• Harvard professor Allen Grossman defines
entrepreneurship as "an activity or behavior"
that involves "the pursuit of opportunity
regardless of the resources you currently
• Why focus on just making profits?
• When you can make a living and make a
• Dual goals may sound more
challenging, however, who said that starting a
business would be easy?
Do what you enjoy
• "Don't think : I'm going to be rich. You put
your heart in it and just keep going!"
• Know that little by little, no matter what you
are doing, there is progress and it will propel
you towards your goal.
• When you love what you do, you are not
working, you are having fun.
Find your place in the world
• Entrepreneurs look at a problem and find a
solution. Knowing that is your purpose pushes
• "Business doesn't have to be harmful to the
community or the environment to succeed.
The new model for this century is to profit
with a clear social purpose that benefits all
• Doing good while doing well
Test, evaluate, implement
• Well-articulated vision is more valuable to an
entrepreneur than a great business plan.
• Best content for a business plan is real-world
data based on testing aspects of the concept.
• Adapt and learn
• "Lean StartUp" – Steve Blank & Eric Ries
Why start from Zero?
• Strategic partnerships between like-minded
companies can help early stage businesses
• "One of the biggest mistakes business owners
make is trying to do everything alone."
• One of the most innovative and productive
examples of sharing resources are co-working
Sustainability required funding
• If you don't produce revenues, you're not in
• Echoing Green, Acumen
Fund, Ashoka, Skoll, BALLE, and Gates
Foundations are just a few of the
organizations offering fellowship grants to
• Crowdfunding platforms like
IndieGoGo, Kickstarter, and RocketHub offer
modified solutions for raising capital.
The 5 P's of Entrepreneurship
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.