2. Question? <ul><li>Is the lifestyle magazine simply a cynical mechanism to deliver consumers to the body product industry? </li></ul>
3. ..the vehicle that delivers a market Magazines are… … which are then bought by the consumer … to the capitalist organisations which make and sell body products
4. Why does David Beckham feature so heavily in magazines?
5. Feminists criticise lifestyle magazines <ul><li>“ Every woman knows that regardless of her achievements, she is a failure if she is not beautiful… the UK beauty industry takes £8.9 billion a year out of women’s pockets. Magazines financed by the beauty industry teach little girls that they need make-up and train them to use it, so establishing tehir lifelong reliance on beauty products” (Germain Greer 1999) </li></ul>
6. Look at these representations of women found in magazines. How do they exploit women’s anxiety in making them buy things? more's Seven Day Bikini Plan If Jade Goody can do it, you can too
7. How does this subvert the stereotype?
8. <ul><li>To what extent are lifestyle magazines vehicles to exploit women's anxiety in order to deliver them into the clutches of clothes, cosmetics and surgery? </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Are the readers tricked into thinking happiness </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>can be bought in a bottle of shampoo? </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Undergo textual analysis of 3 women's </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>magazines and write up your findings </li></ul></ul>