Berkshire now owns a diverse range of businesses including confectionery, retail, railroad, home furnishings, encyclopedias, manufacturers of vacuum cleaners, jewelry sales; newspaper publishing; manufacture and distribution of uniforms; as well as several regional electric and gas utilities.In 2010 CNBC, Buffett claimed that purchasing Berkshire Hathaway was the biggest investment mistake he had ever made, and claimed that it had denied him compounded investment returns of about $200 billion over the previous 45 years.
"We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful.“The business schools reward difficult complex behavior more than simple behavior, but simple behavior is more effective.
In support world health, malaria, HIV/AIDS, and tuberculosis
Warren Buffett - 5 Minute brief public speaking
Warren Buffett – Berkshire Hathaway Inc. Richard Chan – June 20th, 2012 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Warren Buffett Born August 30, 1930 – 81 years old Businessman, Investor, Philanthropist Chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway Net Worth is roughly $44 billion as of 2012 Recommend for CEO lectures: Strong Business Fundamentals Personal Satisfaction in Life Philanthropic Efforts 2
Berkshire Hathaway Inc. Multinational Conglomerate Holding Company Global 2000 List – 8th largest public company in the world Publicly quote stock whole companies Annualized growth rate 19.8% over 46 years 3
Strong Insights to Business Fundamentals Tremendous discipline in valuing businesses A $1,000 investment at $8 per share in 1960s = $15.4m today Transcends from the school of Benjamin Graham “You dont need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beats the guy with 130 IQ”5
Personal Satisfaction in Career and Life The best investment is the one in yourself Enjoy the normal without the extravagant $100,000 salary “In my adult business life I have never had to make a choice of trading between professional and personal. I tap-dance to work, and when I get there it’s tremendous fun”6
Great Philanthropy Pledged to give away 85% of his wealth in 2006 Displayed extreme frugality to give it all Dislikes wealth transfer "If youre in the luckiest 1% of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99%"7
Closing Full Recommendation on CEO Lecture Series Warren Buffett can help us: Strengthen our knowledge of business and finance Appreciate our way of life and personal satisfaction Engage our interest in philanthropy …Continue to build on the tradition and legacy at RBS 8
List of the Giving Pledge CampaignPaul Allen Carl Icahn T. Boone PickensJohn D. Arnold and wife Laura Irwin M. Jacobs and wife Joan Julian RobertsonNicolas Berggruen George Kaiser David RockefellerMichael Bloomberg Vinod Khosla and wife Neeru Edward W. and Deedie Potter RoseEli Broad and wife Edythe Sidney Kimmel David M. RubensteinWarren Buffett Richard Kinder and wife Nancy Herb and Marion SandlerSteve Case and wife Jean Kenneth Langone and wife Elaine Denny SanfordLeon G. Cooperman and wife Toby H.F. Lenfest and wife Marguerite Roger W. Sant and wife VickiJoyce and Bill Cummings Lorry I. Lokey Lynn SchustermanRay Dalio and wife Barbara George Lucas Walter Scott, Jr.John Paul DeJoria Duncan MacMillan and wife Nancy Thomas Secunda and wife CindyJohn Doerr and wife Ann Doerr Alfred E. Mann Jim and Marilyn SimonsBarry Diller and Diane von Furstenberg Joe Mansueto and wife Rika Harold Simmons and wife AnnetteLarry Ellison Bernie Marcus and wife Billi Jeff SkollChuck Feeney Michael Milken and wife Lori Patrick Soon-Shiong and wife Michele ChanTed Forstmann George P. Mitchell Tom Steyer and wife Kat TaylorPhilip Frost and wife Patricia Tom Monaghan James E. Stowers and wife VirginiaBill and Melinda Gates John Morgridge and wife Tashia Ted TurnerDavid Green and wife Barbara Dustin Moskovitz Sanford Weill and wife JoanJeff Greene Elon Musk Shelby White, widow of non-signatory Leon LevyHarold Hamm and wife Sue Ann Pierre Omidyar and wife Pam Charles Zegar and wife Merryl Snow ZegarLyda Hill Bernard Osher and wife Barbro Mark ZuckerbergBarron Hilton Ronald PerelmanJon Huntsman, Sr. and wife Karen Peter George Peterson 17
Additional Resources The Essays of Warren Buffet: Lessons for Corporate America by Lawrence Cunningham Annual Berkshire Hathaway Reports by Warren Buffet The Intelligent Investor by Ben Graham Common Stock, Uncommon Profits by Phillip Fisher Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist by Roger Lowenstein The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life by Alice Schroeder The Warren Buffett Way, Second Edition by Robert G. Hagstrom, Kenneth L. Fisher and Bill Miller 18