Ten important rules for safe Internet usage Aimed at higher education students
1. Enable a firewall A firewall will help prevent unauthorised access to your PC from potential hackers.
2. Clear cache/history Clearing the internet cache & history will stop other people that use the same computer gaining access to e-mail accounts. The cache/history saves passwords and other personal information.
3. Use Anti-Virus software Install a good anti-virus program and keep it up to date to protect your PC from viruses.
4. Keep your PC up to date Keep your PC up to date with the latest patches and service packs.
5. Credit card details Never give out your credit card details to other people on the internet, when shopping online always make sure the site is a secure site.
6. POP UPS Enable a popup blocker on your PC.
7. Personal Details Never give your personal details to people over the Internet. Name Address Tel no
8. Don’t believe everything you see or read online.
9. Pictures Never post your pictures online were anyone can gain access to them.
10. Never arrange to meet someone you have met online, unless you have known them for sometime.