Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
Bc1001   Copyright, Royalties & Permissions
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

Saving this for later? Get the SlideShare app to save on your phone or tablet. Read anywhere, anytime – even offline.
Text the download link to your phone
Standard text messaging rates apply

Bc1001 Copyright, Royalties & Permissions


Published on

Presentation on Copyright

Presentation on Copyright

  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total Views
On Slideshare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

No notes for slide


  • 1. Copyright, Royalties & Permissions For Music to be used on a DVD to be sold in UK Shops
  • 2. Organisations to deal with
    • 1) MCPS-PRS Alliance
    • Mechanical Copyright Protection Society
    • Performing Right Society
    • The MCPS Represent the OWNERS of a piece of Music (including Lyrics) i.e. the Songwriter(s) or Composer(s)
    • This Music is usually Licensed or Administered by a Music Publisher.
    • The PRS is responsible for collecting & distributing Performance Royalties
  • 3. Organisations to deal with
    • 2) The OWNER of the Sound Recording
    • This would usually be a Record Company – who holds a Contract with the Artist on the Recording, or the Artist itself.
    • These Companies are not Represented by the MCPS-PRS they represent themselves.
    • (The MCPS-PRS was established to look after the interests of Songwriters & Composers.)
  • 4. Another thing to consider
    • A Distribution Deal would have to be negotiated to have the DVD Stocked in UK Shops……
  • 5. Licensing Music
    • Contact the owner of the Sound Recording for Permission to use the Recording – issued in the form of a Licence.
    • Apply for an MCPS Licence – the MCPS Licence is conditional on the above Licence being granted.
    • If you are using Original or Non-Commercial Music, or Music that is not Fully Controlled by MCPS a Licence must still be Applied for and Validated
  • 6. Basic Royalty Rate
    • The MCPS has set a DVD-Video royalty rate of 10% of Published Price to Dealer (PPD).
    • MCPS Charges ;
    • Charges for the use of Commercial music in feature films are negotiable. They are generally set in relation to the budget of the film.
    • Charges for a film primarily for festival exhibition or for a student film are usually based on affordability.
  • 7. How to Reduce Costs
    • 1) Record your own version of a Song or piece of Music and apply for a Licence to use it based upon a Student Film Project with Low Budget. (Preferably one that is in the Public Domain..)
    • 2) Use Royalty-Free Music that is available online (usually a one-off Licensing fee that covers all usage)
    • 3) Compose and Licence your own Music (then you’ll Trouser a few quid in Royalties if the DVD is a big seller !!)
    • 4) Ask the University Music Department to collaborate on the Project
  • 8. What would I do ?
    • Factors to be considered would be ;
    • Budget, Timescale, Type of Music Required to fit the Scene (Incidental, Background, Love Song etc, Classical)
  • 9. So I would…
    • Commission the Music Department at the University to Collaborate on the required Music and use it as an opportunity to raise the Profile of the University as a whole – this would substantially save money and benefit all Departments involved.