1. Kurzweil 3000 JoAnn Rizzo Duquesne University Master of Science in Instructional Technology Training Module Spring 2002
2. This program can read any scanned document or other electronic file on your computer or the Internet, using synthetic speech.
3. Assistive Technology Lab This lab provides Internet access , word processing, Braille printing and document scanning capabilities for the visually impaired and learning disabled. Software Packages Translates text computer files into Braille Duxberry Translation Reads documents/scan Kurzweil 3000 Reads documents/scan Kurzweil 1000 Enlarges text & graphics MAGic Reads Web pages JAWS
4. Lab Layout There are seven computers in the lab. The lab also has two scanners, one laser jet printer, and a Braille printer.* In order to access any program in the lab you will be asked to press these buttons on the keyboard. Ctrl Alt Delete *All machines are kept on in the lab, you should never have to power up a machine.
5. Equipment The Assistive Technology lab is loaded with Kurzweil 3000 on all of the machines. There are also two scanners, which are used for scanning documents which will create a digital version of a paper document.
6. What Kurzweil 3000 looks like
7. Objectives Via the use of this training module and the hands on trainings session the staff member will feel more comfortable and confident in assisting patrons in the Assistive Technology Lab. The training module is to be used as a resource tool, which can be referred back to at any time and will aid in providing one with the basic knowledge of commands in Kurzweil 3000.
8. Basic Tasks to be Explored Typing a document Changing the reading speed Changing the reading voice Looking up definitions Reading the Web Magnifying text Saving files Scanning
9. Logging on to Program You will be asked to to enter a username and password . There are different usernames for different programs so make sure that you are entering the correct one. The usernames are written on signs posted on the walls of the lab.The Username for Kurzweil 3000 is lckurz3000 . The password ada123 is used for all of the programs. ada123 Password lckurz3000 Username
10. How to Log on as a Demo User The first time you log into this program, you might want to sign on under the Demo User account. This account has a number of useful sample documents.
11. How to Log a User On First double click on the Kurzweil 3000 icon. A welcome dialog box appears. In the User Name box type in your name and click yes. You are creating a user account.
12. Opening Screen Don’t be startled, a Tip of the Day always pops up when the program is opened. You get rid of it by clicking the Close button.
13. Toolbars Menu Bar Main Toolbar The main toolbar lets you perform common scanning, reading, and file management tasks. To activate a button, click it. Note that some buttons change when you click them. Audible Silent Read Pause Scan Cancel
14. More Toolbars Reading Toolbar Study Skills Toolbar Use this toolbar to chose the Reading Mode, Reading Unit, Reading Speed, Zoom Level, and Page. This toolbar helps with independent study skills i.e. erasing, highlighting, inserting notes, and creating bookmarks.
15. A Closer Look at the Menu bar Since Kurzweil 3000 runs on the Microsoft Windows system the menu bar functions the same way as it does in other Microsoft programs, i.e. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. I like to compare the menu bar to the menu that you receive at a restaurant, it lists all of your options.I call it command central since every tool and option is at your disposal. We will look at a few of the most used commands generated from the menu bar.
16. File In the file section you can manage your files. whether you are creating a new text file, opening a previously used file, or saving a document from the Web. It is very important to remember that Kurzweil 3000 is a program that reads characters therefore images and graphics cannot be read.
17. Open When you open a file a dialog box opens up. Use the buttons and text boxes to select the file to open. Use the Look in box to get to the directory that you want. Choose a file by double clicking on the file name or by highlighting it and clicking Open . Use the Files of type list to specify the kinds of files you want to see.
18. Save When you click save as a dialog box will appear. Use the text boxes and buttons in the dialog box to choose how the file is saved. Use the Save in box to get to the directory where you want to save your file. Use the Save as type box to select a file format.Use the File name text box to enter a new file name
19. Choosing a File Format <ul><li>If you’re unsure of how to choose a file format, first consider how </li></ul><ul><li>you’ll be using the documents in Kurzweil 3000. </li></ul><ul><li>Here are some basic guidelines: </li></ul><ul><li>If you scan documents , save them, and reopen them in this program </li></ul><ul><li>for reading, use KESI format. This format retains only images and text. </li></ul><ul><li>A KESI file is represented as follows </li></ul>sample.kes
20. File Format <ul><li>If you are using this program to type documents , a good choice is to use </li></ul><ul><li>Rich Text format. This type of file has information about fonts and styles. </li></ul><ul><li>It is represented as follows </li></ul><ul><li>You can also save files ASCII text if you are not sure what to use. This </li></ul><ul><li>file will only contain characters. </li></ul><ul><li>It is represented as follows </li></ul>sample . rtf sample.txt
21. Read the Web Open the Read menu and select Read the Web . If Microsoft Internet Explorer is active on your system, it will appear on the screen. You will also see the Web toolbar at the bottom of the screen.
22. How it looks The program highlights as it reads text Web toolbar
23. Web Toolbar Close Magnification Refresh Syllabication Definition Read Backward Forward
24. View The page view of any document you are working on can be adjusted to your preference. You can also magnify the spoken word, which is a great feature for visually impaired persons.
25. Magnification 1 – 15 Words To set the number of words visible in the Magnifier window, use the slider at the right side of the window. Move the slider downward to see more words at once, or upwards to see fewer words. Each word in the Magnifier always appears in a separate line.* *Please note that as you add more words the magnification decreases.
26. Main Toolbar The Main toolbar provides extensive reference tools. We will take a look at the three most used tools. You can click in a word and apply this tool. You can also type the word in yourself, rather than clicking words already used in the document. Click the Read button in the toolbar to hear the contents of the window read out loud.
27. Synonyms and Syllables The same applies for these tools as well.
28. The OCR Process Each time you scan a page in this program, an OCR process makes sense of the data from the scanner. O Optical C Character R Recognition
29. The OCR Process Each scan generates an image of the page you placed on the scanner. Once a page is scanned, the OCR software program converts that image to a readable document. Your scanner must have an OCR program on it for this to happen, without it you just have a “ picture” of the page which cannot be read by Kurzweil 3000.
30. Using the Scanner Lay the page flat on the scanner glass, print side down Close the scanner lid Click the Scan button on the Main toolbar or Press F9 on the keyboard
31. Options The Options tabs let you control many aspects of appearance and behavior. Access the Options tabs by opening the Tools menu and selecting Options. You must click the Apply button for the changes to take place.
32. Change Reading Voice *If you click on the down arrow a drop down box will appear. A list of names are used to label the different voices. Click the voice you would like. I recommend testing out the voices by clicking the Test Speech button. Reading voice Reading speed Reading aids *
33. Changing Text Colors Text and highlight colors Font settings Highlight settings Text and highlight preview
34. Magnifier Magnifier colors Magnifier font Preview
35. Scanning Scanner brightness Page orientation on scanner Advanced scanning tools Recognition engine Seconds between repeated scans
36. Accessing Help You can access this Help Screen by either clicking on Tools on the Menu bar or by clicking on on the Main toolbar . Click any of the blue, underlined links to enter an area.
37. Shortcuts/ Function Keys Read Slower F12 Read Faster F11 Start New Scan F9 Zoom in 10%/ Zoom out 10% F7/F8 Fix to Text Width/ Fix to Text Height F5/F6 Forward F4 Read/Pause F3 Back F2 Help Topics F1
38. Exiting the Program and Logging out Exit Open the File menu and select Exit or click the Close button in the upper right corner. Log Out Do a ctrl + alt + del and log off . Always chose the logoff option instead of shutdown.
39. Competency Checklist After you go through this training module you will be asked to complete a competency checklist to demonstrate where you stand in terms of functioning in the Kurzweil 3000 environment. Please go through the module at your convenience and make sure to set up an appointment with me. Since the Assistive Technology Lab is the host site for Seniornet classes Tuesday would be the best day to schedule. This will take no longer than 10 – 15 minutes.
40. Contact Information Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments JoAnn Rizzo GPLC Computer Learning Center 412.454.7401 [email_address] Thank you again for your participation.