1. Multi User VCDelivering to larger class sizes usingvideo conferencing
2. Some Ideas• Need to establish a strong sense of communityfrom the outset• Use the VLE to enhance the learning experienceand supplement the VC• Encourage students to get to know one anotherin a social context as well as educationally• This can be done by using discussion boards inBlackboard – set up a cyber café for social contact
3. • Encourage students to upload a photograph orvideo clip to introduce themselves to the group• That way you might not need to use so much ofthe VC time for introductions• Use Blogs, Discussion Boards, perhaps use ChatRooms or Blackboard Collaborate• Ensure your students are aware you are thereto support them both during the VC and outwith• Establish rules for where, when and how theycan contact you outside of the VC – eg by e-mail, on VLE, by telephone if urgent
4. • Where possible, avoid giving lengthy lectureswhere its all input from you• Break up into smaller bite sized learningchunks• Consider uploading your notes andlectures, powerpoint slides onto the VLE sostudents can access in advance of the VC• That way, you can use the VC time moreeffectively for deeperexplanations, discussions, solvingproblems, group activities
5. • Manage the VC carefully to ensure everyone hasthe opportunity to contribute.• Avoid allowing one or 2 very confident and vocalindividuals to dominate discussions (as oftenhappens) – encourage the ‘little voice’• Ensure all students are given an equitableexperience – don’t show favour to the studentswho are sitting in front of you• Try to encourage the quieter students or groupsby targeting questions• Encourage everyone by finding somethingpositive to say about all contributions
6. • Make learning fun• Inject humour into your delivery –don’t beafraid of showing you’re human – sharesomething funny• Use group activities and games to inject asense of fun and competition• Use teaching methodologies such as Co-operative Learning, Critical Skills Training, FishPhilosophy to improve motivation• Use group work to enhance the sense ofcommunity
7. • Flip the Classroom –• Encourage the students to make grouppresentations within the VC from time to time• Encourage students to access further resourcesby use of mobile learning such as• I-Phones, I- Pads• Encourage students to use relevant Apps – egAudionote, Podcasts, ShowMe• Consider using QR Codes to enhance learning –send students a QR code which will take themto your notes, lead them to relevant web sites
8. Above All• Try to establish an enjoyable, inclusive,engaging, supportive fun learning environmentthat students really look forward toparticipating in• Over to you• Any comments, thoughts, further suggestions.