Physical Properties Any characteristic that can be observed or measured without changing the substances composition
Physical Properties Include
- A measure of a liquids resistance to flow.
- The ability of a material that allows heat or electricity to flow through it
- The ability of a metal to bend and not break.
Melting and boiling points
- Melting point is the temperature where a solid becomes a liquid
- Boiling point is the temperature where a liquid becomes a gas
- Density is the ratio of the mass of a substance to its volume.
- Density can be used to identify substances-
- The density of a pure substance always remains the same
Using Physical Properties
- Decide properties to test
- Compare results with known data
- Properties determine which materials are chosen for specific uses
- Filtration and Distillation
- Filtration separates particles by size
- Distillation separates solutions based on boiling points
- Properties change but the substance remains the same
- Changing from a liquid to a gas