Why Participate ?
● Learn a new Technology
● Improve skills in an existing technology
● Get Real world experience with software that is
used by contributing to software that is run by
● Give back to the community.
● Getting a global perspective by interacting with
people round the globe.
What is a Community ?
● People bound by common goals
● Common Philosophy
● Different levels and kinds of expertise
● Technical , Non - Technical
How can you
● Packaging, Release Management
● Manage Teams and Project Management
● Manage Communication
● Write Documentation
Essential Toolbox for Open
● Communication - Xchat , or any IRC client
● Documentation – OpenOffice
● Chat Client – Pidgin / Empathy
● Basic Knowledge of Project Management tools
like Launchpad , Redmine , Pivotal Tracker
● Knowledge of Wiki / Blogs
How to choose the
community for yourself ?
You can base the decision of Right Community for
yourself on some of the following criteria :
● What do you already know ?
● What are your core strengths ?
● What are your career goals ?
● What skills other than technology you want to acquired
? Eg Project Management, Writing
● Do you align with the goals,philosophy of the
● Linux – Ubuntu , Fedora , Debian, Slackaware
You can Learn C, C++,Python,
● MySQL – C, C++
● Apache Server – C ++
● Android – Java
Learn , Contribute, Share, Spread !
Code and Love !
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.