1. Search & Selection to the Financial Services IndustryOliver James Associates is an established searchand selection consultancy operating exclusivelywithin the nancial services industry. We are ableto provide a full range of bespoke recruitmentservices tailored to your needs, including retained,contingency and interim solutions.We are proud to be regarded as the chosenpartner for a large proportion of the Insurance,Asset Management and Banking industries. Ourreputation has been forged through consistentdelivery, quality and e ciency of service. We areable to provide our clients with an unparalleledlevel of in-depth understanding of the nancialservices market place. Each consultant withinOliver James Associates operates within a verticalmarket, specialising in a speci c nancial servicessector and operating across a set discipline. This inturn enables us to identify, attract and introducethe top percentile of talent within the market toour clients.
2. Structure Chart Finance Audit, Risk, Compliance Change Management Actuarial Legal & Claims Underwriting Permanent Permanent Permanent Permanent Permanent Permanent £40,000-£250,000 £35,000-£350,000 £40,000-£250,000 £35,000-£350,000 £45,000-£500,000 £40,000-£350,000 Contract Contract Contract Contract Contract Contract£250-£2000 per/day £250-£2000 per/day £250-£2000 per/day £250-£200,000 £250-£2000 per/day £250-£2000 per/day Legal Lloyd’s of London Solvency II • Commercial • Active Underwriter • Company Secretariat • Class Underwriter Non-Life Actuarial • Corporate • Senior Underwriter Accountancy Internal Audit • Business Change • Underwriter • Capital • Policy Wordings • IT Change & Reinsurance • Assistant Underwriter • Pricing • Team Moves• External Reporting • Operational Audit • Regulatory • Reserving• Internal Reporting • IT Audit • Restructuring • M&A• Lloyd’s Reporting & Insolvency• Capital Management Experience Levels • Shipping, Energy &• Systems Accountant Trade Life Insurance Actuarial Company Market• Treasury • Head of Projects / • Reporting• Fund Accounting • London Risk Management Programmes • Valuations• Financial Controls • UK Regions • Programme Managers • Pricing • Change Managers Claims • International • Product Development • Operational Risk • Business Analysts (Quali ed & Mainstream) (Europe, Middle East, Asia) • Marketing • Financial / Market Risk • Test Managers • Underwriting • Capital • Insurance Risk • Test Analyst • Accident & Health (Head of - Assistant) Tax • Credit Risk • Business Development • Aviation & Space • Casualty / • Broker Relationship Pension Actuarial Non-Marine Liability • Risk Engineering• Corporate Tax • Contingency• Life Tax Specialisation • Corporate Trustee • Energy• Tax Compliance • Valuations / Funding • Financial Guarantee• VAT Compliance • Regulatory • Defined Benefit • Life Reinsurance • Financial Eﬀectiveness • Defined Contribution • Marine • Financial Crime • Product Development • Buyout • Motor • Advisory • Distrbution & Marketing • Property • Director of Underwriting / • Monitoring • Cost Management • Reinsurance CUO • Financial Promotions • Operational Eﬀectiveness • Personal Accident • Head of Class • Training • Integration Investment Actuarial • Political Risk • Lead Underwriter Corporate Finance • Governance • Strategy & Growth • Shipping • Underwriter • Claims • Consultancy • Anti Money Laundering • Trade • Assistant Underwriter • Underwriting • Asset Management
3. Selection of Successful PlacementsAA Head of Customer Data & Pricing Axa Life Chief ActuaryACE European Group Director of Planning & Analysis Axiom Chief ActuaryACE European Group European Financial Controller Bank of America Lead ActuaryACE European Group Legal Counsel Barclays Director, IT AuditACE European Group Chief Actuary Barclays Global Head of Product GovernanceACE European Group Director, European Audit Barclays Wealth Chief Risk O cerAEGON Head of Market Risk & ALM BDO Director, ComplianceAET UK Head of Risk Bell & Clements Head of AuditALICO Life International Product Review Actuary Ben eld Deputy Chief ActuaryAlliance Trust Head of Risk Ben eld ReMetrics Senior Team LeaderAllianz Legal Counsel Brightoil (Hong Kong) Legal CounselAllianz, Italy Chief Reserving Actuary Brit Insurance Senior Claims Adjuster (Catastrophic Risk)Alston Gayler Director of Finance Brit Insurance Head of Syndicate ReportingAmlin Plc ISDA Negotiator Canada Life Head of AMLAmlin Plc Head of Finance Change Canada Life Chief AccountantAmlin Plc Head of Financial Reporting Canada Life Head of AMLAmlin Plc Financial Controller, UK Canada Life Legal CounselAmlin Plc Head of Tax Capita Life & Pensions Legal CounselAON Legal Counsel Capita Life & Pensions Solvency II Programme ManagerAON Legal & Claims Counsel Catlin UK Capital ActuaryAON Claims Adjuster (Sydney) Charles Taylor Consulting Financial ControllerAON Claims Advocate (FI/D&O/BBB/PL) Chartis Actuarial ManagerArgo Head of Audit Chartis Capital Management LeadArthur J Gallagher Financial Controller Chartis Programme DirectorAspen Re Head of Technical Accounting Chaucer Plc Head of Investment ReportingAspen Re Head of Syndicate Accounting Chaucer Plc Head of FinanceAspen Re Head of Business Partnering Chubb Insurance Financial Controller, SyndicateAvantage Director of Risk Chubb Insurance Head of European Risk & ComplianceAvantage Director, Compliance Clyde & Co Senior AssociateAviva Head of Management information Combined Insurance Chief ActuaryAviva Director of Consolidations Combined Insurance Regulatory Legal CounselAviva Director of Reporting and Consolidations Cooper Gay Group Financial ControllerAviva Financial Controller - AGC Cooper Gay Head of Internal Audit & RiskAviva Head of Consolidation Deloitte & Touche Director, InsuranceAviva Finance Business Partner Deloitte & Touche Director, ComplianceAviva General Counsel Deloitte & Touche Director, Data ManagementAviva Director of GI Actuarial Deloitte & Touche Programme DirectorAviva Head of Internal Audit Deloitte & Touche Director, Regulatory AdvisoryAxa Group Chief Risk O cer Deloitte & Touche Director, AuditAxa Life Director of Finance Deloitte & Touche Partner, IT Audit
4. Selection of Successful Placements (Continued)Endurance Professional Lines Claims Adjuster HSBC Life Interim Chief ActuaryERGO Senior Life Actuary Imagine Underwriting Internal Audit DirectorErnst & Young Manager, Actuarial & Insurance Invesco Senior Compliance ExecutiveEverest Re Senior Claims Manager (New Jersey) Ironshore Inc Head of Internal AuditExporters CFO Jubilee Insurance Chief ActuaryFidelity Compliance Manager Kiln Group General Counsel & Company SecretaryFinancial Reporting Cncl Director of Projects Kiln Head of Syndicate ReportingFlagstone Senior Claims Adjuster (Direct & Facultative) Kiln Property Claims Adjuster (North America)Fortis Insurance CFO - GI KPMG Head of Finance Transformation - LifeFortis Insurance CFO - Life KPMG Principle ConsultantFortis Insurance Head of Compliance Kuwait Re ActuaryFriends Provident Head of Group SII Capital Reporting Legal & General Director of AuditFSA Groups Policy Actuary Legal & General Senior Policy ManagerFSA Chief Actuary Legal & General Head of ReportingGard FD&D Manager London Legal & General Head of Group ConsolidationGenerali Appointed Actuary Legal & General Head of Finance ChangeGenerali Latin American Legal & Claims Counsel Liberty Syndicates APH Claims UnderwriterGenworth Head of Financial Management Liberty Syndicates Head of PricingGenworth Director of Finance Liberty Syndicates Head of FP&AGenworth CFO Liberty Syndicates Head of CapitalGenworth Director of Compliance Liberty Syndicates Head of ReservingGri n Insurance Assoc Claims Adjuster (Non-Marine) Liberty Syndicates D&O/ FI Claims AdjusterGroupama Group Compliance Director Lloyd’s of London Senior Risk ManagerHardy Underwriting Claims Adjuster - Property & Treaty Lloyd’s of London Senior Claims ManagerHardy Underwriting Financial Controller LV= Head of Life ReportingHardy Underwriting Programme Manager LV= Director, Strategic PlanningHiscox Head of Audit LV= Director, Life Actuarial ServicesHiscox Deputy Chief Investment O cer LV= With Pro ts ActuaryHiscox Technical Claims Manager LV= Chief Actuary and AFHHiscox Finance Director, Guernsey Marsh UK Claims Performance & Operations LeaderHiscox First Party Property Claims Underwriters Marsh SVP FINPRO Claims AdvocateHiscox Reinsurance Claims Underwriter Marsh VP FINRPO Claims AdvocateHolman Fenwick Willan Senior Associate (Paris) Marsh Senior Business ArchitectHSBC Legal & Litigation Counsel (Dubai) MetLife Director of TaxHSBC (Retail) Corporate Counsel MetLife Legal CounselHSBC Group Insurance Head of Strategic Analysis & Capital Mgmt MGM Advantage Chief ActuaryHSBC Insurance Head of Risk MGM Advantage Marketing ActuaryHSBC Insurance Head of Audit MGM Advantage Head of FinanceHSBC Insurance Brokers Litigation Counsel MIB Director – FinanceHSBC Life CFO, Life Mitsui Sumitomo Ins Deputy Head of MI, Planning & Analysis
5. Selection of Successful Placements (Continued)Munich Re (Germany) Head of Corporate Pricing Modelling RSA Emerging Markets Chief ActuaryMunich Re Underwriting Head of Internal Audit RSA Emerging Markets Chief Internal AuditorNavigators Head of European Operations RSA Emerging Markets Head of RiskNavigators European Actuary SCOR CFO, UKNavigators Head of Actuarial SCOR Legal CounselNavigators Senior Claims Adjuster - Energy & Marine Scottish Re Financial ControllerNavigators Solvency II Programme Manager Skandia International International Financial ControllerNorton Rose Of Counsel, Singapore Skandia International Chief ActuaryNorton Rose Partner (Equity) Skandia UK Senior ControllerOdyssey Re Senior Pricing Actuary Skandia UK Employment LawyerOld Mutual Head of Audit Investment Management Standard & Poors Director – ECM Review ProjectPaci c Life Re Marketing Actuary Standard & Poors DirectorPartnership Assurance Head of Management Information Steamship Senior Claims ExecutivePhoenix Head of Technical Reporting Sterling Insurance Chief Risk O cerPhoenix Senior Legal Adviser Sterling Insurance Chief ActuaryPhoenix Head of Actuarial Systems Swiss Re Deputy Head of Investment ReportingPhoenix Capital Actuary Swiss Re Director of TaxPrudential Group Head of IFRS & US GAAP Swiss Re Head of Risk MetricsPrudential UK Director of Innovation Swiss Re Industrial Property UnderwriterPrudential UK Head of Financial Risk (Annuities) Swiss Re Director of FP&APrudential UK Head of Solvency II Talbot Underwriting Head of Group RiskPWC Director Talbot Underwriting Non-Marine Claims AdjusterPWC Principal Consultant - Life Tawa Associates Deputy Chief ActuaryPWC Partner, Audit Thomas Miller Director of ClaimsQBE Europe Legal Counsel Torus Financial Controller, UKR&Q Deputy Chief Actuary Torus General Counsel & Compliance O cerRBS Insurance Internal Audit & Risk Partner Towergate Underwriting Senior Commercial UnderwriterRBS Insurance Senior High Net Worth Underwriter Towers Watson Head of GI, SwitzerlandRBS Insurance Head of Home Pricing and Underwriting Transatlantic Re Regional ActuaryRBS Insurance Change Risk Partner Travelers Solvency II Actuarial ManagerRSA Finance Business Partner – Special Projects Travelers Senior Development UnderwriterRSA Financial Controller Travelers Property Claims Adjuster – Binding AuthorityRSA Director of Audit Watkins Syndicates Head of AuditRSA Senior Corporate Motor Underwriter Willis Employment & SharePlan LawyerRSA Lead Trader Global Corporate Willis Casualty Manager (Actuarial)RSA Chief Actuary, Italy XL Insurance Legal CounselRSA Director of Finance, More Than XL Insurance Senior Professional Indemnity UnderwriterRSA Head of Risk, UK XL Re Finance DirectorRSA Emerging Markets CFO, Estonian Zurich Marine Claims Adjuster
6. Recruitment Methodology
7. ConsultationTo ensure a successful conclusion to a recruitment assignment, it is essential that it beginswith an in-depth consultation with the client. When Oliver James Associates takes on anyrecruitment assignment, it is imperative that the initial consultation provides us withdetailed information in order to attract the client the best possible candidates within themarket. Key points to be covered shall include; An analysis of the business Competitor benchmarking Understanding of the job speci cation Short/medium/long-term goals of the position Reporting lines Promotional prospects Culture of team/department Remuneration package Interview processes Company strategy Pro le of the desired candidateOliver James Associates are in a position to truly consult with you. We will be able toprovide you with an understanding of the current market place, market remunerationpackages, availability of individuals in the industry, your positioning within the marketplace and how best to position yourself to attract the best quality of talent available.
8. SearchOur thorough search methodology is comprised of the following: Headhunting This is our key activity and is what sets us apart from our competitors. We invest a lot of time in networking and headhunting high-calibre candidates that have the necessary skills for the job. The gure for our headhunting skills speak for themselves: so far 74% of all our successful mandates have been made through proactive resourcing. Referrals We nurture our business and our relationships to yield the best possible results for our clients and our candidates. Our reputation for success, professional approach and consultative ability has gifted Oliver James Associates with an exemplary referral network, providing easy access to usually unobtainable talent within the nancial services market. Advertising We advertise across all forms of recruitment medium to attract proactive seekers of new appointments within the nancial services market. Active and passive candidates The results of our headhunting and other candidate-sourcing activities are stored in our extensive database, which is speci cally tailored to the nancial services market and allows us to make advanced searches based on criteria speci c to the needs of the client.Our careful searching allows us to fully penetrate the market and source the bestcandidates to suit our clients’ roles.
9. SelectionAll candidates generated through head-hunting, referrals and responses toadvertisements are amalgamated with our extensive database. Our current databaseconsists of a signi cant volume of high calibre active and passive nancial servicesprofessionals. It is our ability to intricately map the nancial services market that providesOliver James Associates with leverage that separates us from our competition.A selection process then occurs between the relevant vertical market consultants todiscuss their most suitable candidates. We then complete the following steps: We contact the relevant candidates to discuss the client, the team and the role, supplying them with the formal job speci cation. We assess their suitability to the role, re-con rm their current situation and ensure that we have their most up-to-date CV. Once we have quali ed their suitability and interest, we obtain written con rmation that Oliver James Associates is representing them for the role. We will then create a shortlist which we will subsequently present to our client. We also save our clients a lot of the legwork: we carry out referencing checks and screening services on their behalf.
10. Presentation & InterviewCandidates will be presented to the client via a curriculum vitae and candidate synopsis.It is this additional synopsis which provides the client with a summary of; Current remuneration Financial expectations Notice period Career aspirations Character assessment Reasons for interest in the opportunity and business Motivations for leaving current employer Summary of relevant experience Current activity of the candidate in the recruitment market placeOnce we have reached an agreement with the client over the suitable candidates thatthey wish to interview, we coordinate the interviews at all stages, preparing ourcandidates accordingly, recon rming their interest at all stages, understanding anyconcerns that need addressing and ensuring that the risk of any unexpected decisionchanges are minimised.In a competitive market place, it is imperative that after each successful interview weprovide our client with comprehensive feedback. Quality feedback provides our clientswith a deeper understanding of a candidate’s feelings and expectations. Greaterknowledge produces a greater success ratio.
11. O er Management Our consultants will o er you guidance about how to achieve the best possible o er to secure the selected candidate without unnecessary negotiations. We will provide the chosen candidates with the o er and provide guidance and manage the process of accepting the o er, possible counter o ers and negotiation of notice periods.
12. Post Acceptance From acceptance of an o er to the start date, a void of communication can occur and momentum can break down. It is at this time that a good consultancy has the foresight and professionalism to keep the process moving towards its ultimate and successful conclusion. We will liaise with both parties, providing any advice that may be required, meeting the candidate again, and assisting the candidate with anything we can, for example relocation issues.