1. TOUR DE TRIVIA FINALS RULES: •T H E W H O L E Q U I Z G O E S I N M O D I F I E D I N F I N I T E B O U N C E •W I T H I N F I R S T 1 0 S E C O N D S O F C O M P L E T I N G T H E QUESTIONPUT TO A TEAM BY THE QM, ANY OF THE REMAINING TEAMS CAN ATTEMPT.+10/-5 ON SUCH ATTEMPTS.•A F T E R T H E 1 0 S E C O N D S T H E Q U E S T I O N G O E S O N R E G U L A R PASSING SEQUENCE.+10 ON DIRECT AND PASS. •D I R E C T Q U E S T I O N S T O T H E T E A M S O N I N F I N I T E B O U N C E PATTERN
2. ROUND 1
3. In 1980, USAC(The United States AutoClub (USAC) is one of the sanctioning bodiesof auto racing in the United States) starterDuane Sweeney started what tradition at theIndianapolis 500 (Indy 500) which issomehow different from the rest of the Autorace including F-1 ?
4. The defending Olympic champion, LynnDavies of Great Britain, told X, "You havedestroyed this event", and in sports jargon, anew adjective —X esque — came into use todescribe spectacular feats. X please?
5. Robert “Bob” Beamon is an American former track and field athlete, bestknown for his world record in the long jump at the Mexico Olympics in 1968,which remained the world record for almost 23 years until it was broken in1991 by Mike Powell. This is the second longest holding of this record, as JesseOwens held the record for 25 years, 1935-1960. Powells record has stood forover 20 years.
6. A combination of tennis, volleyball and medicine ball, X was invented,developed and perfected by White House physician Admiral Joel T. Booneto keep Y physically fit. "It required less skill than tennis, was faster andmore vigorous, and therefore gave more exercise in a short time," Y wrotein his Memoirs."It is more strenuous than either boxing, wrestling orfootball," wrote Will Irwin, a friend of Xs, in a 1931 article "The PresidentWatches His Waistline" in Physical Culture magazine. "It has the virtue ofgetting at nearly every muscle in the body.― Game ?
7. Hooverball is a medicine ball game invented by President Herbert Hoovers personal physician tohelp keep then-President Hoover fit.(http://www.jumpusa.com/hooverball2.html)
8. On 16th December 1997, a 50 over cricketmatch was held at Middle Income Group Groundin Bandra (Mumbai). In this match Australia walloped Denmarkby 365 runs. Who scored more than half of Australia’s412 runs that day?
9. Belinda Clark - she made 229 not out and thus became the first cricketer inhistory of ODIs to score a double hundred.
10. Which sportsman wrote an autobiography titled‘Serious’ - the title being a reference to something heoften said while playing?
11. John McEnroe
12. The top division in this sport is limited to 42players and is normally known by a namemeaning ‗inside the curtain‘.This name datesback to the time when top players were giventhe privilege of being seated in privacy beforetaking their place in the arena. Which sport?
13. Sumo Wrestling –The practice is called Makuuchi.
14. AUDIENCE―While we are in the middle of playing in the mostbeautiful festival of African football, there are people dying in a stadium,"Gabon goalkeeper Didier Ovonosaid. "Im truly sad for the __________ people.‖What is he talking about ?
15. Egyptian clubs Al-Ahly and Al Masry
16. The Curse of the ___________was a superstition citedas an excuse for the failure of the Boston Red Sox baseballteam to win the World Series in the 86-year period from 1918to 2004. While some fans took the curse seriously, most usedthe expression in a tongue-in-cheek manner.The curse was said to have begun after the Red Soxsold______, sometimes called_______, to the New YorkYankees in the off-season of 1919-1920.Before that point, theRed Sox had been one of the most successful professionalbaseball franchises, winning the first World Series andamassing five World Series titles. After the sale they wentwithout a title for decades, as the previously lacklusterYankees became one of the most successful franchises inNorth American professional sports. Give me the sportsmanin question or his nickname.
17. The Curse of the BambinoBabe Ruth also known as the Bambino
18. A popular story is that Sir Charles Moses,General Manager of the AustralianBroadcasting Corporation immortalizedsomething by using a postal address number. There is some debate about whether thestory is true, but ABC sports host Karen Tigheconfirms that the number was in fact chosenfor the purpose. What number ? Complete funda please.
19. P O Box 9994 –Honouring the testbatting average of Sir Don Bradman
20. She started her basketball career in 1994when she led her team of University of NorthCarolina to the basketball championship. Thecareer continued and in 2011 she decided totake some time off from WNBA. However tothe world, she is known for her speed and alsocalled a sprinter. Who is she?
21. Marion Jones
22. The pic shown below shows the snapshot from a webbased newspaper .Fill in the blanks or put the funda.
23. East Bengal and Mohan Bagan
24. On 21 December 2009 FIFA proclaimedLionel Messi the Football World player ofthe Year,but which female football playerwho plays for the Los Angeles Sol andpreviously for the Swedish teamUmea,won the women‘s trophy for thefourth year in succession?
25. Marta (Vieira De Silva)
26. Hitler Youth club once forced a man to coverhis genitals tightly and compete in thewomen‘s events as Germans were notperforming well in the event. This however didnot help Germany as the player still finishedfourth. What is the ―lady name‖ of this player?
27. Dora Ratjens
28. AUDIENCEComputer games based on movies arecommon, but in 2010 Electronic Arts surprisedeveryone with an action-adventure game basedon a 14th century masterpiece of worldliterature . The game is a mix of fast pacedcombat and puzzle solving .What is the two-word name of this hellish sounding game?
29. Dante’s Inferno
30. ROUND 2
31. Connection Please .
32. Only three prime ministers till date to have played First-class cricket.(From left):•Grantley Adams played one match for Barbados as a wicketkeeper in 1925-26but his main claim to fame was as a politician and union leader. He went on tobecome the first Premier of Barbados. The main airport in Barbados is namedafter him and he is also one of the countrys ten national heroes.•Nawaz Sharif was a right-hand batsman who made a duck in his onlyappearance for Railways against PIA in 1973-74. He later served two terms asPakistans prime minister.•Sir Alec Douglas-Home , who died at his home on October 9, 1995, aged 92, wasthe only British prime minister to have played first-class cricket. As LordDunglass, he was a useful member of the Eton XI. In the rain-affected Eton-Harrow match of 1922 he scored 66, despite being hindered by a saturatedoutfield, and then took 4 for 37 with his medium-paced out-swingers.
33. MOZART•Jan- Ove Waldner : Mozart of Table Tennis.•Magnus Carlson : Mozart of Chess..Mohammed Ashraful: Mozart of Cricket
34. Shortly before the match, X entered theAstrodome in Cleopatra style, carriedaloft in a chair held by four bare-chestedmuscle men dressed in the garb ofancient slaves. Y followed in a rickshawdrawn by a bevy of scantily-clad models.Y presented X with a giant lollypop andshe gave him a piglet named LarimoreHustle.X ,Y & the event ?
35. BATTLE OF THE SEXES (TENNIS)Battle of the Sexes II Billie Jean King vs.Bobby Riggs Set 1 2 3 Billie Jean King 6 6 6Bobby Riggs 4 3 3 Date September 20, 1973Location Houston, Texas.
36. CAROLYN DAVIDSON OF THE NIKE SWOOSH LOGO FAME
37. Both have the same nickname .What ?
38. MUSCLE1 is Ken Rosewall, the tennis player. 2 is India‘sspinning legend Venkatapathy Raju. Both werenicknamed ―Muscles―, because they didn‘t haveany.
39. A were initially named B. However,concerns about trademark issuesnecessitated a name change and theytook the name A. As a compensation, Anamed their first work C as a tribute toB. A, B and C please.
40. A is Pearl Jam, who were initiallynamed Mookie Blaylock (B), after thebasketball player. Since they had tochange it, they named their first albumTen (C), it being Blaylock’s jerseynumber.
41. AUDIENCE―Legend‖ who shot to fame in the 2000Sydney Olympics. Name.
42. Eric “The Eel” Moussambani. As to why hebecame famous after Sydney 2000.
43. ROUND 3
44. LONG VISUAL CONNECT (LVC) :• All the slides are related to a common theme.• The teams need to draw the attention of theQM in case they want to guess the answer onany particular slide.• The points and negatives on the slides areshown .•The teams can go for connect on a single slideonly once .
45. SLIDE 1: +30/-20
46. SLIDE 2:+25/-15
47. SLIDE 3: +20/-10
48. SLIDE 4: +15/-5
49. SLIDE 5: +10/-0
50. SLIDE 6: +5/-0
51. SPORTSPERSONS WHO CONVERTED TO ISLAM :Eric Abidal (Bilal)Wayne Parnell (Waleed)Nicolas Anelka (Bilal)Kareem Abdul Jabbar (previously Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor)Frank Ribery ( Tarek)Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay)Mohammad Yousuf (Yousuf Youhana)
52. ROUND 4
53. In 2000, shortly before his death, he saidin an interview: "The maximumpunishment in Brazil is 30 yearsimprisonment, but I have been paying, forsomething I am not even responsible for,by now, for 50 years.― Who speakingabout what ?
54. Moacyr Barbosa
55. Which woman track athlete in 1996 becamethe first to retain an Olympic 100m sprinttitle since Wyomia Tyus in 1968 ?Thisdespite the fact that she was diagnosed withGraves‘ disease in 1990 and that the 100mhurdles was actually her favoured event.
56. Gail Devers
57. VIDEO 1
58. The winner in this iconic race was honoured by theKing of her native country who telephoned her to givehis congratulations, and he declared that all girls bornon the day of her victory were to be named in her honor.Give me her name .
59. NAWAL EL MOUTAWAKEL –The firstMuslim born woman in Africa to be anOlympic champion.
60. CONNECT with relation to a sporting term:
61. PERFECT 10 in Gymnastics(From left)• Nadia Comaneci (Romania) in 1976 MontrealOlympics• Alexander Dityatin (Soviet Union) in 1980Moscow• Nellie Kim (Soviet Union) in 1976 Montreal
62. Which upcoming movie about an athlete turned dacoit who heldthe national record for the 110m hurdles from 1958-1963 ?
63. Connect :
64. AUDIENCEIdentify the encircled person and the sporting connection.
65. Mahatma Gandhi who founded football clubsDurban , Pretoria and Johannesburg together called thepassive kickers football club.
66. ROUND 5
67. Which cricketer‘s cricinfo profile ? A person with his name is immortalised inhistory .
68. Connect :
69. K D Singh Babu and Roop SinghOnly two hockey players after whom international cricketstadiums in India are named :K D Singh Babu stadium in LucknowRoop Singh Stadium in Gwalior
70. He is a former U.S. track and field athlete,motivational speaker, socialite and televisionpersonality. He won the gold medal for decathlon inthe Montreal 1976 Summer Olympics.Following his Olympic victory and the relatedrecognition, his professional career evolved intobeing a television celebrity. By 1981 he had starred inseveral made for TV movies and was Erik Estradasreplacement on the top rated TV series CHiPs. Sincethe 2007 debut of Keeping Up with the Kardashians,he is a regular on the show. Identify this athlete.
71. Bruce Jenner- Kim kardashian’s step father
72. The world record for the sport was held by Patrick Sjoberg before hebroke it in 1988.He went on tobreak his own records in 1989 and 1993, which still stand.Who is this legendarysportsman ?
73. Javier Sotomayor- World High jump record holder
74. On 10 November 2009, at the age of 32, ―X‖committed suicide when he stood in front of aregional express train at a level crossing inEilvese, Neustadt am Rübenberge. Policeconfirmed a suicide note was discovered butwould not publicise its details. His widow,Teresa, revealed that her husband had beensuffering from depression for six years andwas treated by a psychiatrist. After the death ofhis daughter, Lara, in 2006 he struggled tocope with the loss.Who is ―X‖?
75. Robert Enke
76. Known as the first pitch in baseball, this ceremonial ritualhas the guest of honour throwing a baseball from the pitchersmound to home plate to mark the end of pre-game festivitiesand the official start of the tournament. American Presidentsfrom Roosevelt, Eisenhower and Kennedy to Nixon, Reaganand Bush have all thrown the first pitch at some time for theirfavourite teams. X was given this honour in 2009 for thehome team ______ Dodgers against Arizona ,thus becomingthe first from his country to do so . X ??
77. Anil Kapoor pitching for Los Angeles Dodgers
78. AUDIENCEIdentify the person on the right.
79. FIDEL CASTRO
80. ROUND 6
81. IVY LEAGUE
82. X was heavily favored to win a goldmedal at the 1984 SummerOlympics, held at Los Angeles. Inthe 3000 meters final, Y, half astride ahead of X, moved to theinside lane, crowding X, whocollided with Y and fellspectacularly to the curb. X‘s hipwas injured and she was unable toresume the race. She was carriedoff the track in tears by herboyfriend, British discus throwerRichard Slaney. At a pressconference she said that Y was toblame for the collision.Identify X and Y.
83. X= Mary Decker ,Y= Zola Budd VIDEO 2
84. After missing the bus for the Beijing Olympics by threeseconds, this long distance runner achieved the qualifyingmark set for this years London Games by dipping more thana minute under the B standard in the Standard CharteredMumbai Marathon in January this year. He thus became thefirst runner after Shivnath Singh in 1976 and 1980 Olympicsto qualify for the marathon in Olympics. Who is this Indianathlete ?
85. Ram Singh Yadav
86. Released in Nov 2011 in cinemas inEngland , Out Of A Rainbow starswhich two famous characters ?
87. Wenlock and Mandeville-London Olympicsmascots
88. Wayne “The Great one” Gretzky holding aloft the Stanley Cup.