YEAR 8 GEOGRAPHY ASSIGNMENT
DRAWING A MAP OF “MY DREAM ISLAND”
Maps are the most common tool used by geographers to show the spatial
distribution and features of physical and human environments.
A map is a drawing of part of the earth’s surface viewed from above the
The ability to draw a map well is a skill that you can develop. As part of your
coursework in geography you need to draw a map of your “Dream Island.”
Some hints to assist you in this assignment and any map drawing activity:
1. Sketch a draft in your notebook.
2. Draw a border to frame your map.
3. Work in pencil and begin with a map outline.
4. Draw in main or more obvious features initially, then, gradually add the
5. Print neatly and clearly on your map. Print horizontally on the map
6. Always use pencils on a map do not use pen or texta colours (felt tips).
7. Use colour to show the features that stand out. Use appropriate colours
to match the features where possible (for example, green for a forest or
trees). Do not overuse colour.
8. Make sure you include all the essential elements of a map, including
• A border (B)
• Orientation or a North point (O)
• A legend or key (L)
• A title (T)
• A scale (S). You are required to have a matching linear and ratio scale.
You will be assessed on how creative your map is, what symbols you have
used, neatness, accuracy (particularly of scale) and the inclusion of BOLTS.
Due date: _______________________