2. We hate to admit it, but sometimes we love rules.
Rules allow order.
Rules provide us with precedent.
Rules tell us what to do.
3. But yesterday’s rules don’t always work today.
Especially in a time of CRISIS.
4. Brands lost in today’s crumbling marketplace
need more than rules to thrive.
5. In fact, they could learn something...
6. ...from airline pilots.
7. Pilots are subject to hundreds of FAA regulations.
9. “In an in-ﬂight emergency requiring immediate
action, the pilot in command may deviate from
any rule of this part to the extent required to
meet the emergency.”
FAA Regulation Manual
10. IN THE AIR
11. Like pilots, digital marketers should focus on
VALUES, rather than rules.
12. But what values should shape our thinking in the
13. Because this doesn’t work:
ADVERTISING = HEY YOU + BUY SOMETHING
They all change
15. But values are CONSTANT.
16. “It’s not about technology, it’s about people...The
minute you fall in love with any given technology,
it’s outdated. It’s like the philandering girlfriend.
Technology is not going to stay faithful to you.”
Chris Sandoval / via Brains on Fire
17. SO WHAT SHOULD WE
25. Values outlast trends, crises & shifting economies.
Values make for unforgettable stories.
Values provide clarity for answering “what’s next?”
26. Because there will always be a new lineup of
rules for tomorrow...
27. ...and hopefully, the RIGHT VALUES to break them.
Say hi sometime:
DIRECTOR OF CLIENT STRATEGY / 14FOUR
@RMOEDE / SOCIALMEDIAWORX.COM / 14FOUR.COM