email_address] </li></ul>To check on the progress of your Recognition application, contact the OTEN Recognition Helpdesk, a teacher, counsellor or the OTEN International Consultant Recognition of Australian Qualifications OTEN Recognition Help Desk Phone: 1300 362 165 or (02) 9715 8486 Email: [email_address] OTEN Counselling and Careers Service Phone: 1300 655 933 or 02 9715 8446 Email: [email_address]
  26. 26. Glossary of terms for Recognition <ul><li>Advanced standing : Recognition granted through TAFE NSW Credit Transfer, Pre-arranged RPL, National Recognition or any RPL activity within TAFE NSW </li></ul><ul><li>Assessment : Assessment is a process in which you gather evidence to show an assessor that you are competent. Assessors can help you work out the kind of evidence to gather. </li></ul><ul><li>Competence : Competence is a mix of knowledge, technical skills, understanding, problem solving and attitudes that you need to be successful at work. Employers have worked with all Australian governments to decide the competencies needed in their industry. Your competence will be measured by an ‘assessor’ in an RTO. The assessor will assess you against relevant units of competency. </li></ul><ul><li>Commercial Recognition Non-enrolled applicants may apply for Recognition via a Commercial Recognition Service. A fee applies for this service (determined on a case by case basis and in accordance with the TAFE NSW Commercial Recognition Policy). Enterprises or individuals requiring a customised service may access the Commercial Recognition Service. </li></ul>NEXT SLIDE
  27. 27. Glossary of terms for Recognition (Cont’d) <ul><li>Credit Transfer: is the recognition of learning previously undertaken in TAFE NSW where the same or equivalent unit of competency has been successfully completed </li></ul><ul><li>Elements: Each unit of competency is made up of elements which describe the key activities of the unit </li></ul><ul><li>Evidence: A collection of information presented to show that or demonstrate an individual has a particular level of skill and knowledge or has achieved specific competencies. Evidence can be in many forms and may be collected from a number of sources </li></ul><ul><li>Gap Training: This allows your partial skills and experience to be acknowledged and provides training and assessment to meet the gaps </li></ul><ul><li>Graded qualification: This means that when you complete the course, your testamur will show your level of achievement - PASS, CREDIT or DISTINCTION </li></ul>NEXT SLIDE
  28. 28. Glossary of terms for Recognition (Cont’d) <ul><li>Nationally recognised qualification: A formal certification that is recognised nationally and awarded under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) for the achievement of competencies </li></ul><ul><li>Pre-arranged RPL means there are arrangements between TAFE NSW and other training providers such as universities, schools and Adult Community Education colleges (ACE) </li></ul><ul><li>Performance criteria: Each element has performance criteria which specify the standards of performance expected for that element </li></ul><ul><li>Recognition: A broad term that covers a range of services that recognise an individual’s current skills and knowledge acquired through previous education and/or training, work or life experience </li></ul><ul><li>Recognition of Current Competency (RCC) : Applies where a student has previously successfully completed the requirements for a unit and is now required to be reassessed to ensure that the competency is being maintained. </li></ul>NEXT SLIDE
  29. 29. Glossary of terms for Recognition (Cont’d) <ul><li>Registered Training Organisation (RTO) An RTO is an organisation registered nationally to issue nationally recognised qualifications or statements of attainment for units of competency from training packages or accredited courses. This is the organisation that offers you Recognition and assists you through the process. There are a variety of RTOs you can choose from, some may specialise in your industry area. RTOs consist of Private Providers (who vary in size), Community Colleges, Enterprise RTOs, TAFE and some universities </li></ul><ul><li>RPL : Recognition of Prior Learning. The recognition of competencies currently held, regardless of how, when or where the learning occurred </li></ul><ul><li>Recognition of Credit Transfer (ROCT): Formerly known as Retrospective Credit Transfer . ROCT enables a student to gain a qualification by credit transfer only for a special reduced fee rather than the enrolment fee. Conditions apply. </li></ul><ul><li>Statement of Attainment : This is a statement to say you have part of a qualification. You may not need a whole qualification, depending on your job, so a statement of attainment may be more relevant to you. Statements of attainment recognise that you have achieved certain ‘units of competency’. </li></ul>NEXT SLIDE
  30. 30. Glossary of terms for Recognition (Cont’d) <ul><li>Transcript of Academic Record: This is the name of the official TAFE NSW document that lists your results in each Unit of a Course </li></ul><ul><li>Unit (of competency) : This describes the standard of performance expected by industry for certain work functions e.g. driving a forklift, operating a bar or communicating in the workplace. Qualification are made up of units of competency </li></ul>